Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 05:45 AM

20 posts, read 21,771 times

Advertisements

I seriously don't get it. He will come up to me, lay down on his side right next to me putting all of his paws to the side exposing his underside so I will rub his belly and he'll bite me! WTF? He doesn't bite me any other time. I don't get it, why lay down and expose his underside like that if he's just going to bite me for rubbing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 05:49 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Both of mine do the exact same thing, and they are as smart as whips!
Think about it, they are tricking you into rubbing their belly and then getting a good swipe in at their human? That's pretty smart, or devious; depending on how you look at it

Old 06-22-2016, 06:46 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Once my cat did that. If I were you I will give ca call to vet. Some times they do when they have a pain too. But OP follow the link and get more info. That helped me too.

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com...ur-cats-belly/

Last edited by Zeurich; 06-22-2016 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Adding the link

Old 06-22-2016, 09:57 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstromos View Post
I seriously don't get it. He will come up to me, lay down on his side right next to me putting all of his paws to the side exposing his underside so I will rub his belly and he'll bite me! WTF? He doesn't bite me any other time. I don't get it, why lay down and expose his underside like that if he's just going to bite me for rubbing it?
It's a game I call Tummy Minefield, that some cats like to play. The cats object of the game is to see how many times it can trick the human into touching the (forbidden) belly, and if they can nail you on the first touch.

Seriously though, when a cat rolls over and shows you its belly, it doesn't necessarily mean it wants a belly rub. The cat is showing you trust and acceptance, but nothing else. Depends on the cat, some like tummy rubs, and some don't. If your cat tries to bite you when you try it, he's telling you "no. I don't like that". Best advice is to stop doing it.

Only one of my 3 girls allows some limited belly touching, and I respect their wishes.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:14 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norstromos View Post

He is NOT "inviting you to rub his belly". He is displaying his trust in you by exposing a vulnerable area.

Since he has shown that he does not like you to rub his belly, you have betrayed that trust. From now on, don't pet his tummy and you won't get bitten.

Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
I've got one that does the same thing. "Here's my belly" means "I trust you". But in some cats, it most definitely does not mean, "Please rub my belly". When my boy shows me his belly, I scratch him behind his ears. He likes that a lot.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:24 PM

313 posts, read 255,463 times
Baby boy is always very happy to see me when I get home, he greets me at the door and then always jumps into one of the kitchen chairs for a pet. I can usually sneak in a belly rub at this time because he's so happy to see me. All other times, I usually get a bite.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
I have three cats. Only one likes belly rubs and I think it's because when he was a baby I kind of trained him to show me his belly. Now he does it to get attention. The other two look at me like I am crazy when I touch their bellies, so I rarely do it.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times
Cats ALWAYS look at humans like we're crazy.

And they're usually right.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:22 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Cats still have an instinct to latch onto and bite anything alive that touches their belly. It's hunting instinct. Some cats do it others don't but it goes back to prey drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats