U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 08:53 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,495,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In the 6 years I've had him, he's never done this.
You could lie on the floor and quietly ask him to tell you what's wrong. This isn't woo-woo. He'll pick up on your tone, and maybe watching him, you'll get some insights. Is he "tucked into himself," tail wrapped tightly around his body, paws tucked tightly against his chest? Is he holding his body more "loosely" but very alert? The latter may indicate problems outside himself, maybe with the other cat. If he does the former for very long, I'd keep a close eye on the litter box and watch him do his business. Make sure he isn't straining and there's no visible blood.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:06 PM

11,408 posts, read 16,055,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
You could lie on the floor and quietly ask him to tell you what's wrong. This isn't woo-woo. He'll pick up on your tone, and maybe watching him, you'll get some insights. Is he "tucked into himself," tail wrapped tightly around his body, paws tucked tightly against his chest? Is he holding his body more "loosely" but very alert? The latter may indicate problems outside himself, maybe with the other cat. If he does the former for very long, I'd keep a close eye on the litter box and watch him do his business. Make sure he isn't straining and there's no visible blood.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
I've been laying on the floor talking to him and petting him. He is laying on his side pretty relaxed, but is very alert. I poked his tummy and behind a bit, neither of which elicited a reaction so I don't think he's in pain. Both of my roommates are really good with him, with him hanging out in one of my roommates' rooms pretty frequently.

He hasn't eliminated much. Unless he pooped in my roommate's litter box, there was only urine and a few small poops from today. He's still eating, though.

EDIT: After laying with him for half an hour, he rolled over and presented his belly. Now he's chewing away at his toy and grooming his face a bit, which is good. Still really out of sorts and not nearly as friendly as he normally is. I'm still very worried.

Puck is my only cat and has gotten me through a really scary breakup, cross country move, and stage IV cancer all before my 25th birthday. For him to act *so* different in a way that is very unlike him is particularly frightening. He's my BFF and I'm pretty clued in to his behaviors and when he's not feeling good, which is why I'm so anxious about this.

Last edited by charolastra00; 09-09-2016 at 09:22 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,166,309 times
Take him to an animal behaviorist. It's likely he now has PTSD from those fireworks.

Something about them scared him more than he's even been scared before, and it can mess them up with extreme anxiety.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 PM

I'm still worried that it's not just the anxiety, but maybe that's just a coincidence or sparked something?

I brought some wet food mixed with water into my room and he immediately jumped up to drink and eat it. Then he really wanted attention and jumped up on my lap and let me cuddle him to my chest for about 20 minutes. He bent a little sideways to get off of my lap, and started to growl very abruptly. He ran under the bed, kept growling, then went and laid down in his crate. I noticed his back is a little hunched up as well, which makes me worry about pain.

Maybe he has a stomach ache? Would they have caught any blockages by doing a manual examination yesterday?

I guess we'll see in the morning if he's used his litter box and reevaluate from there.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:52 PM

10,981 posts, read 3,835,446 times
Sounds like pain to me. I would watch and see but I don't hear a fireworks fright. Sounds more like something wrong.

Note though almost everything goes away. So don't panic unless obvious pain. Wait and watch. The stop eating or stop pooping or some behavior change.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:59 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,882,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I've been laying on the floor talking to him and petting him. He is laying on his side pretty relaxed, but is very alert. I poked his tummy and behind a bit, neither of which elicited a reaction so I don't think he's in pain. Both of my roommates are really good with him, with him hanging out in one of my roommates' rooms pretty frequently.

He hasn't eliminated much
. Unless he pooped in my roommate's litter box, there was only urine and a few small poops from today. He's still eating, though.
My older cat was looking pretty uncomfortable a while back and he was hunching his back a lot. I found a couple of hard stools on the floor in the middle of the living room and he's never gone out of his box before. I asked the vet about it, and he suggested getting a can of plain unsweetened pumpkin and mix a tiny bit in his wet food. Worked like a charm and he's back to normal. I mix a bit in his food now on a semi regular basis.

Your poor kitty! If it isn't something physical, something spooked him pretty bad. Give it time I guess.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:44 AM

Woke up this morning and nothing in the litter box, which is concerning. I called his normal vet and am able to get in this afternoon, though they said if he was acting worse to come in earlier.

He jumped up onto my bed to cuddle at some point in the night and was very sweet. He was also cuddly this morning, but seemed to be in pain about 15 minutes after he ate and drank. He laid at my side as I rubbed his tummy, but started to growl. Nothing specifically seemed to trigger it, just growling, even as he continued to lay there and let me pet him. He didn't seem sensitive in any one location. After about 5 minutes of me talking to him softly while I pet him and he growled he went and plopped himself in his crate where he's been for the last 15 minutes.

He's alert, still has an appetite and is drinking, and still wants attention but clearly is not feeling good at all.

I'm considering running out to get some pumpkin, but I don't really want to leave him.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:01 AM

3,297 posts, read 1,972,718 times
At this point, I would definitely be concerned. He seems like he is trying to tell you something.

A couple of thoughts, not to scare you, but so you keep a lookout for a couple of things. (1) We had a cat who had glaucoma and had to have his eye removed (doing great, BTW). For a couple of months, he would hide under the couch, not eat, and hiss at us for a day or so, then he would be his normal sweet self. And then the cycle would repeat. Vet checked him out, didn't find anything wrong with him. With the benefit of hindsight, we now realize that his eye was giving him pain on those days, and he was trying to tell us! (Guilt, guilt, guilt) He has not done this once since his eye was removed. We finally realized something was wrong when the lens of that eye moved forward and his eye looked weird, plus it started tearing. (2) I have heard of cats developing a blood clot in a leg and being in a lot of pain, with nothing on the outside to indicate a problem. Has he been limping at all?

Keeping my fingers crossed you can figure out what is going on with your boy!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the tips, Lori!

He's eating fine, but seems to be in pain about 10-15 minutes after eating, but only growls briefly. No limping. Still no poop.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 PM

UPDATE: Back from the vet. Right before we left, he pooped and peed so I went in with a stool sample ready for business. I think the pumpkin was the trick!

There were lots of emergencies today so we were stuck waiting for an hour in a crowded waiting room and Puck is afraid of dogs. It was... bad. He started screeching so much that I had to yell at the front desk to take me back thinking he was in pain.

We got to the back and everyone was great, but he was so traumatized just from the waiting room that he wouldn't come out of his crate (even when he's had UTIs, he was quick to pop out), cried constantly, and just wanted me to hold him with his head shoved in the crook of my elbow. Nothing was off about the physical exam, but I asked for an xray just to be sure because he's acting so abnormally.

Xray showed inflammation in his colon that the vet thinks is enteritis, as well as some uncomfy sounding gas and a little constipation, but nothing too worrisome. We got some antibiotics and some easily digestible wet food. Got the OK to keep mixing in water and a little bit of pumpkin puree too. The vet thinks his growling and shrieking has more to do with anxiety than pain, though he's probably uncomfy. She didn't want to give me pain or anxiety meds for him so it won't mask anything. I don't know how I feel about that, but as long as he keeps using the litter box I can't complain. :\

One thing of concern is some thickening of the lining of his colon. It's probably the enteritis, but the radiology report recommended that if he's not better within 10 days that he should get an ultrasound to look for IBD or, gulp, lymphoma. As a lymphoma survivor myself, I lost it when I read that. I'm trying not to get too ahead of myself, but ugh. It's a horrible thought. At least there's no imminent danger - vet said that some cats get more vocal as they age and brought up that he might actually be older than we thought.

He's in my cool, dark room at the moment with some white noise going so he can't hear anything going on outside. As soon as I put down a dish of food, he scarfed it all up (every last bit - I can't remember the last time he didn't leave at least a little!). I mixed a little Rescue Remedy into both his food and water and sprayed pheromone spray in a few spots in my room.

I guess we just have to wait this out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats