U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 09:26 AM

27,586 posts, read 45,043,307 times

Advertisements

We have 17 yr old cat who had had some serious health issues for past 6-7 mo. Part of his current treatment now involves using a liquid fungicide for a yeast infection on his side and applying an ointment to sore that won't heal on his lower groin. We have 2 homes and Friday we traveled from one in FL to home in TX. We brought 2 of beds the cat was using in FL with us and he had several beds here already...one in garage and one on patio.
He has started sleeping in more isolated, hard to get him areas...and not in the beds in the house. Initially it was in back of the closet...hidden behind some boots...then came in from outside last night and when we went to do a treatment about 9pm discovered he was under the bed. There is really no easy way to get him out.
He stayed under there and missed the night applications. Came out at 4am...I have him 2 pills in pill pockets and he ate a little and drank water, used the litter box (I saw evidence this AM.)
I went back to bed thinking he would not return under the bed...but he did...

So far he has missed his PM and AM applications and his sub-cu arthritis shot.
This is a smart cat...he does not like the fungicide or wound ointment. But I also don't know if this might be the type of behavior animals do when they feel the end is near and they just "den up".
We had a long-time vet here who we came to realize likely misdiagnosed the initial treatment for the wound and missed early signs of kidney problems made worse by the antibiotic RX for the wound. We don't want to go back there but I also don't want the hassle of starting over w/new vet...

The cat seems alert (just looked at him under the bed)...he is not lethargic...

Am I over reacting?
Will he just come out when he is hungry or needs the box? He has never voided in house--even when he was at his sickest several mo ago...

We can set up a gate and restrict him to area where he can't hide out when he does come out...
He can't jump/climb because of his arthritis...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM

7,636 posts, read 5,126,912 times
Yes, cats will hide and seclude themselves when they think the 'end is near'. They will also do that when they are sick or hurting. It's an instinctual protective measure when they know they aren't up to a fight for self defense. I've seen my cats do it a few times when they were under the weather about something.

It is problematic when having to give meds. Best advice is to block off the access to under the bed, or anywhere that you can't reach. If he wants to hide, let him, as it will help with his stress factor. Just make sure you have access to him when necessary.

Sorry to hear your old mancat is ailing, and hope he turns around and gets better.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,773,419 times
I agree with cat dad above--cats do indeed hide away when they are ill, in pain, or close to dying. I remember when our Tucker had pancreatitis, he hid deep in a closet and I found him searching by flashlight.

I would either move a litter box near the bed (if you want to let him stay there), or block access to the bed/bed room.

It's a tough call, given he needs medicine. Do what you think is best for him.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:32 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,135,905 times
I also agree. But cats don't necessarily put two and two together, meaning, they don't understand that those horrible awful assaults (humans know them as medicines and treatments) will or are making them feel better. So, to avoid these horrible awful assaults they find places to hide that are as secretive and as inaccessible as possible to avoid you (since you are the assaulter in their minds). Your kitty, lovestoread, found that perfect spot under your bed, a much better spot than in the closet. As you wrote, "This is a smart cat...he does not like the fungicide or wound ointment." Indeed! Sounds to me like a very smart kitty!

Old 09-18-2016, 12:32 PM

27,586 posts, read 45,043,307 times
He still prefers to sleep under the bed at night and spend his days in my garage w/the door up 10" or so, letting him lie in the sun outside or inside where there is shade but concrete is warm...
He eats about as well as he did before but he doesnt like to lie by the dish after he has eaten some... Eats small amount and will then relocate
There were times before when he was using bed that he didnt mind having food close after he ate...he gets Pepcid AC dose 2x a day--1/4 tablet--so 1/2 tablet total

I go out every hr or so, wake him up and offer food--he usually eats w/appetite for few min b4 he is done... Then moves... I do that so he gets fluid as much as food since his wet food is blended w/xtra water in it...

Doesnt seem to be dehydrated
Drinking water couple of times a day and voids bladder 2-3 times a day

Alert when he is awake
Doesnt really avoid us and enjoys being petted

Old 09-19-2016, 08:27 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,135,905 times
There may be a number of things going on, but one simple (and normal) one is that with age appetites and energy levels do change, seemingly sometimes as changing overnight. In his very-advanced years my oldest cat changed from eating hearty meals twice a day to many small meals throughout the day -- still the same amount of food consumed daily, but in smaller portions. Sometimes I would have to wake him up for a meal just so that he wouldn't miss it. He also began to spend more time cat-napping, enjoying warm sunny spots more and more ... which makes sense since even humans find that regulating their body temperatures changes in advanced years.

What you're doing is good, adapting to his changes and letting him do what he feels he needs to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or