U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times

Advertisements

He's a 9 month old rescue pup who loves the kitties and the presents they leave for him in the litter box. Some of our problems:

1. the cats are 14+ years old and weigh more than 15 lbs (Ragdolls) they can jump UP to a counter or ledge but not OVER something like a baby gate

2. A gate with a small opening for the cats would be terrific but the throne room has only a 24" opening nd all gates are too wide except something we found in the UK. not gonna happen.

3. Again we would try something to put up a bit higher so the cats could get under but our opening is too small.

4) I clean the litter tray often but sometimes Puppy gets to the treats before I can and then he poops inappropriately .

The pets (2 cats, 2 dogs) all sleep in the master with us. We are thinking about crate training the new pup but even if he is crate trained we LOVE having him in the bed with us. He usually stays in one place the whole night unless he smells treats in the litter tray. The other dog is crate trained but he doesn't bother the litter tray and sleeps in his little bed beside me all night.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 07:49 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Turn the door into a half door with a small counter wide enough for he cats to land on.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:39 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,117,764 times
You're so right, no kudzu, that baby gates are generally sized for typical-width doors. But we did find one of those cheap wooden-framed gates with the plastic mesh that worked.

Each panel is @20". We had to cut an additional notch (at the arrow).

One oopsy was that we cut too large a hole in the plastic mesh - our small dog could get through. But no biggie - we just strung and wove string to make the hole smaller.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:10 AM

7,591 posts, read 5,102,618 times
Don't know if it's a viable option for you, but what my wife and I did when we had our Yorkies was to raise the litter boxes up off the floor. It completely eliminated the 'dogs in the litter problem'. We set up 'steps' for the cats to use, and the dogs never figured out what they were for. Required a little bit of extra space around the boxes (for the steps), but fortunately we managed it.

Good luck with finding a solution.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:40 PM

1,805 posts, read 773,628 times
What about a little box with a domed lid? I know *some* cat's aren't fond of them. I have something like this for mine, modified to fit her size. She's bigger too so I wanted to make sure she had room. Designer Pet Products Catbox Litterbox - Puutty Power!

I guess I don't know how big/small your dog is

Old 09-05-2016, 05:05 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. We don't have room for either the raised trays or the huge furniture like box.

Raising the gate up just so the cats could squeeze under it won't work either because the gates have a bar across the bottom where they open and I'm a bit unsteady on my feet and that would create a safety problem for me to step over.

So far we are successful with the larger gate across the entrance to the whole bathroom. It has a pet door and a people door. The pet door is big enough for all 4 pets but DH attached a cardboard panel to cut the space in half. The cats reluctantly squeeze their big butts through. The treat seeking dog has tried to stick his head through but i said Leave It and he hasn't pursued it anymore. And this morning there were treats in the litter tray I know he smelled but he didn't try anymore to get to them. We'll see how long this solution works.

It's worked for 24 hours!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:18 AM

397 posts, read 734,549 times
Saw this on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Latch%E2%80%9...s=Latch+N+Vent

Old 09-05-2016, 07:23 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,117,764 times
Fingers crossed no kudzu that you've found a permanent solution!!

Old 09-05-2016, 10:17 AM

1,805 posts, read 773,628 times
Im glad you found something that is working!

Old 09-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Well Now---that certainly looks interesting. I know this is a common problem pet owners have so only inevitable somebody would figure it out. If our current gate and cardboard don't work, we will definitely try this. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or