Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:26 AM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times

Advertisements

You were all so helpful and supportive when Puck was heartbroken and had an anxious bladder last winter that I'm coming to you again!

My roommate came to get me around 10:30 to let me know that my cat was hiding under her bed growling, crying, and SCREAMING whenever anyone tried to get him out. He's been hanging out under the beds where it's cool for the last few days, and my roommate thinks she accidentally shut him in her room today during some fireworks that sounded MUCH closer than previous opening weeks at our local college. When I went to get Puck before the fireworks, I noticed my roommates' door was closed and assumed she was in with him (she's been told not to shut him in her room when she's not there) but she was actually out watching the fireworks herself. >.<

Getting him out from under the bed left him screaming unlike anything I've ever heard before. I was sure he was dying, that's how bad it was. He stopped screaming and crying when I pet him but still growled pretty constantly until we got to the 24 hour e-vet.

They did a full physical workup and blood work. His liver value was a smidge high, but not high enough for concern and they didn't think it was related. I'm bringing him to his normal vet in a month to recheck, but everything else was totally normal. By the time we left the vet, he was calm, purring, and flirting with the staff. Figures.

He ate and drank a bunch when he got home, and cuddled with me a little in bed, and now is fast asleep under my bed. He never seemed to be in any pain, at least not when I examined him and felt around.

Puck has never been afraid of fireworks or thunderstorms before. Has anyone heard of anything like this? The vet seemed to think it was just anxiety, and I want to believe it, but the screaming and growling was just so scary. I know getting anxious because of fireworks is totally normal, but the screaming seems less than normal.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,310,384 times
Well, since nothing was found during the exam, I would think the same as your vet.... stress/anxiety, etc. Perhaps being shut in the room alone pushed him over the edge so-to-speak.

You didn't say how old your boy is, but maybe he's developed a fear of outside noises that weren't a bother before. I've seen that happen with some of my cats. My girls Angel and Sheba were never afraid of thunder or fireworks until they reached around ten years of age. Now they head for the bunkers (under the bed) every time. My other cat Gypsy has always been scared of them, and still is at age 14. I've also had a few that were not phased by noise at all, even as seniors. But in your case maybe he was just freaked out by something, and it's a one-time thing... hard to say.

Way back in my 'clueless about cats days' I tried to drag a frightened cat from under the bed one time, thinking the poor kitty needed my comfort and reassurance. All the growling, hissing, and yowling that would have awoke the dead, not to mention the personal injuries to self, taught me that my services weren't appreciated. So from then on, I pretty much left them alone if they're freaked out by anything and let them calm down on their own.

But you were right to be concerned about his unusual behavior. If nothing physical shows up, you can work on what else may be bothering him. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:16 PM

Thanks catdad! He's about 9 (adopted him as a stray when they thought he was 3ish) so you might be on to something about developing fears.

I would never pull him out from under a bed if I thought he was just scared, but this screaming was something else and wanted to check him out. The only other time I've ever heard him cry was when his bladder hurt, but it was never as sustained and intense as this. I truly thought he was in so much pain that he was dying.

Puck is an incredibly friendly, gregarious, sweet cat and while he has dealt with some anxiety, it normally is focused on bladder issues (i.e. mimicking a UTI or peeing in the middle of my bed after I get home from a trip). He will hiss and growl when introduced to a new cat for about 15 minutes before he wants to be their best friend.

Poor baby. It breaks my heart that the fireworks scared him so much. My roommate knows not to keep the door shut with him inside if she's not there, and to make matters worse, she waited an hour before letting me know he was in distress under her bed.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:16 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,224,386 times
Yes, they can make some ear-splitting, unearthly noises when they are scared and/or anxious. I have a couple of cats who get very upset about fireworks. Not to the point of growling and screaming, but it would not surprise me if they did. Glad he is feeling better now!

Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 PM

So.. we're back in a scary situation again.

I stayed home from work to keep an eye on him and he seemed fine. He mostly slept under my bed (where he stays when it's hot) and came out every so often to snuggle. No problems there.

I just got home from the store with a new catnip toy for him and tried to pick him up. Mind you - picking him up is NEVER a problem. He cried when I reached for him and is now under my bed intermittently crying and growling. I was only gone for an hour!

Should I go back to the e-vet? Wait and see how he is in the morning? I'm freaking out.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:28 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Yes, they can make some ear-splitting, unearthly noises when they are scared and/or anxious. I have a couple of cats who get very upset about fireworks. Not to the point of growling and screaming, but it would not surprise me if they did. Glad he is feeling better now!
My chief cat likes fireworks. When he gets annoyed and under a bed he is simply left alone. He can through a fit and be a real pain. But you ignore him and after a while he sneaks out to get a drink and some food and then goes back to his snit. You don't drag him out at least without equiment. An 18 lb Maine Coon has 1/2 inch fangs and 3/8 inch claws. He can shred you before you can get out of the way.

So wait. They are like teenagers. Wait for a while and see if it is for real.

And if he is really being nasty confined to the laudry room. Has a feeder and an auto litter box. A couple of days in solitary and he behaves much better...and I don't lose any skin.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,577,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
So wait. They are like teenagers. Wait for a while and see if it is for real.
I second this advice. Since he was just checked over at the vet, let him hang out under the bed and keep watch.

Is it too hot for him?

Is anyone bothering him when you're away?

I run a window a/c -- cool one room -- most of August and into September. My little cat has problems with ragweed. I can't afford steroids, but I can afford a/c in one room. She actually goes in there on her own! She also "asks" me to put on the a/c if it isn't on, and she'll snooze in front of it.

At the start of ragweed season, she can be a little out of sorts because she's not feeling well, but the a/c helps her perk back up.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM

He's stopped crying and let me pet him under the bed, but isn't purring much and isn't super interested in his new catnip toy (normally he can't get enough).

I don't think anything hurts? He ate a normal amount for dinner, but I can't tell about elimination because roommate's cat also used his box. Roommate's cat is in her room for the night and I scooped the box so I would know in the morning.

Any ideas?

EDIT: A/C is on in my room but we don't have central air in the house. He's seemed to be getting along with the other cat, but the vet noticed a little cut on his nose that could have come from another cat. They were getting along fine earlier, but that's the only thing that's weird.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
He's stopped crying and let me pet him under the bed, but isn't purring much and isn't super interested in his new catnip toy (normally he can't get enough).

I don't think anything hurts? He ate a normal amount for dinner, but I can't tell about elimination because roommate's cat also used his box. Roommate's cat is in her room for the night and I scooped the box so I would know in the morning.

Any ideas?

EDIT: A/C is on in my room but we don't have central air in the house. He's seemed to be getting along with the other cat, but the vet noticed a little cut on his nose that could have come from another cat. They were getting along fine earlier, but that's the only thing that's weird.
Wait him out. He is being catty. They do that.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Wait him out. He is being catty. They do that.
In the 6 years I've had him, he's never done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats