Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your cat doesn't have to like your Mom for her to be able to watch her for you. Cats can be very moody in my experience.

My cat started hating me after my extended absence with employment (several months) and bonded with my husband when he moved ahead to another city for a job. I moved as planned some months later to join my husband in our new location, and my cat totally ignored me for almost a year, until we moved into a new home.

It was very strange, but I think moving upset some sort of hierarchy and I was back to being her favorite person. So, it could be any new change that your cat associates now with your Mom.

Paladosa has a very good suggestion. Have Mom feed her often.
I'm glad your cat is no longer ignoring you! My mom came over today and the cat stayed upstairs for the most part although she was not hiding under the bed this time, so that's a good thing. She did feel comfortable enough to come downstairs to eat while my mom was there and my mom gave her a treat. I know they don't have to be best buddies for my mom to watch her while I'm on vacation, but I would just be able to have a better time knowing that they were getting along well. My mom always watches her when I go on vacation, so this isn't a new thing and I do think that she'll warm up to her a bit more when my mom is the only one feeding her for a few days. I won't be gone too long because I miss my cat when I'm away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm glad your cat is no longer ignoring you! My mom came over today and the cat stayed upstairs for the most part although she was not hiding under the bed this time, so that's a good thing. She did feel comfortable enough to come downstairs to eat while my mom was there and my mom gave her a treat. I know they don't have to be best buddies for my mom to watch her while I'm on vacation, but I would just be able to have a better time knowing that they were getting along well. My mom always watches her when I go on vacation, so this isn't a new thing and I do think that she'll warm up to her a bit more when my mom is the only one feeding her for a few days. I won't be gone too long because I miss my cat when I'm away!
She probably will. Even the most feral outdoor cats will warm up to their can-openers after a while. As long as she isn't exhibiting actual fear-aggression towards your Mom, I think things will go ok while you're away. It's good for you to be concerned about them, but try not to let it spoil your vacation.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,603,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
She probably will. Even the most feral outdoor cats will warm up to their can-openers after a while. As long as she isn't exhibiting actual fear-aggression towards your Mom, I think things will go ok while you're away. It's good for you to be concerned about them, but try not to let it spoil your vacation.
Thanks! I only go on one vacation per year so I hope my cat doesn't get too mad about it.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Thanks! I only go on one vacation per year so I hope my cat doesn't get too mad about it.
My cats won't let me leave the house for more than a day, and they confiscated my passport years ago. So haven't been on vacation in recent memory. But it's ok, I'm retired and don't really need one.

Hope you enjoy yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats