U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:13 PM

1,746 posts, read 4,474,821 times

Advertisements

My 6 yr. old male kitty, Chester, is driving me crazy. He wants attention so much of the time and won't leave me alone. He's bored with playing ball, chasing "da bird", chasing jumbo paperclips sliding across the floor. His favorite activity is going outdoors on leash to explore (I live in the country). I took him out this a.m. but he is so bored and then starts pawing/clawing at me and attacking Miss Kitty. Poor guy--what can I do for him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 06:31 PM

5,828 posts, read 11,478,088 times
Provide lots of Forts. Rotate them of course, you don't have to have a living room full of Forts if you don't want to. (I don't mind though).

A big brown paper bag is a Fort. So is a box turned on it's side with the flaps hanging down. A newspaper is actually a portable tent (at least was for one of mine, he's gone now. But he would dive under the Newspaper Tent, let it settle on his back, then creep around the house with it on.) Most cats might not do that, but they like being in it anyway.

A big pile of brown wrapping paper is a wonderful fort!

My girls have all kinds of forts and tents, some temporary (as in disposable/recyclable), some permanent but rotated, some permanent fixtures.

Vary how you play with the string on a stick and wand type toys and tossing chasing toys. Use the Forts and cat tree. Drag it slowly under that newspaper or a rug. Watch him tell you how he prefers it; still moving slowly? Just a bit peeping out? All the way under, so he can Catch the Bump Under the Rug?

Crumple up a piece of paper and throw that instead of the usual throw toys.

My six year old just invented a new Game a couple of weeks ago. I got out one of the very old string on a stick toys, not much string left, stick held together with duct tape, a tiny scrap of fur left from a once well loved fur mouse tied on the end.

Because the string is so short, and I didn't feel like getting on the floor or bending over with it, I took it to the couch. She thought that was a fun new Game! The fur end gets dropped into the corner of the couch, dragged on the back and any number of other sneaky movements. After a few days I noticed she was trying to hide her body behind the pillow at the end of the couch to stalk and pounce. So I moved the pillow down to not quite the middle of the couch. That created a whole new way for her to stalk and pounce and we've been playing it for several weeks now.

Line up a bunch of toys in a place where he can knock them off. Just pick them up and put them back whenever he does it.

Make sure he has a nice high perch to jump up on to climb and provide a variety of scratching furniture for him. Those usually do best as staying in fixed places, a cat likes to have routine scratching places.

Games times are more successful if done around the same routine most days. A kitty likes to know what to expect. A little game in the morning before you leave for work, a vigorous romp of some type before supper, and a final intrigue before bed.

Stuff like that.

And yes, I'm going to say it, if you aren't already, feed a diet rich in moisture and meat based foods. Canned foods with meat and not too many fillers, or raw, or both. Diet plays a much larger role in behavior and temperament than people might realize.

Last edited by catsmom21; 07-07-2016 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 07:01 PM

5,828 posts, read 11,478,088 times
Crumple up a piece of paper and throw that instead of the usual throw toys. Many cats love crumpled paper balls. They are fun to bunny kick at and shred. Leave one in his toy box too.

And don't forget a nice cat sized card board box for lounging.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 PM

15,032 posts, read 9,231,103 times
Some cats are just naturally prone to being bored. My son's cat chewy is that way, when my son isn't home he comes to me, looking for attention and something to do. I have put a towel on top of my computer table so he can lay there while I am using it. He watches the cursor on the screen, and that entertains him for a while. I've put videos on the computer screen that are supposed to be for cats to enjoy, but he doesn't seem to notice those.

I also get down on the floor and play with him, and he also loves to be brushed. It has also helped having Daisy in the house, she is younger and loves to wrestle and play. That keeps him occupied for a while too.

But, I am like you, I can see that he is bored and it bothers me to see him like that.

Don

Old 07-08-2016, 05:47 AM

4,190 posts, read 11,976,049 times
I agree with the replies. Change-ups of toys and locations, and additions of new things, do help a kitty with a short attention span.

Some kind of "challenge" toy might hold his attention longer. I'm thinking of something that is interactive such as one of those tube-shaped disks with a ball encased inside that the cat can bat but can't get out. It's anthropomorphizing (applying human traits upon animals) to believe a cat gets frustrated with such a toy. Another might be a battery-operated toy ... here's a link to a description of seven of them:
The 7 Best Battery-Operated Toys to Keep Your Cat Active | iHeartCats.com All Cats Matter

These types of things, including Forts that catsmom21 mentioned, can encourage self-play. Other kinds of interactions with you, like don1945 described, can also be boredom-busters.

A fun activity I do on occasion is to litter my stairway with toys. I sit at the top with a box of toys and starting throwing them one by one down the stairs. The cats do one of two things: either sit there and watch my foolishness or attack a flying toy. I'll leave the toys there, wherever they land, for a while after we're done. During the rest of the day, or even during the night if I've left the toys there, the cats will continually return to explore, investigate, play with this scattering of toys.

Cats' attention spans do change over a life time. With Chester, he's now leaving young adulthood, a time like in kittenhood when a speck of dust floating in sunshine probably caught his attention. He knows now, from experience, that the speck of dust is nothing and no longer is interesting. So, he wants the new-and-different :-) And yup, when cats want something they certainly know how to get it ... have to love them for that!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:56 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,672,940 times
Do you have a chair or window perch so he can look out a window? I have bird feeders and a squirrel feeder, and our cats love to watch the activity from that. If you're able to open a window, he would probably enjoy the smells/sounds too. If we have multiple windows open, our cats will go from window to window to check out what's going on.

Rotate your toys. They become "new" after they're put away for a few days.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM

1,654 posts, read 1,022,932 times
Our cat was like that. He was always bored and would make big MEOOOOWWW noises while walking around bopping things. He'd come flying out from under tables attacking out feet as a game. Finally we got another cat and he was in love! They play all the time and our little Oliver is now never bored with his new friend.

I'd advise getting him a cat friend!

Old 07-14-2016, 09:08 AM

267 posts, read 137,726 times
If you have the time and money you could build an outdoor enclosure. We started out with a small area for ours and just kept building unto it. Most cats love the outdoors and seem to be more content if they are outside to explore even though it is fenced off. They find moths and beetles to run after and squirrels to watch or just lay in sunshine. I sit out in our cat enclosure with the cats sometimes and it is quite relaxing watching them. You can make it fancy or just basic, the cat will love it whatever you decide on. Since we built our own with a lot of wood and materials we had laying around from different projects it wasn't expensive, of course once we added more on to it the costs went up.

To be safe we keep our guys indoors at night and we always keep in mind that they are not 100 percent safe out there. We also have a fenced in yard that helps to add to the safety. If there are coyotes in the area there is an extra step to building an enclosure that includes a bag of cement to secure the fencing at the bottom, you can find the instructions online.

If I were you I would just try a simple enclosure first and see how it goes.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,399,121 times
Leather shoelace on a stick. You can wave it around while you melt your brain watching TV.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:21 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,399,121 times
I have those cheap plastic shelves you buy at Wally World for less than $20 by a couple of windows. I clipped dish clothes onto them to make them less slippery. (Or if you like your cats aerialists...) The cats lounge frequently as they kill all the squirrels that come into the yard and pile them up next to the dead birds.

If your cat is nicknamed "Thunder Chunky" you may want to put some ballast on the bottom shelf. When they get bored with that setup, if ever, drape it was an old bath towel or something, to close in the back and one side. Instant new place to hang out. Apply catnip to get the idea across to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats