U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 08:52 AM

499 posts, read 367,358 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a cat, what would be a good breed in terms of less allergies and a cat that is more dog like and playful? also a cat that likes water so that I can bathe them?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 AM

5,876 posts, read 11,745,747 times
Sounds like you want a dog. Cats are cats. They aren't "dog like" and they aren't "hypoallergenic". They are cats.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:03 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
I'm looking to get a cat, what would be a good breed in terms of less allergies and a cat that is more dog like and playful? also a cat that likes water so that I can bathe them?
For the most part, cats don't have different behaviors based on breed. For the most part, cats shed and may bother those allergic to cats. For the most part, cats are not dog like. They do like to play, but in the manner of cats not dogs. And for the most part, cats detest water and bathing.

If you want a dog like creature, why not just get a dog?

Old 09-09-2016, 09:07 AM

geesh people... i actually love cats, had them growing up. i became resilient to the allergies but now as an adult when i visist my parents i get extreme allergies. I had read some breeds were better for allergy sufferers and also some breeds were more affectionate and dog like.

and i actually cant have dogs where i live and with my work cant really walk a dog twice a day.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:14 AM

5,605 posts, read 4,159,335 times
From WebMD:

"So is there such a thing as a hypoallergenic cat?

The short answer is scientists don't know. If you have allergies and want a cat, it may be possible to find one that won't bother you. But experts can't explain why."

Sounds like it's dependent on the specific cat as well as the allergic tendencies of the particular human. No idea how one would go about figuring it out unless you could test drive cats to find out. Or you could go with the hairless cat that looks like an armadillo. Or maybe a combo of allergy pills and shots would help?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:03 AM

Every cat I've ever had has been affectionate. It has nothing to do with being "dog like". Cats are affectionate if you pay attention to them and bond with them.

No such thing as a "hypoallergenic" cat. Cats have saliva, and wash themselves and that makes dander on their fur and that is what people are allergic to.

Cats require just as much care and attention as dogs. It may be in a different manner but they still need your interaction every day.

"Hairless" (Sphynx) cats still have dander.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Every cat I've ever had has been affectionate. It has nothing to do with being "dog like". Cats are affectionate if you pay attention to them and bond with them.

No such thing as a "hypoallergenic" cat. Cats have saliva, and wash themselves and that makes dander on their fur and that is what people are allergic to.

Cats require just as much care and attention as dogs. It may be in a different manner but they still need your interaction every day.

"Hairless" (Sphynx) cats still have dander.
i certainly havent had the same experience...

I have read about certain breeds that exhibit more dog like behavior... i have a hard time believing every breed of cat acts the same...

Old 09-09-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I have read about certain breeds that exhibit more dog like behavior... i have a hard time believing every breed of cat acts the same...

They don't "act the same". Every cat is an individual, just like every other living breathing being. Cats were there before I was born and I continued having them when I grew up. They've all been affectionate and loving.

They sleep with me, enjoy play time, greet me at the door, hover around me when I have been gone longer than usual.Because I put in the time and effort to treat them as members of the family. Some play fetch, some don't. some like to be on a lap. some don't. some hide when people come to the house, some don't.

But they are all affectionate and loving with me.

Cats do not exhibit "dog like behavior'.. Cats are CATS. Any behavior a cat exhibits is the behavior of a cat.

Go to the shelter or rescue, get to know the cats there and see who chooses you. Discuss your preferences with the shelter staff. They are the ones who spend the most time with the cats and will know which ones may suit your lifestyle. OUt of those, see which one Chooses you.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:55 AM

7,591 posts, read 5,102,618 times
Quote:

Then it probably depends on your definition of 'affectionate'. If you mean a pet that is totally keyed on your every move, or word you speak, body language, etc., then no, cats aren't like that. Cats are very social creatures, and once they bond with you it can be every bit as strong as any dog. But their interactions with you, and displays of affection are different and more subtle. I'm talking in general terms here, and there will always be exceptions. Some cats like their space and not be big on handling or cuddling, but will come to you for attention when they want it, or just enjoying being in your presence. Others may be totally obsessed with you and follow you everywhere wanting attention constantly. Most cats are a mixture of the two. Of the 3 I currently have, two are affectionate and loving when they want to be but not clingy. The third one is totally bonded to me and possessive of me, and wants to be where I am all the time. But even with her, our interactions are very different than if she were a dog.

Bottom line is, you're not going find a cat, regardless of breed, that gives you dog-like affection. You can have a very loving relationship with a cat, but it won't be the same type as with a dog. If that's what you are expecting, you will probably be disappointed.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM

536 posts, read 330,926 times
Russian Siberian is supposed to be hypoallergenic (still remains to be truly proved), but having owned one for close to 6 years, we have had no negative reactions to him. Other cats and dogs do affect me fairly bad. Recently heard Russian Blue is also supposed to have lower levels of that protein that agitates allergies, hence we are thinking about adopting one.

Bathing and play depends on a specific cat I would suppose. While hours like to play (chase the laser, toy, etc. around) he is not out there running laps and hopping around a jungle gym. Bathing? Absolutely hates water. Visits to a groomer are rough as well as he usually turns into a little devil. Other than that, once he turned 5, he seemed to mellow out quite a bit and become more friendly (to us; still can be hostile to strangers). Just food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or