U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 12:40 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,610,566 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of back in the mid 90's a mama cat went back into a burning building repeatedly to try to save her kittens.

And to think humans toss and abandon infants and little kids like pieces of unwanted trash.

Courageous Mama Cat Who Sustained Horrible Burns Trying to Save Her Kittens Gets Rescued | One Green Planet
Quote:
They say there are no lengths that a mother won’t go to to help her children, and the story of Flame the courageous cat proves this. Flame was found covered with burns by members from the organization Alley Cats and Kittens. They discovered that a fire had broken out on a nearby farm two weeks ago and from the looks of Flame, she had likely sustained burns trying to rescue her babies who she had been nursing in the farmhouse’s shelter. Unfortunately, Flame’s babies were nowhere to be found.

Alley Cats and Kittens volunteers urged community members to keep an eye out for Flame’s kittens; however, it is most likely that they did not survive. This brave creature was in intensive care for two weeks at Rufford vets and the compassionate veterinarian even took Flame home for a time to show her some love and to help her cope with such trauma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:31 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,140,756 times
A sad story with a good ending. Hope she gets adopted to a good home. She deserves it.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:03 PM

15,597 posts, read 9,626,377 times
that poor cat-ditto what cat dad said.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:21 PM

2,996 posts, read 1,724,666 times
Me too. Two tragedies is enough in such a short period of time. I'm sure she will be adopted and loved for the rest of her days.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:13 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,956,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Reminds me of back in the mid 90's a mama cat went back into a burning building repeatedly to try to save her kittens.
I'm reminded, too! Although stories didn't "go viral" online in those days, word spread nonetheless. That time the ending was happier for all involved. The saga of "Scarlett" and her heroics even made it into a children's book. Briefly:

Firefighters kept encountering kittens as they fought a blaze at an abandoned Brooklyn auto repair garage. The kittens had been placed in the alley outside. A box was soon found for them. Then Mama Cat was found. She'd escaped across the street with most of her fur burned off and her eyes singed shut. When placed in the box with the kittens, the first thing she did was touch noses to be sure all five were there. The family was rushed to a veterinary emergency hospital. With the exception of one of the kittens, all survived the ordeal and - not surprisingly - found loving homes. Mama Cat, dubbed "Scarlett" did regain her sight.

Time marches on. Scarlett died a few years back at the approximate age of 14 (I remember reporting on it here when I found out from a "viral" article.) By now her offspring have either reached the end of their lives or soon will. However, it's obvious that her spirit lives on with the OP, me, and untold numbers of others. Somewhere she's smiling down on "Flame" and saying, "You tried, girl. That's what counts."

Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM

7,653 posts, read 5,140,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
I'm reminded, too! Although stories didn't "go viral" online in those days, word spread nonetheless. That time the ending was happier for all involved. The saga of "Scarlett" and her heroics even made it into a children's book. Briefly:

Firefighters kept encountering kittens as they fought a blaze at an abandoned Brooklyn auto repair garage. The kittens had been placed in the alley outside. A box was soon found for them. Then Mama Cat was found. She'd escaped across the street with most of her fur burned off and her eyes singed shut. When placed in the box with the kittens, the first thing she did was touch noses to be sure all five were there. The family was rushed to a veterinary emergency hospital. With the exception of one of the kittens, all survived the ordeal and - not surprisingly - found loving homes. Mama Cat, dubbed "Scarlett" did regain her sight.

Time marches on. Scarlett died a few years back at the approximate age of 14 (I remember reporting on it here when I found out from a "viral" article.) By now her offspring have either reached the end of their lives or soon will. However, it's obvious that her spirit lives on with the OP, me, and untold numbers of others. Somewhere she's smiling down on "Flame" and saying, "You tried, girl. That's what counts."
That story was also in one of the "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul" books. I remember it well. It's good to know that Scarlet and her babies went on to have long lives. Thanks for that little update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or