U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times

Advertisements

Don, I never said anything about your lifestyle. What I said was, that old saw that "cats are independent" is a fallacy. Perhaps read my post again? Like most people I work a 40 hour work week and have other interests besides. I also make time every day to do the things with my cats that I advise in every post I make in this forum. I do practice what I preach. It isn't difficult, really.

But I will reiterate that the "cats are independent" fallacy is just that, a fallacy. Cats, generally speaking, are loving, social, intelligent, responsive creatures. They require just as much attention as any other living being. They also enjoy solitary times, like other living being. As I said before, the more time one spends interacting with them, the more the cats' personalities will be developed.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-04-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:38 PM

15,600 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Yeah, sorry it just caught me the wrong way. All of us on here love our cats, or we wouldn't have a forum dedicated to them (my sons are ready to put me in a home, "You are actually on a CAT forum ?" ) But our little buddies are more than pets, they are like family and a very important part of our lives.

Every cat is different too. Some could care less if you were there or not, or if they were alone, and others cling to you like a glove. We have been lucky to always have had cats who were self sufficient and who enjoyed their time either alone or with the other cats.

Sometimes I open the door and they are there to greet me, and other times they are sitting on the couch or on the floor and they barely notice I am home. Even Mama Cat ,at the shop , sometimes she eats and hangs out with us , and sometimes she goes off and sits on top of one of the cars in the parking lot. Cats just seem to have different moods, just like we do.

Don

Old 09-05-2016, 11:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 5,108,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
Well it'll be a while, so you'll be waiting but you should find my on the pets page eventually.

I'm now trying to figure out a way around the declawing rule. I really don't like being scratched but I hate declawing even more, so that's all I'm trying to figure out now.
While I applaud you being against declawing (), it really shouldn't even be an option or debatable question. As others have said, there are ways to redirect inappropriate scratching of furniture. All it takes is a bit of patience and effort.

If you are concerned about yourself being scratched, you are probably worried over nothing. I have lived with multiple cats (as many as 7 at one time), over the past 25+ years, and I can count the number of times I've been scratched by them on one hand...... and every single time was either an accident or over-stimulation by me. None of have ever bitten me, or my late wife. Unless you have a cat with a behavioral problem, such as fear-aggression, there won't be intentional scratching of you.

The best advice has already been given. Do not use your hand, or any other part of you as a cat toy. Always respect whatever limits your cat has for handling/cuddling/petting/etc., to avoid over-stimulation, or the cat will most likely tell you to stop in an unpleasant manner

Old 09-05-2016, 01:58 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,460,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My one son went away Thursday on a trip and is returning today, he asked me to check on his two fur buddies, so I went down yesterday and spent some time with them. They were fine, had a ton of food and water, all I had to do was change the litter. When I got there they were napping on his bed.

Point is, cats are by nature very independent, and get along just fine without us holding their paw every day.

Don
This is why two cats are minimum for me. I tried to go to bed last night and had three out of our four sleeping dead center on my doss in a star formation, tail-to-tail.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:08 PM

514 posts, read 538,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I guess it all depends on what kind of relationship you want to have with your cat. If you (general you) ignore your cat and leave him for long periods, dump kibble in a bowl now and then, he will become "independent", "lazy" "destructive" and all those other negative things people claim cats are.

It is a fallacy that cats are "independent by nature". Cats are social animals. Generally speaking they like to be around their humans, and any other animals in the household. They form deep loving bonds with people, other cats, dogs, rabbits....and so on.

Spend time with the cat, interacting with play routines and grooming sessions and meal times (feeding species appropriate food, no dry) and cuddling on a daily basis, your cat's personality will develop delightfully and you will have a real sentient interactive companion in your home.
This isn't true whatsoever. Cats do not depend on socialization for comfort. Whatever social behavior you perceive is an anthropomorphic projection made by you as a human. Cats are only social with us because they associate us with food, and as such re-configure us as surrogate mothers. In fact, almost all cat behaviors exhibited toward humans are the very same behaviors a kitten exhibits toward its mother.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 PM

5,876 posts, read 11,756,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
This isn't true whatsoever. Cats do not depend on socialization for comfort. Whatever social behavior you perceive is an anthropomorphic projection made by you as a human. Cats are only social with us because they associate us with food, and as such re-configure us as surrogate mothers. In fact, almost all cat behaviors exhibited toward humans are the very same behaviors a kitten exhibits toward its mother.
Hilarious!

Old 09-05-2016, 08:31 PM

15,600 posts, read 9,664,364 times
Quote:
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Cats do, of course, like us because we feed and care for them, but they also love us because of our relationships with them. Hunger is not their only motivation for wanting us around, they do like to just hang out with us. Mine will lay near me and have one paw on my arm, something I and they enjoy. Right now, I have 2 of the 3 laying right by me, and they just ate, so I know they like to be near me, even when full of food.

That being said, cats also like some independence from us too. Ours will go off and lay on the lanai or atop a cabinet, just to be alone sometimes. Sometimes they hang out with each other and we don't even know where they are in the house. It is like how some cats love other cats and some prefer to be loners.

Lucky just jumped up on my lap and is purring (makes it hard to type) so I know he likes this little "me and him" time as much as I do.

Don

Old 09-06-2016, 08:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 5,108,665 times
Quote:
So you're saying that humans are the only species on the planet capable of any kind of emotional bond with a different species, other than for food/shelter/protection/surrogate parents. Strikes me as usual human arrogance, but whatever. Believe what you want, but few here will agree with you.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Non-cat people just can't figure them out.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:54 AM

If anyone thinks cats don't socialize voluntarily, try MAKING them socialize. Have 9-1-1 on speed dial. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or