U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 12:51 PM

536 posts, read 330,688 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here own a Russian Blue or a Russian Blue mix? We are contemplating adopting one and I wanted to get some feedback. What is the temperament like? Do they shed a lot, or not really? Playful or fairly docile? We do have a 6 year old Russian Siberian, so no new comers to cats and their at times whacky behavior. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 01:23 PM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
Yes; I've had a purebred, papered Russian Blue boy with a grand-champion background, and I currently have a Russian Blue girl. The first one was very high maintenance because he had been re-homed repeatedly, and the breed generally does not like to change families. Once a Russian Blue adopts his/her people, they are that cat's whole universe. My first one took two years to adapt to me and calm down, but was the sweetest cat ever after that. However, he was always jealous of the other cats in my presence. My current RB is the same way. If she's on the bed with me, she'll chase the other female away if she tries to get on the bed too (although she will let the only male cat up). They're very people-oriented for sure.

Generally they really don't shed a lot. Their fur is very soft and silky with not a lot of undercoat. Both of mine have been very sensitive and prone to "sulks". They're extremely intelligent and need interactive play or they will get in trouble if they get bored - my current one will chase her tail like a dog (it's hilarious, really). Both of mine have been big "talkers" as well, and their nasal tone can really drive you nuts if there's something they really want, because they'll just go on and on until you give it to them. However, both of mine have loved being petted to the point that they drooled with pleasure, so that's some recompense. Oh, and they're extremely clean and fastidious about themselves too, which is always a plus!

I have developed a real love for the breed because of my two cats, and always look for them at our local shelter. A true Russian Blue is a gorgeous and unique cat that will adore you for a lifetime.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 PM

217 posts, read 153,195 times
We had a female Russian blue mix, which we adopted as a rescue. We had already had a very gentle, timid, purebred male Blue Burmese rescue. They were the best of friends from the very first day. I've introduced a number cats to each other and never was it this fast for them to socialize and accept each other. Gradually, the Russian blue became more and more protective of her turf, and us. After several years, we moved to a home with a beautiful sun room with floor to ceiling windows in three sides, backed to a grove of trees and without a fenced yard. After a year here, strays started coming up to the windows, provoking the Russian blue, who then eventually started to attack and bully the Blue Burmese. We tried everything, and the attacks not only continued, but became more frequent and severe. We eventually made the heartbreaking decision to take her back to the shelter, where she was re-homed in a matter of several weeks to a home with no pets or children.

She was beautiful. Exceptionally affectionate. Funny. Very little shedding. Had a voracious appetite, so we had to get a feeder that spit out small amounts of kibble a few times a day. She vomited fairly often, too, but we think that is because of her eating habits. We were just starting to try her on grain free food toward the end of her time with us, and that was helping quite a bit.

Now she was a Russian blue mix and not pure breed, and some of her behaviors may have been due to having been a rescue. But I will tell you, despite everything, we miss her terribly and would take her back in a heartbeat if we didn't have our other cat. That's how special she was.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:27 AM

1,242 posts, read 724,087 times
I honestly can't say for sure if my last cat was a Russian blue mix, but I used to get comments from people suggesting that he was...even my vet suspected it. Whether he really was or not, I don't know.

Going on the assumption that he may have been a Russian blue mix, Fritz was one of the most awesome cats I've ever known. He was incredibly affectionate with myself and my son, and he literally chose us. [He'd belonged to a downstairs neighbour who used to put him outdoors every day...every time she did this, Fritz would make a beeline for our walk-up balcony and would cry until we'd let him in.] After he was hit by a car and the owner (who didn't want to pay for a vet) was going to drop him off at the shelter as a stray, we begged to take him, and (two surgeries and a couple of thousand $$$ later) he was ours.

He was on the larger size, 16 lbs, but sleek and muscly with gorgeous, very thick gray-blue fur, and surprisingly little shedding. Fritz was also an extremely intelligent cat, and the most gentle feline I've ever known. If he accidentally put out his claws when playing with you, he'd immediately realize he shouldn't have done it (you didn't need to correct him) and he'd let go and lick your hands. He loved to play, and loved to eat(!!). He was a very stubborn creature, and despite all of my attempts to make him an indoor-only cat, Fritz finally and definitively won the battle. When we later moved to a house, the backyard was quickly established as Fritz's turf, and any cat unlucky enough to enter it would get his backside booted over the fence.

Fritz's devotion to my son and myself was very strong, as was his love for our family dog, Misty. When Misty passed away I didn't think that it had really affected Fritz as he didn't seem to display despondency, but a year and a half later I discovered just how wrong I'd been. I had adopted another dog from the local shelter, and this dog (Kaya), while a bit larger than Misty, did look a fair bit like her. On the day that I brought Kaya home, I'd set up a baby gate across the doorway to the kitchen, and brought Kaya in there. I didn't want her running around until I'd first established just how she'd be with my two cats. We had been in the kitchen for several moments, Kaya excitedly exploring the room, when suddenly a blur of gray came sailing over the baby gate and shot straight toward my new dog. Fritz, in his excitement upon hearing and seeing Kaya, mistakenly thought it was Misty. Before I could react, Fritz had run to Kaya, stood on his hind legs and wrapped his two front paws right around her neck. Seconds later he realized his error (the look of shock on his face was unmistakeable) and Fritz ran out of the room, leaving behind a very stunned new dog and equally stunned owner. My heart absolutely broke when I saw that...but it only took a couple of days and Fritz and Kaya became very close friends.

As Fritz aged, I found that he became more and more 'clingy' with me, and it was especially noticeable whenever I had to go away for a few days. Upon my return, instead of the usual "oh wow, you're home, I missed you so much!" and then settling back to normal routine, Fritz began yowling, following me from room to room, not letting me out of his sight for at least 24 hours each time I'd come home. He remained that way until I lost him to a brain tumour a year later, when he was 16.

I must say, of all the cats I've had in my lifetime, Fritz was the most remarkable. If he was a Russian blue mix, and if his personality was reflective of the breed, then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the breed to any cat lover. Unfortunately I cannot say for sure that he was...all I can really say is that my guy was an amazing animal, and all these years later I still miss his trademark, deep-chested extremely loud rumble-purr, turned on whenever he was content and curled up with his loved ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or