U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 06:32 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,501,765 times

Advertisements

I happened to hear this on Fresh Air, on NPR, and it really surprised me - a careful analysis about training cats.

In case you haven't already heard about this person, Sarah Ellis:

Who Says You Can't Train A Cat? A Book Of Tips For Feline-Human Harmony : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 PM

20,621 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
"For the cat, that security does not necessarily come from a person or another animal, it comes from a physical place."
Not with my Serenity. With her, it really was a matter of where I was, not what place we were in. She didn't care where we were, to an extent, she cared more that she was with me.

Training wise, I never set out to train her. We just had such a strong bond, it happened naturally.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 PM

7,591 posts, read 5,105,718 times
In my experience, I've found that training a cat is a two-way street. The trick is to figure out who's training who and plan accordingly. To me it's sort of like the back and forth negotiations between a seller and a buyer over the price of an item. If everything goes right, you reach a mutual agreement and both parties get what they want.
Problem is, I'm not very good haggling, and I think I come out on the short end of the stick most of the time. But my cats are happy, so it's all good in the end.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:13 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,607,552 times
Hmm, I accidently trained my cats once - I intended to train the dogs and the cats inadvertently were also trained. I would whistle for the dog and give him a treat and tell him what a good dog he was, the cats being curious also came and I'd pay attention to them of course. Well, soon the treats were no longer necessary for the dog but every time I whistled for the dog all the cats also came, every, single time. So, I thought, hmm let me see what happens if the dog isn't home, my brother had him out, I whistled and sure enough the cats all came. It was hilarious. Then I trained them to do other things as well, along with the dog. It was like a parlor trick, look at these animals, there were two cats and a dog sitting on command. Funniest thing ever.

I was never able to train the one cat to NOT chew through string however, or do other doggy things like fetch, but they'd come, sit and sit up on command. I was amazed, the one cat was a kitten but the other was an older cat, he was very social so I guess that was what motivated him, I don't know. He would run to the door when the bell rang, whatever the reason it was fun and endearing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or