U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:05 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,392,001 times

Advertisements

He'll probably hate going back to the shelter too. Just when he was getting used to your place.

As far as anesthesia...depending on the cat's health, 14 is not too old. Even a few years later. My vet has done a test before anesthesia - forget what it's called - to see if the cat or dog is still doing very well before going under anesthesia. For one older dog we got from a house who really needed dental work and we were not totally positive of his age they had him on a monitor. We only have the vets do our work. Anesthesia is a tricky thing and we have had acquaintances who lost pets with a little too much or too long under.

If you can do it, and don't want those regrets, and really trust your own vet...got for it. You kitty will feel better, not feeling he's being returned and who knows when the other place will get to it. All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 AM

3,261 posts, read 1,941,217 times
Are they going to do bloodwork before they do the surgery? With an older cat, I would definitely want to know that his labs are good, especially kidneys. I would also be concerned about the non-gas anesthesia. Gas anesthesia is good because the cat starts to "come out of it" quickly once the gas is stopped.

Can you talk to your old vet, the one who cared for your chihuahua, just to get a second opinion? I feel for you regarding the cost of dental work. We recently had a thread about that topic.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,115,347 times
My cat was 15 when he had some major dental work done. Included removal of a badly diseased canine. It does come down to the individual cat and that the factors of age and amount of work needed aren't necessarily automatically considered "stoppers".

Yes, there was probably pain involved after Silver's dental work, but I believe he was in much less pain after than he was before, so he was happy and grateful about that. He bounced back quickly and became the piglet that he had always been before his dental problems.

The not eating could be because of Timmy's teeth or simply because he's a bit confused (understandably) - food is probably the last thing on his mind. Chiluvr1228 - your attentiveness and proactiveness is a huge plus for Timmy, and he'll probably hate what's coming, but he won't despise you for it. Sounds like he's bonding with you already. Thank you for making this life-change for him a happy one.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 AM

9,096 posts, read 3,918,635 times
My vet is open today so I'm going to call and see what they advise. I hate to spend a lot of money on a cat I've had for all of one day but my heart goes out to him. The shelter's vet is not open today but they will be open at 8 a.m. tomorrow. I plan on calling them also to ask the questions about blood work, gas anesthesia, etc. I may be wrong but I don't entirely trust shelters to have the best vet, equipment and protocol. I'm pretty sure they are going to do things as cheaply as possible especially when I was told that a vet tech does most of the dentals. Are they qualified to use anesthesia?

Old 09-11-2016, 08:53 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,115,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My vet is open today so I'm going to call and see what they advise. I hate to spend a lot of money on a cat I've had for all of one day but my heart goes out to him. The shelter's vet is not open today but they will be open at 8 a.m. tomorrow. I plan on calling them also to ask the questions about blood work, gas anesthesia, etc. I may be wrong but I don't entirely trust shelters to have the best vet, equipment and protocol. I'm pretty sure they are going to do things as cheaply as possible especially when I was told that a vet tech does most of the dentals. Are they qualified to use anesthesia?
Keep us updated!

Many of us have experienced that it only takes one brief minute of "ownership" to find ourselves hooked and ready-willing-able to go all in to care for an animal, to do whatever it takes.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:04 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,392,001 times
While you've had your cat one day, they can live a long time. Personally, I think that chart at the vets' offices that list years and whether the cat is senior or geriatric needs to be changed. With all the new things available, better info and treatment etc they seem to be acting young a lot longer and living a lot better and longer.

FYI, many, maybe a high percentage of vets, are still used to the in and out of cats younger than yours, the usual shots, etc. We have had several older cats and dogs with some issues eventually but living well with adjustments. A wonderful vet started going to geriatric cat seminars and asking the teachers questions. One of ours that was put off by a vet was finally diagnosed at my insistence and given about 3 weeks. With proper care, that turned into two good years. That's an enormous percentage more. That vet was surprised by my insistence and my constant contact, noting even cat 'feelings' and was really encouraged in treating more elderly cats and dogs.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM

I just cooked Timmy some chicken. He's having none of that either. He must be hungry by now.

When I first brought him home yesterday afternoon he seemed okay for awhile. He was exploring every room, every nook and cranny. He jumped into the bathtub and looked at me like "hey, turn the water on will you". Then about 5 p.m. yesterday he discovered the walk-in closet and that's where he keeps going. I put him on the bed last night but he only stayed a little while and back in the closet. I sat outside the closet door and he came over to me when I called him but then he went back in the closet.

I keep you posted when I found out more tomorrow.

My favorite vet, who is 45 minutes away, said it would cost about $325 for the dental but they will do blood tests first and they do use gas. Thankfully I have Care Credit.

I wish I knew if he was sick or in pain or just settling in. I feel terrible for him, his life has been so disrupted. I've taken in strays before and they always ate especially wet food.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:30 PM

15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times
You must be very concerned, and thank you for saving him for whatever time he has left in this world. Pet people are the best. Most people would have passed on a kitty this old, but you stepped up and should be very proud of yourself.

He could be in pain from the dental problems, and he has had his whole life turned upside down and has to be stressed. As long as he is drinking, that is one good thing, and maybe you have not hit on his favorite food yet, every cat is different. He is probably missing his previous owner too, and wonders what is going on.

Please let us know how he (and you) are doing through this. We totally understand how you are feeling right now.

Don

Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Thank you Don - I am a wreck. I lost my two beloved Chihuahuas in the last 3 1/2 months, the older one was somewhere around 16-19 and died August 26th.

Now Timmy is throwing up and not drinking either. Weird thing is he actually goes into the litter box to throw up. I'm just going to be outside the shelter vet at 8 a.m. I'm not waiting to call them. This whole thing is horrible - the poor cat; I just wanted to give him a nice life for whatever time he has left in this world and now I feel like he's suffering.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM

15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times
It's heartbreaking to see a beloved pet sick or pass away. We who have been there understand only too well. I've cried like a baby when I had to make that horrible decision for 3 of ours in the past.

Glad to see you will be there tomorrow, and we hope and pray everything turns out well. Please keep us posted.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats