U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,413,505 times

Advertisements

Hi and thank you for taking in the little guy! Unless I missed it, I see no mention anywhere of you having taken him/her to the vet for a complete check-up including worming and a full set of vaccines. That should be first and foremost on your list. You can discuss diet with the vet, but generally wet is better. I feed both wet and dry (my hubby and myself have 20 kitties in our home !).

A kitty companion would be wonderful for the little guy to play with while you're gone. He will sleep of course, and play, but having someone to romp and roll with would be more fun for him. The cat tree suggestion is wonderful, and a collection of cat toys is also necessary. Make sure to keep the litter box clean, and get a larger one as kitty grows. If you do get a second kitty - increase the number of boxes.

Catproof your apartment - no strings, pins, needles, tacks, bread twisties, etc. laying around. Anything small and easily swallowed could be ingested by kitty and harm or even kill him, especially if you're not home. Just use common sense, love him, treat him well and play with him. You will have the most loyal and adorable companion you could ever imagine. Hoping you both have many wonderful years together!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,768,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Hi and thank you for taking in the little guy! Unless I missed it, I see no mention anywhere of you having taken him/her to the vet for a complete check-up including worming and a full set of vaccines. That should be first and foremost on your list. You can discuss diet with the vet, but generally wet is better. I feed both wet and dry (my hubby and myself have 20 kitties in our home !).

A kitty companion would be wonderful for the little guy to play with while you're gone. He will sleep of course, and play, but having someone to romp and roll with would be more fun for him. The cat tree suggestion is wonderful, and a collection of cat toys is also necessary. Make sure to keep the litter box clean, and get a larger one as kitty grows. If you do get a second kitty - increase the number of boxes.

Catproof your apartment - no strings, pins, needles, tacks, bread twisties, etc. laying around. Anything small and easily swallowed could be ingested by kitty and harm or even kill him, especially if you're not home. Just use common sense, love him, treat him well and play with him. You will have the most loyal and adorable companion you could ever imagine. Hoping you both have many wonderful years together!!!
Excellent post!

I wanted to add that dental floss is a big danger, as are disposable razors for shaving. I once left a razor in the tub and our Sadie dragged it out as kitten--scared me to death.

Bring a stool sample along to the vet--kitten likely has worms (as most kittens do).

Old 09-21-2016, 06:42 AM

1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Thanks for all the advise.

I am waiting for kitty to get acclimated before I take her to the vet. She is still a tiny bit skittish learning the lay of the land.
I did notice her staring deeply into my fish tank last night. Should I be worried?

How much does one expect to pay for spay and shots?
Is there any recover ill effects of this to a kitten?

Thanks again.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:13 AM

1,006 posts, read 629,110 times
There should be low cost or free spay clinics near you. Check your local shelter, human society or rescue. They will either do the surgery for you or give you a coupon and refer you to an outside vet for the procedure.

Your kitten must weigh at least 2 lbs and be at least 8-12 weeks old for the spay. As all medical procedures have risks, the spay itself is very safe, quick and you can usually pick her up the same day or a few hours later.

Shots are usually provided by the same low cost clinics or mobile clinics (no spay, only shots) at your local Petsupermarket, Petco, etc. For her first visit, I would recommend spending the money on a regular vet so she can be examined and you can build a relationship with as she grows older. They will deworm her, deflea her if she has any, etc... services normally not included in the low cost clinics. The private vet definitely will charge a little more for the spay. The difference shouldn't be too much as she is a kitten. The choice is yours depending on your budget and what makes you feel most comfortable.

Lastly, if the vet offer declawing your cat, please refrain from doing so unless all training and help to stop kitty from destroying you and your things have been exhausted.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:42 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,125,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I did notice her staring deeply into my fish tank last night. Should I be worried?
No (unless the tank doesn't have a cover!), in fact that's a great "enrichment"!

Old 09-21-2016, 08:12 AM

1,086 posts, read 435,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
No (unless the tank doesn't have a cover!), in fact that's a great "enrichment"!
There is a slot in the back where she can fit her paw.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:47 PM

4,201 posts, read 12,125,609 times
Quote:
There is a slot in the back where she can fit her paw.
Mine is like that, too, but the opening is narrow and near the back where the filter is. My cats usually would just jump up on the table the tank was on, but can't now because the table is too small :-( Mine didn't jump on the top, but we've seen lots of YouTubes showing some do!

Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 AM

7,607 posts, read 5,111,496 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the advise.

I am waiting for kitty to get acclimated before I take her to the vet. She is still a tiny bit skittish learning the lay of the land.

How much does one expect to pay for spay and shots?
Is there any recover ill effects of this to a kitten?

Thanks again.
It's hard to say... maybe, and maybe not. Depends on the cat.

Years ago we had a Beta fish in a round 1/2 gallon bowl on our coffee table. A few of our 7 cats would sit by the bowl and watch the Beta swim around, sometimes for long periods of time. But not once did they ever try to stick their paws in there to get the fish.
But all the cats got in the habit of drinking out of that fish bowl, to the point of it being their exclusive watering hole. Sometimes as they were drinking, the little Beta would swim right up where they were lapping the water and just stare at the cat, or flip around and around in the ripples. I think they both enjoyed the interaction, and it was pretty cool to watch.

The Beta fish is long gone now, but his bowl remains. The cats won't drink from anything else most of the time. I think a couple of the cats missed him after he died, but they got over it.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 PM

31,201 posts, read 57,331,348 times
Quote:
She is in my house happy and seems to be healthy. She's eating like a horse. Getting used to the lay of the land. She comes to me and lets me pet her.
Congrats on your new housemate! Thanks for rescuing her.

Does she have a name?

My cats wear collars, eat grocery store cat food, and stay home alone all day.

They wear breakaway collars, which will snap open if they're caught on something. There are several collars hidden somewhere in this house that just got lost at some point ... argh. My cats are indoor only, and they probably don't need to wear collars, but we collared them when they were still outdoor cats, and just kept them on with ID tags.

My cats eat mostly Fancy Feast - they don't go in for those expensive pet shop brands. I guess I should be grateful? I also choose to give my cats a tablespoon or so of grain-free dry food. If your cat hasn't had any dry food yet, don't start giving it to her if you can help it. It's not the best thing for them.

Since she'll be home while you're at work, you might consider keeping her in one room when you're at work while she's still a tiny kitten. Kittens can get into an awful lot of trouble. Make sure she has lots of toys, places to hide, scratching posts, and soft places to sleep. Give her free access to fresh water.

You might even consider getting her a companion ... ?

Oh, and the fish tank ... If it's covered, it should be no problem. My childhood cat used to drink out of the fish tank (it had a filter, but ewww ... ), but she never bothered the fish.

Have fun with your new friend!

Old 09-24-2016, 10:44 AM

9,121 posts, read 3,936,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
1. I'm not fond of collars. I'd suggest a microchip instead.

2. I feed canned and raw, a variety of brands. Fancy Feast classics (check the label) for canned, and Stella & Chewy's raw, Rad Cat raw, Nature's Variety raw. You can make your own raw if you prefer, but please make sure it's a balanced recipe (there are recipes in the link PeachSalsa provided).

3. Given that you have a kitten, she will need lots of playtime to stay happy and release that energy. I'm a fan of having a pair of cats, but if that's not possible, make sure to play with her morning and evening. I'd suggest a tall cat tree and some scratchers, and a place where she can look out a window for entertainment.

Would love to see a photo. :-)

My cats are always microchipped; however, if one manages to run out the door and it doesn't have a collar on and gets lost I would have to depend on someone finding my cat, assume that it is NOT a stray and then taking it to a vet or calling animal control to see if it microchipped. I use a breakaway collar with a tag with my phone number. In the event it gets out, even if the chance is remote, she can be returned quicker if found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats