Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 AM

638 posts, read 993,393 times

Advertisements

Our "furkid" has recently started screaming loudly while carrying one of his toys in his mouth. He will even go up and down the stairs doing this sometimes. Usually,he will bring it to me and drop it....especially if I am busy and not paying him attention. I will play with him with it and try to get him to play fetch with it,but he doesn't want to do that. I think he is just doing it to get attention and it usually works. Does anyone else's "furkid" do this? It's funny,but the vocal part of it can be a little annoying and nerve racking. He has many toys,but only does it with this particular one. Should I take it away and hide it or let him keep doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
I wouldn't take it away from him, but that's easy for me to say as I don't have to listen to the wailing noise. Hiding his toy may or may not work. He might keeping crying because he can't find it, or fixate on another toy and keep doing the same thing. Don't have any advice as I've not had the problem, so not much help I'm afraid. Try hiding the toy for a while and see what happens. You can always give it back if it doesn't work out.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM

638 posts, read 993,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I wouldn't take it away from him, but that's easy for me to say as I don't have to listen to the wailing noise. Hiding his toy may or may not work. He might keeping crying because he can't find it, or fixate on another toy and keep doing the same thing. Don't have any advice as I've not had the problem, so not much help I'm afraid. Try hiding the toy for a while and see what happens. You can always give it back if it doesn't work out.
Thanks! I will try it and see what happens.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:13 PM

96 posts, read 336,919 times
One of my girls does that sometimes. She loves those fuzzy mice and will carry one around and make a low meow while it's in her mouth. That doesn't really bother me. It's the toy at night that she screams at while chasing. Can't take it away though. It's her own tail! She'll chase her tail on and off for about 30 minutes and complain when she can't catch it. Finally wears herself out and goes to sleep.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
One of mine does that right after I go to bed. I think he's saying "Mom, I brought you something! Get up and see!" It makes me laugh.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,500,827 times
This sounds like what a friend says her in/out-door cat does - with 'real' live 'toys' - brings the real mouse to the porch, etc. Like showing her 'the prize' catch or bringing it back to 'their territory'. Sounds cute and fun/ny though.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Perfectly normal feline behavior. I call it singing, not screaming. I have two currently who do it, and several who are already Bridge Angels who did it. One didn't start doing it until she was 8 years old. I love it.

Please don't take his favorite toy away from him. That's just mean. In fact, I would think you would go out of your way to ensure it is always available to him!

Old 02-16-2014, 03:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Our "furkid" has recently started screaming loudly while carrying one of his toys in his mouth. He will even go up and down the stairs doing this sometimes. Usually,he will bring it to me and drop it....especially if I am busy and not paying him attention. I will play with him with it and try to get him to play fetch with it,but he doesn't want to do that. I think he is just doing it to get attention and it usually works. Does anyone else's "furkid" do this? It's funny,but the vocal part of it can be a little annoying and nerve racking. He has many toys,but only does it with this particular one. Should I take it away and hide it or let him keep doing this?

We don't have a "furkid" but we do have two cats and both of them (girls) are quite vocal normally and moreso when playing with the stuffed mice all over the house.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlina26 View Post
One of my girls does that sometimes. She loves those fuzzy mice and will carry one around and make a low meow while it's in her mouth. That doesn't really bother me. It's the toy at night that she screams at while chasing. Can't take it away though. It's her own tail! She'll chase her tail on and off for about 30 minutes and complain when she can't catch it. Finally wears herself out and goes to sleep.
That's hilarious! Does she have a short tail? Bobbles has been catching her tail since she was little. People have commented that she has a long tail. It's longer than her body. Maybe she hasn't "grown into it," and it will eventually become elusive, and she'll become frustrated like yours does.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 PM

96 posts, read 336,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's hilarious! Does she have a short tail? Bobbles has been catching her tail since she was little. People have commented that she has a long tail. It's longer than her body. Maybe she hasn't "grown into it," and it will eventually become elusive, and she'll become frustrated like yours does.
She has a long tail but most of the time it's just out of reach, especially while spinning. She'll spin round and round in circles while yelling at it as loud as she can. (My thinking-if you really want to catch your own tail, stop moving and it'll stop! lol I think she just likes that it's a constantly moving target.) She does it at least 5 nights a week and no matter how much I play with her before bed, she'll still do it. I've tried catching a video of her but as soon as I get up, she stops. Sometimes she even gets on her mom's nerves (she's about 5 yrs and I have her mom who's about 6). Her momma will start chasing her to make her be quiet. So while I'm trying to fall asleep, I have one who's screaming at her own tail, another chasing the first one which of course means jumping on me in the process, a 6 month old male kitten who lives for the chase/tackle and gets involved, and then a lazy male cat who stares at ceilings and makes me think there are bugs. Add to that a snoring hubby because he has no problems falling asleep no matter how much noise there is. But despite all the racket, I wouldn't trade hubby or the furbabies (they are my kids, not just pets) for anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats