U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:00 AM

7,594 posts, read 5,105,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Indoor only cats NEED company. Cats are social animals, like (some) humans. If they have a friend who never goes away they'll be happier than if they're alone. My 14 yo 8 pound tomcat sleeps next to my 3 yo 28 pound tom cat, just because he likes the youngster.

Totally agree. Cats are much more social creatures than many people think. A single, solitary cat might be fine for someone that's not working, or retired, and home most of the time. I also agree with everyone's advice to try and find a bonded pair of adult cats. That would be the ideal solution for you and the cats. Also, if you find the right ones, try to arrange the adoption during a weekend, or long holiday, so you can be with them those first few days while they adjust. Might help reduce any stress factor they might have from their new surroundings.

With your situation, you have a perfect opportunity to get a difficult to adopt pair of cats out of the shelter, and hope you can make that happen. Would be a win-win for all concerned.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,459,937 times
Missy Hissy would have fine being the only cat with the ladies from "Arsenic and Old Lace". They would have been properly doting and she would have allowed that to continue.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
You may want to give it a little time. Get used to the job, get to know your way around the city, maybe volunteer at a shelter until you are somewhat settled and ready. Please consider costs and responsibilities associated with furries - apartment deposit, vet, food, litter can add up in a hurry.

Old 08-26-2016, 03:28 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,222,930 times
I agree with the above poster about getting use to the job and such, But given that I am VERY much a cat person! I also agree with the ones who suggested you get TWO. I have always regretted not getting a pair from the same litter.

Before I retired I was a cook and I cooked on a tow boat on the Mississippi River and I had 4 cats that were left at home for 28 days at a time. I had someone to come in and look after them almost every day and sometimes she would spend several hours playing with and loving on them.

The POINT here is how much I was gone and how well they did! The only problem I saw was I was only home 6 months out of the year and they were here 12 months, home alone most of the time and the house was more theirs than mine so they did as they pleased and they did form a habit of getting on the kitchen counters and table. I refused to spend my home time scolding them all day every day so I had no problem with that habit and I live with that choice in exchange for their companionship and love.

Years have past and I only have 1 of them left, so now I foster and I am getting to have the litter mates at last and they are such a joy to watch. Don't cheat yourself out of that experience!

Old 08-26-2016, 04:27 PM

285 posts, read 148,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You may want to give it a little time. Get used to the job, get to know your way around the city, maybe volunteer at a shelter until you are somewhat settled and ready. Please consider costs and responsibilities associated with furries - apartment deposit, vet, food, litter can add up in a hurry.

Um... I appreciate the concern but I'm not a young child and know my life situation, as well as apartment costs as deposits which is how I know I'll be able to afford to have pets.

Old 08-26-2016, 04:50 PM

Remember, two can nip as cheaply as one.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:21 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,752,923 times
I'd suggest either getting a mature cat -- at least 1.5 years old -- that won't need as much rambunctious play time, or get two kittens together. Personally, I was happy getting a mature cat. More than one would be too much to handle for me, like dealing with two litter boxes, two carriers for trips to the vet, two cats needing cat sitters or stays at the kennel when I'm on vacation, etc.. I don't have a car, I rely on public transit. It's tough enough lugging litter and food for one cat, never mind two. But, your mileage may vary... if you have a vehicle, or a good cat sitter who doesn't mind two, then you're all set.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,644,308 times
Actually, a good cat, or rather pet sitter, usually doesn't mind how many animals you have. When my late H and I had our large house, we had 9 cats and 3 dogs. It didn't cost any more to have them looked after when I went on travel and he went with me than if we'd had 2 pets. I've had 5 cats looked after for up to 2 weeks at a time in this house and it only cost $30 daily for 2 visits. The sitter even brings in the mail and puts out the trash daily, as well as the trash cans on pick-up day. She waters the garden too!

Old 08-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Actually, a good cat, or rather pet sitter, usually doesn't mind how many animals you have. When my late H and I had our large house, we had 9 cats and 3 dogs. It didn't cost any more to have them looked after when I went on travel and he went with me than if we'd had 2 pets. I've had 5 cats looked after for up to 2 weeks at a time in this house and it only cost $30 daily for 2 visits. The sitter even brings in the mail and puts out the trash daily, as well as the trash cans on pick-up day. She waters the garden too!
A good sitter is priceless. Ours sends us pictures of the guys when we're away.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:42 PM

3,270 posts, read 1,944,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Missy Hissy would have fine being the only cat with the ladies from "Arsenic and Old Lace". They would have been properly doting and she would have allowed that to continue.
I had to laugh at this. Most of our cats over the years have loved to cuddle with their other cat buddies. But I can think of two who clearly wished they were our only cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or