Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 07:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of switching some of my cats over to scoopable litter, just to see if I and they like it. I would love to not have to change the litter boxes so frequently, and I know scooping it a couple times a day would not be a problem.

What is your favorite brand of unscented scoopable litter? I would like it to be unscented, with as little dust and tracking as is possible. I do realize that all litter will track to a certain extent, just looking for the least tracking and dust.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 04:01 AM

3,880 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am thinking of switching some of my cats over to scoopable litter, just to see if I and they like it. I would love to not have to change the litter boxes so frequently, and I know scooping it a couple times a day would not be a problem.

What is your favorite brand of unscented scoopable litter? I would like it to be unscented, with as little dust and tracking as is possible. I do realize that all litter will track to a certain extent, just looking for the least tracking and dust.

Thanks!
We get it at Costco. Bit green jug for a very good price compared to the name brands at Target etc. Works well, and has no perfume! (I have asthma so I avoid perfumed stuff)

Old 09-10-2016, 05:53 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
I use Tidy Cat. I have six litter boxes (66 qt plastic tubs) for use by four cats. I don't scoop, I strain it through the strainer that came with a small litter box. I also use Citrus Magic to keep the odor down. It works a treat.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:53 AM

Thanks for those replies. I don't belong to Costco because there isn't one nearby, but one is planned for my area in the next couple of years.

Other questions: Do you ever have to completely change the litter in the box? Do you add more litter to the box each time you scoop?

Anyone have a cat who likes to "aim" at the back of the box? Because I have a couple who do this, I line the boxes with 30-gallon trash can liners and pull the back of the liner up over the spot where the box and its hood meet (technique has worked well for 30+ years). But I don't think I could do that with the scoopable litter, because the liners would be shredded after a week or so (based on my experience). I did pick up a couple high-back litter boxes at Walmart, but they are uncovered, so not sure if I will like using them.

Also, I have heard good things about World's Best Cat Litter and Dr. Elsey's. Just wondering if anyone else likes them, as they are both a bit pricey.

Thanks again! Sorry for the 10,000 questions.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
I scoop each day -under my cat's supervision. Once a week I completely change the litter and wash the pans. Regina likes to sit on the edge of the box to pee, so I don't use a lid.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:48 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,978,681 times
I use Worlds Best. Although it is more expensive at the cash register, for me it lasts longer and is therefore cheaper in the long run. I have 3 cats, 4 boxes, and I scoop daily (sometimes more if there's a stinky deposit). I replenish the boxes as necessary which is not every time. It's not necessary because the clumping action is relatively fast, so a lot of product isn't used up as it is with some clay-based ones. One bag gets me through at least two weeks if not more.

Worlds Best doesn't have a perfume-like additive, but I've found that the smell gets trapped in the clumps, and neither the boxes nor surrounding air don't stink. I have both covered and uncovered boxes.

Generally the pee doesn't make it to the bottom of the box like it can with other litters, so the bottom doesn't get gummy and gooey. Thus, I find the boxes stay cleaner longer, and I only have to dump it all out and clean the boxes maybe every two months (sometimes longer stretches of time between full cleanings).

The only exception is that I also have a stand-up-pee'er who aims for the sides. I do have to 409 the sides of the open box that she uses the most. But I don't have to dump the entire box. She does on occasion use the covered box, but the pee doesn't sneak out where the lid and box meet, so I don't need a liner.

I had tried other scoopables, the clay-based ones, and just didn't like the dust nor the tracking. Worlds Best doesn't track as much and it is less dusty.

I also tried other scoopables, non-clay, like Swheat Scoop and Feline Pine, but they just didn't seem to clump as tightly as the clay-based ones nor as Worlds Best does.

Worlds Best has a multi-cat type (red bag). However, it's more expensive than the green bag, and not worth the extra money. The green-bag type works just fine with multiple cats.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:05 AM

24,466 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Mine refused to use a covered box. Grrr! Arm & Hammer works well. I scoop every morning and often at night. I wash the boxes weekly and let the litter run a bit low the day before.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:03 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
There is an entire thread on this subject.

What litter do you prefer?

Old 09-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Thanks to everyone who has replied! Thanks a bunch, mawipafl, for all that info! I can't give anyone else rep, as I have apparently given out too much rep in the last 24 hours. (One very annoying feature of C-D, I must say, but rules are rules.) I will give out rep when I can do that again.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:18 PM

457 posts, read 496,151 times
I use Clump & Seal. It works best for my purposes because it clumps really well without falling apart. I have four cats and one huge litter box (Kat Kave) because even the largest plastic totes weren't high enough to contain the wall pee-er that I also have. I replenish as needed, and can generally go through up to 14 lbs/week. I scoop several times a day, especially since my kitty diagnosed with pancreatitis had diarrhea for weeks before being diagnosed. I use Nature's Miracle for litter box pee clean up (and any other clean up, for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats