U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:44 PM

1,807 posts, read 775,683 times

Advertisements

This has been an ongoing problem basically all summer with my inside rescue cat. She briefly had this problem not long after we got her, but the I think it was the litter box/litter. She was ruled a clean bill of health so I splurged and got her a self cleaning litter box. It scoops itself every 30 mins. It's great! She loved it and had no issue using it. Then I brought home some rescue kittens this summer and she wasn't happy. I noticed she was always using THEIR litter box. Which was fine, but then that stopped. She started peeing and pooping in my room. Just my room, no other part of the house. It's to the point I have thrown away many clothes that were maybe in a laundry basket or something that she peed in. Tonight as I was gathering up my bed sheets to wash, I turned around and there she was on my bed, pooping on it! Right in front of me, no shame.
I feel like I constantly smell cat pee as I am always paranoid she has somehow peed on something I am wearing. I throw things out that she hasn't even peed on because I am so paranoid! We all know cat pee is a TERRIBLE smell lol
I love her dearly and would never get rid of her, so I want to resolve this problem. The kittens are now happily outside in their nice little hut and catery. They do come in from time to time for snuggles, but they are mainly outdoors. This has not helped her, she's still peeing/pooping in my room. She has TWO litter boxes now, both clean. She also constantly cries to get outside, even though I take her out and let her have outside time almost daily when it's nice. It's giving me a complex that my cat hates her life with me lol
I don't think anything is medically wrong, but she will be going in soon for a check-up. I have just never had this problem with any cats before, they have always used the litter box. Maybe an incident here or there, but this feels intentional lol I have to lock her out of my room now, which I hate doing.

So, any tips on how to reverse this behavior? Also, whats the best way to clean to get rid of any urine smell?? I know they say if the cat can still smell it, they will go back to it. She has a spot in my closet that she is doing this to. I have used different cleaners, vinegar, etc with nothing seeming to help. I have been keeping things up off the floors, but she'll even just pee/poop on the hardwood floor. She's baffling me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,392,609 times
Some cats have an aversion to certain litter. Try a different one and see if that makes any difference.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,172,548 times
Since the problem started when the new kittens arrived I am guessing that she is stressed about her new housemates and is trying to define her property. The crying to get outside is also an indication that she doesn't want to be around the new ones. How many new kittens do you have now?

Most pet stores carry various odor removal products which do work well. Just be sure to test them on the carpet or furniture before you do a large area.

Old 09-01-2016, 05:22 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,123,205 times
crd08 ... so sorry to hear about all this - I really understand the frustration. And the "paranoia" ... when I've gone through this I'm always sniffing everything all the time expecting the worst.

Your attitude is fantastic, that you want to fix the problem and not just give up.

She no longer uses any litterbox?
Where are the two litterboxes located?

I agree with Heidi60 that it seems to have something to do with the kittens. Since she's using your room as a litterbox, that may show that she considers that space as her territory and she's defining that. Does she sleep in there? Have the kittens been in there?

If there isn't a litterbox in your room, maybe try that and see if she uses it rather than your clothes and bed.

As for removing the smell, I've used hydrogen peroxide (tested first) and Natures Miracle on walls and carpets, and Oxiclean in my washing machine. Nothing I've found gets completely rid of the smell as far as cats' noses can tell, but has at least removed the smell for human noses.

It can be a Catch 22 though. Sometimes the harder we work to remove a smell, the harder cats work to put it back. Not all, but some want the smelly markings to tell the world this is mine. For example, zookeepers of some Big Cats have changed the way they clean exhibits. Rather than a daily bleaching away of where some Cats take the time to specifically mark, the keepers leave these marks alone and clean only periodically. During the Cats' ritual territory boundary walks, they sniff these specific spots to make sure the mark is still there and continue their walk without remarking ... unless it's not there or is too faint, and then they remark.

So, I'm wondering if there was a litterbox in your room whether your cat would feel that that "mark" was enough to tell the world that space belongs to her.

But I'm also wondering if she even knows where her territory really is? Maybe she's overdoing it out of confusion. She knows the kittens are still there even though they are outside in their "hut and cattery". What exactly is that? Perhaps it can be used to an advantage as this issue with your kitty gets sorted out. Is there a way you can do your kitten snuggles out there rather than in the house because maybe that puts your kitty on alert believing there is a threat to her territory.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
crd08 ... so sorry to hear about all this - I really understand the frustration. And the "paranoia" ... when I've gone through this I'm always sniffing everything all the time expecting the worst.

Your attitude is fantastic, that you want to fix the problem and not just give up.

She no longer uses any litterbox?
Where are the two litterboxes located?

I agree with Heidi60 that it seems to have something to do with the kittens. Since she's using your room as a litterbox, that may show that she considers that space as her territory and she's defining that. Does she sleep in there? Have the kittens been in there?

If there isn't a litterbox in your room, maybe try that and see if she uses it rather than your clothes and bed.

As for removing the smell, I've used hydrogen peroxide (tested first) and Natures Miracle on walls and carpets, and Oxiclean in my washing machine. Nothing I've found gets completely rid of the smell as far as cats' noses can tell, but has at least removed the smell for human noses.

It can be a Catch 22 though. Sometimes the harder we work to remove a smell, the harder cats work to put it back. Not all, but some want the smelly markings to tell the world this is mine. For example, zookeepers of some Big Cats have changed the way they clean exhibits. Rather than a daily bleaching away of where some Cats take the time to specifically mark, the keepers leave these marks alone and clean only periodically. During the Cats' ritual territory boundary walks, they sniff these specific spots to make sure the mark is still there and continue their walk without remarking ... unless it's not there or is too faint, and then they remark.

So, I'm wondering if there was a litterbox in your room whether your cat would feel that that "mark" was enough to tell the world that space belongs to her.

But I'm also wondering if she even knows where her territory really is? Maybe she's overdoing it out of confusion. She knows the kittens are still there even though they are outside in their "hut and cattery". What exactly is that? Perhaps it can be used to an advantage as this issue with your kitty gets sorted out. Is there a way you can do your kitten snuggles out there rather than in the house because maybe that puts your kitty on alert believing there is a threat to her territory.
That makes sense. When I got the kittens they weren't even 3 weeks old, so they stayed in my room to be bottle fed and such and that was HER room. Her litter box in in our downstairs, but I think I am going to move one up into my room for now and leave the other one down there. I think you are right that she will use it if it's in my room. I am hoping so anyway

She loves going outside and she will play with the kittens outside, she just didn't like them inside at all. The kittens haven't been out THAT long, they just got their shots and fixed. So maybe it'll get better as time goes on. My neighbors also have A LOT of cats and she def. knows they are out there.

And they just have a space outside. Kinda like this Trixie Cat Run Playpen | Quill.com My neighbors have one as well, they always called it a "catery" lol It's like a building for protection from the weather but outside space as well. I let them out of that if I am home and outside.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:08 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,766,968 times
Do you have a Feliway diffuser plugged in--I'd suggest the bedroom.

I use an enzymatic cleaner for pet messes, similar to Nature's Miracle. The item needs to be saturated in the cleaner and allowed to slowly dry for it to remove the odor. I have put bed or soft items I want to save in a trash bag to let them soak.

I agree with mawipaw and try putting a litter box in the bedroom to see if that helps.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
Do you have a Feliway diffuser plugged in--I'd suggest the bedroom.

I use an enzymatic cleaner for pet messes, similar to Nature's Miracle. The item needs to be saturated in the cleaner and allowed to slowly dry for it to remove the odor. I have put bed or soft items I want to save in a trash bag to let them soak.

I agree with mawipaw and try putting a litter box in the bedroom to see if that helps.
I do not, but I will look into those things!

I was laying in bed 15 mins ago, thought she was coming to cuddle on my lap...nope, she literally started to pee on my quilt while I was laying in my bed

Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,123,205 times
Sounds like she's also claiming you as part of her domain!

It's encouraging that she doesn't want to beat up the kittens, that she apparently enjoys their company ... as long as they are not invading her space. So, she's not unsocial and not one of those cats who'd prefer there were no other cats in the world. There's hope.

Here's something to try. See if you can possibly recognize any sort of body language or particular behavior that comes right before peeing. It may be something large, but not obvious. Or it may be something small such as a specific look in her eyes or position of her ears. The goal is to recognize her state of mind and that she's feeling the need to mark and to change her state of mind.

Perhaps presume that when she jumps up on the bed it's to pee (which may be true or false, but just presume that's her state of mind). The goal is to nip it in the bud, so when she jumps up, start some cuddles and snuggles with her. The idea is to hopefully change her view of that place, and instead of considering it a place that needs marking, she'll associate it with warm-fuzzies. In general cats do not pee in places that give them comfort.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 PM

11,711 posts, read 16,457,103 times
You took away her space and her property. Where are the kittens now?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:04 AM

153 posts, read 347,633 times
She pee on your stuff again, throw some white vinegar on it immediately and let is soak for half a day. Neutralizes is and you won't have to throw your quilts/clothes away. Learned that trick from a vet tech and it works hands down better than anything else I've used in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or