Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:27 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

We found our best sitters ever at WallyWorld. A sheet of information with tear off phone numbers taped to a shelf at pet supplies. Sisters in nursing school. They moved in for the duration of our trips, took extremely good care of TwoStep, had peace and quiet to study, a full fridge/bar and hot tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:12 AM

457 posts, read 496,845 times
We found a good pet sitter who is also a vet tech. She will text me to let me know everything is fine, or quickly answer my text if I need an update (common for me).

If it bothers you that much to have people in your home when you're not there, there's always the nanny cam option.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
I'm actually considering buying an RV just so I can get out of the house and travel in my retirement. Not many hotels are cat-friendly, even my own friends and relatives don't want them staying in their houses, and my two don't walk on leashes. I would NEVER board them (they would die a thousand deaths), and I'm not fortunate enough to have anyone I can trust with if left at home. One needs daily medication, and both have health issues, at around 12 years of age, that involve poop and vomit. I've asked at all the vets' offices, and no tech wants the job. It's a problem! Eventually I'll transition to just a single small dog I can easily travel with, but I might briefly go pet-free in between just to see what it's like to get on a plane and go somewhere and not worry about my pets. It's been a long time!

Old 07-28-2016, 10:45 AM

236 posts, read 251,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I do not want to put my cat into a small confined kennel. It is very hard to find someone who will care for him in their home. I do not want anyone coming into my home while I am away. Any ideas?

If you are in the Baltimore area I can recommend a reputable pet sitter, which is the best option I think, depending how long you will be gone.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:11 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I wish we had someone. My husband and I have not had a vacation (even overnight in over 15-16 years) due to not wanting to board or leave our animals. So one of us always stays home to care for the animals.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
I wish we had someone. My husband and I have not had a vacation (even overnight in over 15-16 years) due to not wanting to board or leave our animals. So one of us always stays home to care for the animals.
That is so sad.

But, it is sort of surprising that you could not find even one person that you could trust in 15 to 16 years. I would think that between all of your friends, co-workers, neighbors, fellow church members and people who already know that you trust with your pets (veterinary office, groomer, etc). you could find someone who would treat your animals well. That is a real shame.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,692 times
I guess you could say it's more of us not wanting to leave them. Even when one of us has to go out of town we see how the animals react...circling the house, sleeping by the front door (when they usually sleep in bed with us) waiting for the one to come home etc. So we couldn't imagine boarding them or leaving them in an empty house and having someone just come by a few times a day.

We knew having animals we would be like this so it really is on us. But I sure would love a a little getaway with my husband :-) Luckily our youngest just graduated college and lives close to us so I am hopeful that one day soon we can at least go for an overnight somewhere. But we have two large 110 lb dogs that she would not be able to handle walking and have lots of cats, some with Cerebellar Hypoplasia and one that is now having seizures. So our household is a lot for someone else to take care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That is so sad.

But, it is sort of surprising that you could not find even one person that you could trust in 15 to 16 years. I would think that between all of your friends, co-workers, neighbors, fellow church members and people who already know that you trust with your pets (veterinary office, groomer, etc). you could find someone who would treat your animals well. That is a real shame.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:16 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Every year at the same time, my two Sons and I go away for 4-5 days. Rather than stress our 5 cats out, we prefer to leave them in the homes they know, so we put down many bowls of food, tons of water, and a bunch more litter boxes. We have done this for 30 years, with various fur buddies.

They do fine, and I think they actually love it because they have all that food sitting there at their disposal.......no dieting that week ! We put down more food and water than they could consume in 2 weeks or more.

We also do not want a cat sitter coming in for fear one of them would escape out the door. It is far safer to have them securely locked in the home they share with us. My ex wife could come over, but there is no need and then there is that risk of them getting out.

Don

Old 07-30-2016, 11:46 AM

914 posts, read 737,671 times
I'm quite lucky in that I have a number of good friends who live relatively close and who are happy to feed my cats when I am going away. One friend asks her neighbour to feed hers, and in turn she feeds her neighbour's cat when she goes on trips. I know that you said that you don't want anyone in your home but it would seem to be a better option than a kennel. Is there anyone that you are comfortable with who you could ask? I can't imagine asking a friend to take mine in - they can be quite destructive, plus cats aren't great with change of homes anyway.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:14 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
We get a trusted family friend to drop in once or sometimes twice a day to feed water and do the kitty litter been a convenient arrangement for years. Last year when we returned from a 6 week trip for the cat it was like we never left,when we came in the door he didnt move from his favorite resting area,the only reception we got was he opened one eye then went back to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats