Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 05:41 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

This is ingenious: the No-Bowl allows your cat to use his hunting instincts.

I just saw this on PetTV and plan to order one. They are brand new and will ship in September.

The NoBowl Feeding System
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 05:52 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,481 times
How clean was that floor?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:02 AM

965 posts, read 938,350 times
Awesome. I have used the eggercisor cat toy that is similar (but hard plastic). I filled it with kibble for my cats as a treat during the winter when they couldn't go outside, and they loved those things.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:12 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
While I think the idea is somewhat interesting, the NoBowl system means feeding dry food - unacceptable in my book. Perhaps pawing at a hollow mouse filled with kibble may satisfy a hunting instinct, but the reward that a cat gets from a real hunt is not kibble. It's moist meat (which is why feeding wet canned food is more nutritious than dry).

What is often forgotten is that domestic animals and those in captivity have a life that's less stressful in one department - they don't have to hunt for food. It's provided. They don't have to worry and fret about that aspect of survival. That's a much better life than their counterparts in the wild. However, animals that are hunters by nature have that instinct and it must be satisfied, and that's why there are other enrichments (toys) to fill that need. Some of these toys can dispense treats as a reward for the hunt, but a cat shouldn't have to work hard to fulfill all his nutritional requirements.

I honestly feel that sometimes these gadgets are purposely put out there to play upon on unfounded guilt that we are somehow ruining an animal's life because we don't create an environment that duplicates nature. Frankly, I don't want to duplicate nature. Why would I want to make my cat expend valuable energy "hunting" for food when he could be spending his time just playing with a catnip mouse with an already-full belly?

Old 08-20-2016, 06:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
I hate that kind of thing. And yes, mainly because it encourages feeding junk food to cats.

However, in addition it encourages people to ignore their cats even more. Whatever happened to actually engaging with the cat, you know, playing, interacting?

A couple of play sessions every day will satisfy kitty's need to stalk pounce and chase.

My answer to those stupid "kibble dispenser" things is to get down on the floor with the cats and toss out freeze dried chicken breast pieces (I use the PureBites brand but there are more to chose from)

The cats gather round and I call out a cat's name and toss the chunk of real meat. The cat dashes across the room chasing, hunts it down and eats it, then comes back to wait for her next turn.

The cats are getting a safe healthy treat, they are getting my attention, they are getting exercise and mental stimulation, and they are having fun.

All with no kibble in sight.

In addition I play with them twice a day. And meal times are bonding times filled with each cats' own special preferences and rituals, when they get to exercise their own idiosyncrasies, communicate with me, and eat real food..

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-20-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-20-2016, 06:36 AM

PS I just visited the website. What a load of baloney! Every word in that spiel is false. And all this talk about what is "natural" for a cat..when there is nothing more unnatural than a cat eating hard dry nuggets, usually made from corn.

I bet the pet food industry is behind this.

And of course, the next concern is, how many cats will die from blockages from eating that fabric after it has been stuffed with greasy fat covered kibble so many times it becomes saturated, and the cat tries to eat it.

This is about the most unnatural feeding system invented.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:52 AM

965 posts, read 938,350 times
Wow. I had no idea that anyone would think it is a bad thing to help a cat get more exercise, and more stimulation. I know of far too many obese cats (and dogs), who expend NO energy for the food that is put in front of them.
Those owners are not going to change, so this looks like a win for those animals. IMO of course

FWIW I feed a home prepared raw diet to my cats, and I have for 10 years. However, treats and some extra exercise in winter makes them super happy. They think kibble is the best thing in the world, whodathunkit?

My cats getbas much attention as they would like from me, and they play with each other, and the dogs. But.... I also have loads of toys for them, so they can choose what they prefer.

If I fed canned and kibble, I would certainly feed the kibble only in one of these interactive containers, not in a bowl. Same for my dogs, I would use something like a buster cube.
I recommend that to anyone who gives their pets less than a LOT of interaction. Encourage that owner behavior or not, at least the animals brain is not rotting.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:03 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
IMO if you want to feed a cat right feed them mice and let them do the real work.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeace View Post
Wow. I had no idea that anyone would think it is a bad thing to help a cat get more exercise, and more stimulation. I know of far too many obese cats (and dogs), who expend NO energy for the food that is put in front of them.
Those owners are not going to change, so this looks like a win for those animals. IMO of course

FWIW I feed a home prepared raw diet to my cats, and I have for 10 years. However, treats and some extra exercise in winter makes them super happy. They think kibble is the best thing in the world, whodathunkit?

My cats getbas much attention as they would like from me, and they play with each other, and the dogs. But.... I also have loads of toys for them, so they can choose what they prefer.

If I fed canned and kibble, I would certainly feed the kibble only in one of these interactive containers, not in a bowl. Same for my dogs, I would use something like a buster cube.
I recommend that to anyone who gives their pets less than a LOT of interaction. Encourage that owner behavior or not, at least the animals brain is not rotting.
How is feeding junk food from a dispenser giving cats more exercise and mental stimulation? The concept eludes me.

In the video a kitten picks it up, shakes it, the junk falls out and the adult cat and the kitten eat it. There is no exercise involved. There is no mental stimulation involved.

Of course cats "love" kibble. It's sprayed with fats and animal digest to create that "love" which is actually an addiction, not love. No cat would ever eat it, otherwise.

Well well, just another way to keep the vets and the big pet food companies in business.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Haha, our cats got a "Snacky Mouse" for Christmas. You fill it with treats, and the cat has to bat it around to get a treat out. Daisy destroyed it in one day. I found the body in one room and the head in another room, and no treats to be found.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats