U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 AM

10,231 posts, read 14,082,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
He's a 9 month old rescue pup who loves the kitties and the presents they leave for him in the litter box. Some of our problems:

1. the cats are 14+ years old and weigh more than 15 lbs (Ragdolls) they can jump UP to a counter or ledge but not OVER something like a baby gate

2. A gate with a small opening for the cats would be terrific but the throne room has only a 24" opening nd all gates are too wide except something we found in the UK. not gonna happen.

3. Again we would try something to put up a bit higher so the cats could get under but our opening is too small.

4) I clean the litter tray often but sometimes Puppy gets to the treats before I can and then he poops inappropriately .

The pets (2 cats, 2 dogs) all sleep in the master with us. We are thinking about crate training the new pup but even if he is crate trained we LOVE having him in the bed with us. He usually stays in one place the whole night unless he smells treats in the litter tray. The other dog is crate trained but he doesn't bother the litter tray and sleeps in his little bed beside me all night.

Suggestions?

Your dog has a condition called coprophagia . Have you spoken with your vet about this? My Ragdoll kitty is now 16 yrs. of age and her litter box has always been in a separate room (laundry rm. etc.) About 10 yrs. ago I had a beautiful show quality Poodle, smart as a whip. Well.... he had this same problem. In an attempt to stop his visits to her litter box, my husband put a simple chain lock on the back of the door to the room ... put it on backwards ... which left the door open about 8" only. The dog could not get in there, but the kitty could. Oh, yes, he would try and it was really annoying! I had to put the cat food on the vanity so she could jump up and eat, or he would eat hers and his. Our vet said there was not much we could do about it; and we felt it was too disgusting to put up with for the life of either kitty or the dog. And I certainly didn't want the dog giving 'kisses' to my grandchildren! So......... unfortunately, we had to find another home for the dog in a family where he would be the only pet. 8 yrs. have gone by and they still have him; and they were told about the coprophagia, and he doesn't go outside unless leashed.

I doubt there is anything at all that you can do about this problem. And, putting a reverse chain or gadget on the door will only allow the cat to get in and out; not a small dog -- unless he 'outgrows' the entry space and by then he may cause damage to your woodwork etc. trying to get in there. 99% chance though that he will never outgrow his filthy habit. Best advice from this end is to have a serious talk with your vet.

https://www.cuteness.com/article/do-dogs-eat-cat-poop

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+1276&aid=155
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 09:11 AM

1,272 posts, read 1,717,097 times
Our two Golden Retrievers did this. In fact one choked on the "litter covered treats" and we almost lost him. We now put fireplace screens around the box so they cant get to it. Plus the one that almost died is afraid of things like that so he won't even go near the screen.

I love the item that was posted here and may look into that as well...however our home is so open concept that we really don't have many enclosed spaces to do that.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM

1,242 posts, read 724,610 times
I used to have a household with 2 cats (3 at one point) and one litter-box foraging dog. My solution was pretty simple: I got a covered litter box and turned it around to face a wall, with enough access space for the cats, but not enough for the dog. Dog soon lost interest in attempting to find her own treats.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,219,571 times

I use a "Clever cat" litter box. The dogs have never been able to get at the cats poop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or