U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM

514 posts, read 539,204 times

Advertisements

My only point is that cats do not biologically depend on socialization to survive as a species. Dogs, on the other hand, have known to die from stress as a result of being separated from their packs. I like cats but I don't want this guy to get some false impression that a cat will suffer biologically as a result of him being gone for 8 hours a day from the fanatics on this board. The cat will be fine, and probably will sleep the entire time, just as he would most of the day if you were home anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:44 PM

5,877 posts, read 11,767,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
My only point is that cats do not biologically depend on socialization to survive as a species. Dogs, on the other hand, have known to die from stress as a result of being separated from their packs. I like cats but I don't want this guy to get some false impression that a cat will suffer biologically as a result of him being gone for 8 hours a day from the fanatics on this board. The cat will be fine, and probably will sleep the entire time, just as he would most of the day if you were home anyway.

Oh yes, by all means start calling the members here names, that will get your opinion listened to and respected very quickly.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:15 PM

7,628 posts, read 5,118,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
That wasn't they way you worded your previous post, and you made it sound as though cats only socialize with us because we feed them. That was what some of us took issue with. The poster that referred to 'long periods of time' wasn't talking about an 8 hour work day, but more likely a period of days, a weekend, a vacation, etc., as some folks do because they (like you) don't seem to think that's cats need our companionship and are perfectly fine being on their own.

Of course cats are going to be left alone during work hours. There's no way to avoid it. All my cats were alone for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, before I retired. It probably bothered me more than it did them. But we all made up for it when I got home & on weekends.

None of the cats I've lived in the past 25 years have ever be left alone over-night... not once. If that makes me a fanatic in your eyes, so be it. I'll consider it a compliment.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:29 PM

31 posts, read 20,619 times
I never had a cat or a dog as a child . When I bought my townhouse in 1998, I first considered getting a dog, but I was working 50 hours a week at that time, and thought my work schedule would not be good for a dog. So I adopted an 18 month old cat from a local rescue group. Magic was a great cat and my buddy for 15 years; he went to the Rainbow Bridge in 2013. Magic adapted to my work schedule; fortunately for most of the time I was Magic's guardian I worked a better schedule of 40 to 42 hours a week. At first I considered getting a second cat as a friend for Magic, but never did, and Magic did well as an only cat.

A few months after Magic went to the Rainbow Bridge in 2013, I adopted a 10 year old, pretty shy cat from a local rescue group. The rescue group wanted Molly in a quiet home, one with out little kids. Since I don't have any kids, and I am still working full time, Molly does have a quiet home. She did not have a cat in her first home so she was used to being the only cat.

Even though I won't have Molly for 15 years as I did with Magic, I don't regret for a minute adopting a 10 year old cat. She is a very sweet, and loves her food.

So perhaps a senior or adult cat (7 years or older) who needs a quiet home would work well for you.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:00 AM

15,645 posts, read 9,683,968 times
Although I think "fanatic" might have been a little strong as a word to use to describe some members here, I kinda get the point of that post. There seems to be two levels of members here, and both are entitled to their own opinions and to treat their cats in the best way they know how.

1) Group 1 feels that cats need our constant attention, are never left alone, are to be fed only wet food, and are a little on the fragile side.

2) Group 2 (where I sort of fit in) sees our little fur buddies as fairly independent, able to take care of themselves to a large degree, having food preferences like we do (some like wet some like dry some like both) and can be left alone for extended periods of time, as long as food and water are left for them.

Maybe it comes down to the lifestyle of the owner. Some people may be retired or not work, and are able to be there 24/7, while others have jobs and a life outside the home. But cats do adapt and are quite capable of taking care of them selves and entertaining themselves when needed.

I do find it mildly offensive when some members take the position that we, who choose to feed our beloved kitties anything but wet food, are doing wrong. If that is how you want to feed your cat, and your opinion, fine, but don't make me look like I am abusing or mistreating my own because I do not have the same beliefs as you. NO ONE IN THE WORLD loves their cats more than I do, and just because I do not snuggle with them 24 hours a day does not diminish that fact.

Don

Old 09-13-2016, 07:31 PM

285 posts, read 149,038 times
Well thanks for the list of advice. I'll be sure to try and remember it all. I just would feel bad to realize cats really are as needy as dogs and my work schedule might not be best. Now I'm learning it'll be fine. I just gotta now wait until the right time.

I already know where to go. I've seen prices of cat posts, scratching posts/boards, toys, collars (in case kitty gets out), food, litter, and other necessities. So far it's just actually doing it and seeing if my plans follow through.

Thanks for the advice again .

Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 PM

3,273 posts, read 1,951,012 times
If you are worried about your kitty getting out, consider having him/her microchipped. They can easily do it when the kitty is being spayed or neutered. I was on the fence about microchipping for a long time, but eventually came around when I read stories of happy reunions. I always worry that a cat will bolt when it is at the vet (when its carrier is opened), because they are usually so frightened there. You would have to make up your own mind what is best for your cat, of course.

Come back when you get the kitty so we can tell you more about how to make sure you are catering to its every whim.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:39 PM

15,645 posts, read 9,683,968 times
Don't put a collar on your kitty. I know they have breakaway ones now, but when Sniffy was alive, one morning I found her collar hooked on the top of a kitchen chair in tact. She evidently got impaled there over night and luckily got free before she strangled to death.

I have never had a collar on a cat ever since.

Don

Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 PM

997 posts, read 513,271 times
I am a cat person but I have dogs now.

Some cats are great pets and friends, and others are duds. That might be mean to say but that is my experience.

The last time I got cats was a pair of brothers from the same litter. I believe that all pets need a friend. One was an awesome cat and the other was a dud. He is just not the kind of cat I prefer.

I really loved a few of my cats, and didn't like others that much. When you get kittens, you don't know how they are going to turn out. An adult cat is mature and you know if you like each other.

Kittens are very cute but they are obnoxious and they will destroy the house and make a nuisance of themselves. I remember waiting for them to grow past that stage.

Regardless of what you do, or what you did those are things to consider. You don't like every person you meet, and you may not like every pet equally. I don't, but some people do.

Cats are very social and they do like their cat packs.

My cats were always indoor/outdoor so they went out and had their adventures. In that case a single cat is fine. Either way is ok. A cat doesn't require a companion pet but they like it usually.

Last edited by Veronicka; 09-13-2016 at 09:40 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM

9,126 posts, read 3,940,319 times
Cats aren't the social animals that dogs are however if it will be alone all day leave plenty of things to keep it amused. A large cat tree near a window where it can watch the birds, those toys that dispense treats on a timer, etc.

Or like was mentioned get two that are already bonded. Shelters are full of older cats that are already bonded.

Everybody wants a cute kitten, adopt an older cat who is already calmer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or