U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 AM

33,142 posts, read 39,090,825 times

Advertisements

Our 14 yr old cat is usually active and frisky however for the last few days he has stopped eating and just lays on the floor, he does pee but i see no solid matter in his litter box.he is not doing his normal routine of jumping on the bed in the morning or running downstairs for his food. He doesnt appear to be in any obvious pain and was purring this morning when i was brushing his fur, I'll see how he fares over the weekend and if no improvement take him to the vet on Monday.
I'm hoping this is just a temporary malaise and nothing serious.
Any one else had a cat exhibit such symptoms?.
PS. his diet of dry food/soft food and the occasional treats hasnt changed over his lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:47 AM

9,109 posts, read 3,927,959 times
Is he strictly an indoor cat or does he go outside? At his age I would err on the side of caution and bring him to the vet but I'm a nervous Nellie with my animals especially when they get older. Something minor can turn serious very quickly in an older pet.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:53 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,120,371 times
A one-day malaise could be nothing, but more than one day means something. If it's not possible for a vet visit today or tomorrow (which would be what I'd do in your shoes), then first thing Monday morning.

Does he show interest in eating, that is, noses at his food, or does he show zero interest?

As FYI, purring is not always an indicator of contentment - cats can sometimes purr when they are in discomfort or are stressed.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:07 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
He is not the youngest and something is not right. Please take him to a vet asap. A day can make a difference.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:56 AM

Indoor cat and is not interested in his food,While his symptoms were probably happening on Friday we only realized the cat was acting strangely this morning (Saturday),i'd take him to the vet today but they arent open till Monday.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:58 AM

15,581 posts, read 9,657,290 times
Could be nothing but could be something serious. Just immediately take your buddy to the vet, they will know what is up.

Don

Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 AM

11,701 posts, read 16,450,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Indoor cat and is not interested in his food,While his symptoms were probably happening on Friday we only realized the cat was acting strangely this morning (Saturday),i'd take him to the vet today but they arent open till Monday.
Google vet emergency services.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:16 AM

Cat seems to have gotten over whatever it was that was bothering him yesterday, i guess he just had a bad day or ate something that didnt agree with him..
Thanks for your concern.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 AM

I adopted a 14 year old cat yesterday from our local shelter. His owner had died and his family had brought the cat there to be euthanized. The shelter saw how sweet he is and asked the family if they could try and find him a home. I was in there looking for Chihuahuas and it dawned on me that I could never replace my girls and living in a condo, a cat was the better option at this point in my life.

Well I filled out all the paperwork Friday and picked him up yesterday. The woman checking me out at the front said "he was supposed to get his dental the week of the 5th, the vet said his teeth are very bad". It was now the 10th. She didn't know why it wasn't done. Naturally I'm wondering if his age had something to do with it; maybe they didn't want to put him through that at his age if he wasn't going to get adopted. I told her that a pet dental is expensive and I don't have the $600+ to have it done and she said don't worry they would do it. His two upper canines stick out of his mouth and look pretty bad. Although his owner took good care of him, he never had a dental done on Timmy (yeah that's been his name for 14 years so I'm not changing it)

So now I have to bring him back in there on Wednesday. She told me they use general anesthesia, not gas and a vet tech does the dental unless teeth have to be removed in which case the vet takes over. I'm not comfortable with this and I intend to call them when they open tomorrow morning. Can you really put a 14 year old cat under anesthesia? I'm getting nervous because I brought him home yesterday about 1 p.m. and he hasn't eaten a thing; not dry food, not the 3 different canned foods, nothing. He is drinking and using the litter box. I'm not sure if he is not eating because he is nervous or if his mouth is hurting him. I'm making chicken tonight and I will see if he will eat some of that. I'm really tempted to bring him to my own vet for the dental. They will work with me on the payments. Will a reputable vet even do a dental on a cat that old?

I realize this is long but I'm concerned about him because of the not eating and the thought of him going under general anesthesia at his age. The poor thing lived in the same home for 14 years, his owner dies and then he's thrust in a shelter environment. Now he's in another strange place with someone he doesn't know (although he is friendly with me) and he decided he wants to stay in my walk in closet.

I don't want to lose another animal - it's been horrible for me to lose my two Chihuahuas in the space of 3 1/2 months. Please you guys seem to know a lot more about cats than I do. It's been years since I had one.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 AM

Quick update. I sat at the entrance to the closet, called his name and he came out and sat next to me purring and wanting his head scratched. Those two canines that stick out from his upper gum look bad. If he has teeth removed will he be in pain? I feel so bad for him. I wish the shelter had done the dental when they were supposed to. Now he's going to have to go back in the carrier (he hated it), back to the shelter, have surgery, back in the carrier again and then home. It's seems a lot for a 14 year old cat to endure when he had one home for all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats