Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 08:43 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times

Advertisements

To update what I said earlier, we keep dry food out along with the Fancy Feast. The amount of food in the dry bowls will keep them fed for about a week if there is no other source. They have a water fountain that holds a gallon of water constantly circulated and filtered. So if Boss Lady and I are both unable to get home they have a chance to get by. I might have to call our sitter from the hospital after waking up a few days after an auto accident. I want the fur babies to have a chance to last that long. (There's also a notice in the foyer to call her if the letter carrier notices our box hasn't been emptied lately and does a welfare check. Our sitter brings in the mail when we're gone, so this would be a red flag for the carrier.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 05:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Well we had our first fight this morning. Regina did not want to take her medicine. Even wrapped in a towel she fought me by kicking inside the blanket. I finally got the medicine in, and as I released the towel she scratched her way down my leg and then tore off to her room. She didn't come out for about an hour and ignored me the rest of the morning. She slept most of the afternoon and has finally forgiven me. However we will need to repeat the medicine again this evening. I think I will put my long pajamas on before I attempt it.
Attached Thumbnails
New Cat Owner-regina-my-leg.jpg  

Old 08-27-2016, 06:01 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Well we had our first fight this morning. Regina did not want to take her medicine. Even wrapped in a towel she fought me by kicking inside the blanket. I finally got the medicine in, and as I released the towel she scratched her way down my leg and then tore off to her room. She didn't come out for about an hour and ignored me the rest of the morning. She slept most of the afternoon and has finally forgiven me. However we will need to repeat the medicine again this evening. I think I will put my long pajamas on before I attempt it.

Ouch.

How I do it, is I kneel on the floor with kitty in between my legs. I cross my feet so she can't back up. Make sure you can reach the meds before putting kitty in this position. Once in place, I can lift her chin and open her mouth to insert meds. Some kittys are easier than others. Josette is VERY easy. Electra...well, sometimes I do have a fight with her but once I get her in that position, she can't move and I can usually get the meds in her.

Cat

Old 08-27-2016, 06:04 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Quote:
Yikes!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:09 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
What's the medicine for?

Jeans will protect better than pjs. Keep that scratch clean and use some neosporin twice daily.

The holding position Maggie mentions is what I recommend too. more settled you can start getting her used to having her paws handled and then move on to nail trimming.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:25 PM

The medicine is because she just got spayed. I have an issue with my knee that makes it difficult to kneel, but I think I can find a way around that. It makes sense to do this on the floor.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:16 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
The medicine is because she just got spayed. I have an issue with my knee that makes it difficult to kneel, but I think I can find a way around that. It makes sense to do this on the floor.

You mean pain medicine? That only has to be squirted into the mouth. It is not meant to go down the throat and will not be effective if you try to get her to take it that way. It is meant to be absorbed by the mucus membranes in the mouth. Aim for the tongue or gums.

Wait until she's sleeping, slip the syringe between her lips and squirt. That is all that is needed.

Once this is over you will want to practice a hold with her, so that you don't have these kinds of troubles in future if she needs meds. If kneeling doesn't work for you find another way that does. Perhaps setting her on a table.

Try different ways.

Practice the hold daily, giving a healthy treat such as PureBites after. This way, when it's the real thing you won't have so much trouble.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:57 AM

No it's amoxicillian to prevent infection. I did give it to her this morning while she was napping and it went well
We are going to get our first thunderstorm today. I wonder how she will react?

Old 08-28-2016, 12:20 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Quote:
No it's amoxicillian to prevent infection. I did give it to her this morning while she was napping and it went well
We are going to get our first thunderstorm today. I wonder how she will react?
For giving oral meds, I use the exact same procedure as CatwomanofV. And yes however you end up immobilizing her, it's best to do it on the floor.

I have to say here that in the past 30 years I've have had somewhere around 17 or 18 cats spayed and neutered, and not once did my vet give antibiotics for a 'possible' post-op infection. Sounds to me like your vet just did that as a precaution (and perhaps to up the bill a bit). We were always told to keep an eye on the incisions for any sign of redness or swelling, and that was it. There was never any problems post surgery with any of them. I think you may well be putting your cat, and yourself, through stress that really isn't necessary.

Also good advice to doctor that scratch with antibiotic ointment. Any time a cat scratches or bites you, you need to wash the wound and apply an antibiotic immediately. Usually that's all that's necessary and it will heal ok, but if you don't treat it quickly, it can become very sore, and possibly infected.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
When I give an oral solution, I scruff mine by the neck, then insert the dropper just enough at the juncture of the jaw so that the solution will enter the mouth. I lay their heads over to the side so the solution just goes right in the mouth. I can do it with them standing on the counter or my lap, or lying down. When I had my terrible boy, I'd wrap him in a towel and do the same thing. I can't get down on my knees at all (not if I want to get up again), so that's out entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats