U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 11:56 AM

1,006 posts, read 629,565 times

Advertisements

My senior cat has arthritis, mainly in his back and back legs. He doesn't bite although I can tell he is uncomfortable, has slowed down a lot and doesn't stretch his back in his yoga pose when sleeping. He was also diagnosed with CRF, still in its early stages. In light of all this, he doesn't limp, continues his daily routine, drinks and eats. His last blood panel showed his kidneys are still ok at this time.

Because of his kidneys and age, the vet could not recommend any painkillers for his arthritis. He suggested Cosequin, joint supplements which he takes every day. I see very like improvements from the supplements.

It's difficult to watch my old man in such discomfort. Are there any safe alternatives or ideas that can help him? For example, I heard kitty massages helps but I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 12:30 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,770,754 times
Hi cheese nugget (love your screen name!),

Our oldest cat, Benny, has arthritis too. He also has elevated liver values, and I was hesitant to use pain killers long term. I started him on an injectable supplement called Adequan in May. This is a prescription supplement that you can give sub-cutaneously. The cheapest price I found was on Foster & Smith, though their availability is limited lately, so I bought a vial and syringes from my vet. You start with 2 or 3 doses per week for a month, than back off to once per week. I give him a few treats on the counter, then inject into his right flank.

It's really helped him. He's no longer falling when he tries to jump up (heartbreaking) and is playing every day.

Ask your vet about it. The vial is about a year's worth of doses, so per dose it's inexpensive (if you do it yourself).

Old 09-16-2016, 04:03 PM

5,877 posts, read 11,767,372 times
I agree with trying the adequan injections. In addition cold laser therapy may be helpful. If your vet doesn't have a unit, find one who does.

I think it's a real shame your vet isn't trying harder to help you help your kitty. S/he should already know about adequan and cold laser.

Warm beds are important. I make self warming beds using space blanket material. Cats love them. You don't have to be a seamstress though, you can get the blanket and put it under any bed kitty already enjoys using.

Easy to cut to size can be put under all beds

https://smile.amazon.com/Grabber-Out...+space+blanket

yes massage is also very helpful. It improves circulation and promotes relaxation, and encourages stretching and gentle movement.

I used to massage my little old lady girl who suffered terribly from arthritis. This was before adequan and cold laser were around.

I would start around her ears and neck. Rub gently, you will soon learn how much pressure he can tolerate. Massage toward the heart, so when above the heart massage down, and when below the heart massage up.

Work down the back, very careful of the spine. Encourage him to roll over and do his underside the same way, working back up. Go up the legs encouraging him to stretch them out. Oh my little girl loved her massages. She would twist around to make sure I didn't miss a spot. Don't worry if you feel awkward at first, you'll get skilled quickly.

Best time for a massage is when he's been sleeping in one position for a length of time. They stiffen up when they sleep curled up for too long.

Feed an all wet diet. Keeping him hydrated is very important, not just for his kidneys and bladder but for his joints too.

Oh and I almost forgot. Some bone broth (make your own) is chock full of collagen, so good for his joints! A tablespoon of that every day will help him too. Give it separate from other food.

Something else. Make sure his litter box is easily accessible, and easy to get into. Low sided at the entry point. And he may find it more comfortable if you put a puppy pad under the litter.

Last edited by catsmom21; 09-16-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats