U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,077,585 times

Advertisements

From the moment I got her Regina was sharp and playful. At her wellness check last Wednesday the vet said she was doing fine, although she was concerned with the swelling around the incision from being spayed and her occasional soft stool. She gave me some antibiotics for the swelling and home we came.
On Saturday I noticed that her stools were loose and she was lethargic, but by Sunday she was fine and back to her old self.
Monday (a holiday) she ate very little and was lethargic again and had a very hard bowel movement.

Early Tuesday morning she had severe diarrhea (in my bed) and vomiting. And I took her to the vet.

The vet looked her over, took her temp (no fever) and checked her spay incision (swelling almost gone). By this time she was almost back to her old self again (just to make me look bad at the vet). The vet felt her abdomen and said felt like she may have a blockage and had her x-rayed. Sure enough she was almost completely blocked.

She said it was probably due to the antibiotics, change in diet ( I weaned her from all dry food to wet food with moist treats) and the stress from the change in her life (she came to me almost two weeks ago after 4 months in a shelter). She did say that this was a common reaction to stress. She recommended an enema and that I could pick her up that evening.

When I picked her up she was very quiet but purred for me and licked my fingers. I was given some special diet food, a kitty laxative and got to bring her home.

She was quiet on the ride home - she usually meows the whole time - and suddenly the car just smelled. The vet had warned me that she would may bouts of diarrhea over the next day or two, but this was really bad.

I got her home and cleaned her up (a couple of new scratches to prove it) and then took her out to her porch. She drank about 1/4 cup of water, looked at her new food, turned up her nose at it and went to sleep.

She's woken up a couple of times but is still pissed at me and will only allow a couple of chin scratches before she walks away. She has lapped up some more water, but still won't touch her new food. Giving her her medicine tonight will be fun. Wish me luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 06:49 PM

3,287 posts, read 1,458,035 times
Good luck.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:58 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,384,329 times
Best luck, it is tough to see them in Ill health.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:18 AM

She ate all her food this morning and is more active. Being a mean mom I have confined her to her porch (where she spends most of her time anyway) after another bout of diarrhea in the living room. Luckily it was on the floor, and not the couch. The porch is screened in with lots of places to either lay in the sun or shade, and much easier to clean. I moved her litter box out there and she has used it already.

She mad at me today because I cleaned her up rather than letting her lick herself clean.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:26 PM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
Is she on a probiotic? The diarrhea is probably a combination of things, antibiotics, diet change (improvement!) stress. I would get her on the probiotic right away. Just don't give it within 2 hours of the antibiotic.

Unless you get s.boulardii.

Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,596,921 times
Sending good thoughts for Regina.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:03 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,753,683 times
Best wishes too being sent for poor Regina. I do hope she gets better. It is beyond frustrating to see a kitty not feeling well. Keep us posted asap.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:17 AM

Vet called to check on Regina. We also discussed that the anesthesia that she was given when she was spayed may have been a factor in her constipation. She's happy with Regina's progress.
Today Regina is almost back to normal. Solid bowel movement (I can't believe that I am discussing my cats poop on the internet, I now understand why new parents are obsessed with their newborn's poop).
We played last night and she kept trying to play with her treat bottle (small water bottle with holes cut into it for treats to fall out) and there were no treats falling out. She was really pissed at me.
Right now she is on her porch staring out the screen with her tail twitching, waiting for something to pounce on.
So good to have my little girl happy again.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:11 AM

5,875 posts, read 11,740,839 times
Glad she's feeling better! Poop is a very common topic among cat lovers.

Probiotics: Why, Which Ones & How to Use them.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-08-2016 at 07:02 AM..

Old 09-08-2016, 06:15 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
I am so glad that Regina is doing better. Give her a big nose scratch from me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats