Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM

457 posts, read 496,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Now I just can't relax with kitty, not knowing just when he's going to get me. So quick in's and out's are the plan for the next 6 days. I wanted to give him lots of love & affection, but failed due to his aggression-- just going to protect myself from being shredded.
If you were pet sitting for me and my cat was being aggressive towards you. I would have no problem with you handling the situation like this. As long as the cat's needs are being taken care of, save yourself and leave quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 01:09 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Thanks, you've been helpful. Went over with treats and catnip this morning. Put both on kitchen floor. Changed water bowl, restocked kibble, scooped pan and was out before kitty got his talons into me.

Why I say bi-polar is because cat is initially friendly/affectionate. Greets me, sniffs me, even licks my legs. Rubs against me, marking me with his scent. Comes next to me on couch. Then, later, when I'm relaxed and not being mindful, cat stalks me, runs out and claws my legs -- all without warning. (this is when I'm walking about). On the couch he will bite me sometimes, but hasn't broken the skin yet -- love bites but hard ones.

Yesterday, kitty also attacked my legs as I was sitting and using the (ahem) facilities, which must have been comical to see as I tried to fend off kitty, hoist my shorts and take care of other necessities. He got me at my most vulnerable moment.

I have tried playing with feather on a wand with cat, but he's not interested. Tried his squeaky mouse toy -- not interested.

My inner cat whisperer is telling me, kitty is peeved his owner has left him for a bit and is taking it out on me...

Now I just can't relax with kitty, not knowing just when he's going to get me. So quick in's and out's are the plan for the next 6 days. I wanted to give him lots of love & affection, but failed due to his aggression-- just going to protect myself from being shredded.
From what you describe, it may not be an aggressive nature. Sounds more to me like this cat was exposed to inappropriate type play when it was young and growing up, or was not well disciplined by its mother cat, or perhaps both. It may not have learned proper restraint during play or when excited. Most cats, even the laid-back love bugs, can & will use claws and teeth inappropriately if over-stimulated, but rarely out of the blue for no reason. Being taught boundaries at a young age is vital if you want to avoid the type of behavior that you're seeing in this cat.

If that is the case here, it will take a lot of time, patience, and effort to change this behavior or mitigate it. His inappropriate play (if that's what it is) could also be worse because he's upset by his human's absence.

I really don't agree with terms like 'crazy, pysco, bi-polar. etc., being applied to a cat. There is a reason for everything they do, and are many times they are trying to tell us something. The problem is trying figure out what it is. Best advice to you is wear long pants when you visit him until your services are no longer needed. You probably aren't going to 'fix' him in a few days.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Bingo! Catdad7x. The cat's owner told me she found him as a 5 week old feral kitten and she raised him from then on..so, no, he wasn't taught how to play more gently or how to channel his over-excitement...

I, perhaps, applied the term bi-polar to this cat incorrectly. But he's definitely a Jekyll & Hyde -type personality. Never have met a cat quite like him before...all the other cats I have known have been gentle and loving. Except one formerly feral rescue who bit me while getting petted sitting on my lap...wasn't paying attention to signs and the cat was likely over-stimulated by the stroking...

Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Bingo! Catdad7x. The cat's owner told me she found him as a 5 week old feral kitten and she raised him from then on..so, no, he wasn't taught how to play more gently or how to channel his over-excitement...

I, perhaps, applied the term bi-polar to this cat incorrectly. But he's definitely a Jekyll & Hyde -type personality. Never have met a cat quite like him before...all the other cats I have known have been gentle and loving. Except one formerly feral rescue who bit me while getting petted sitting on my lap...wasn't paying attention to signs and the cat was likely over-stimulated by the stroking...
If he was abandoned by his mother (or removed) at 5 weeks old, it was a bit too early. He was at the age where he was beginning to flex his muscles so to speak, and was never taught 'boundaries'. He may also have been the only survivor of his litter, and never benefited from instructive play with siblings. I'm not condemning his humans, as the 'damage' may already have been done before they got him.

I don't recall if you said how old he is now, but if he's still fairly young there's a good chance he will mellow a bit as he ages. Best thing to do is pay close attention to his body language when interacting with him. I imagine his designated humans already know that.

One of my 3 girls, Gypsy, is a very loving little cat and very people oriented & possessive where I'm concerned. But she has a short fuse, and is easily over stimulated if you aren't paying attention. She's got me many times (not badly), and it was always my fault for becoming distracted and not seeing her signals. To someone who didn't know her, she might seem to be 'aggressive'. But that's not the case at all. She was found as a 7 week old stray, and I've always thought she was separated from her mother and/or siblings much too soon. She also doesn't like other cats, and becomes defensive around them, further evidence that she may have been an only kitten.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Yep. I've taught boundaries to oscelots, I'm sure a housecat can learn them.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Yep. I've taught boundaries to oscelots, I'm sure a housecat can learn them.
Any tips would be appreciated and I'll pass on to the owner...right now she's relying on the advice of a cat communicator and from what I can see, it's not changing the cat's behavior. Telling him not to be a bully sure isn't working as she was advised to do...not working for me and not working for the owner as her scarred legs attest to.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:47 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Any tips would be appreciated and I'll pass on to the owner...right now she's relying on the advice of a cat communicator and from what I can see, it's not changing the cat's behavior. Telling him not to be a bully sure isn't working as she was advised to do...not working for me and not working for the owner as her scarred legs attest to.
Refusal to interact is the easiest way to rebuke a cat. When one of mine bites me too hard I withdraw for a count of ten. Then we play again. They also learn "ouch!" very quickly, it's an announcement that they went too far and they will respond. Tying "ouch" and withdrawal may be needed at first. The ocelots had their claws trimmed but they still had their teeth. After a week with them I could cluck my tongue at them and they'd stop what they were doing and find something else to play with. (Clucking the tongue works better than a clicker because a clicker can be misplaced, but I have never lost my tongue. )

The rules should be set by you, not the furbeast. Be consistent and firm and they'll learn. This is how their mom teaching them in the wild. Watching a mother Siberian tiger disciplining a rowdy yearling is ... educational.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:43 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Never go over there in shorts again, wear a pair of old, thick jeans! lol

Old 08-24-2016, 09:52 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
We have been blessed in that every cat we have ever had has not had a mean bone in their body, but not all cats are that nice. My one son's live in GF had a cat that would be rubbing up against you one minute and wanting to be petted, then flip out and try to scratch and bite you the next. I never knew when the evil cat would come out, so I avoided her when I visited them.

Don

Old 08-25-2016, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have been blessed in that every cat we have ever had has not had a mean bone in their body, but not all cats are that nice. My one son's live in GF had a cat that would be rubbing up against you one minute and wanting to be petted, then flip out and try to scratch and bite you the next. I never knew when the evil cat would come out, so I avoided her when I visited them.

Don
Yes, Don, that's the way it is with this cat. The sudden, unexpected attacks (or rough play) are what's making me fearful of this kitty. Little warning, fast action. I'll be glad when my responsibilities end for this kitty care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats