U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 06:05 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,123,205 times

Advertisements

We also use a professional petsitter. Licensed, bonded, insured. There are many all over the US who fit this criteria.

You can search on the National Association of Professional Pet Sitters page at National Association of Professional Pet Sitters

or Pet Sitters International at https://www.petsit.com/

Many years ago we did board our cats, but not only was it expensive, it was also not a great fit for our cats. So we began using professional petsitters. There's always a meet-n-greet before hiring them, so you can get that instinctive first impression that you can trust them (or conversely if that warm-fuzzy feeling isn't there, interview another petsitter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 12:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 326,667 times
I use a licensed, bonded, insured cat sitter. I got her information from my cat's vet.

In the past, I have used vet techs. Check with your vet for a vet tech or a well-known cat sitter.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:26 AM

13,230 posts, read 11,768,860 times
My mom and/or dad catsit when I'm away, but if that weren't an option, I'd go with a professional pet sitter who would visit the house. I hate the idea of boarding my cat somewhere because I know she'd be traumatized.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 PM

1,017 posts, read 554,032 times
I have been a pet sitter since 1999 on an as-needed basis. Clients are by referral only. I am bonded and insured with references. At least in my area, there are no licenses required. I can give meds, shots; am CPR certified. I pet sit for my veterinarian (2 cats and 2 dogs) when he and his wife are out-of-town. My vet is well known and universally liked, so that is an excellent reference.

I started using pet sitters for my kitties when I used to travel for work. The main reason is I never felt comfortable asking friends to clean litter boxes, etc.

Very important to interview a potential pet sitter in person (so s/he can meet the pets and you can get a feel for professionalism, maturity, knowledge). I would never have a teen in the neighborhood pet sit... too many distractions. Trust is huge as a pet sitter. Yes, I am registered with a couple of national organizations. And pet sitting didn't get to be as big a deal until I was already established. In other words, there are hundreds and hundreds of pet sitters in the bay area and many throughout the US who think it's easy money and no skills are required.

Finally, pet sitting is a lot of work. I always said it is the hardest work I have ever done for the least amount of pay.

As an aside, I volunteer with the local top notch humane society for many years. Every year, we would have huge amounts of volunteers, especially in the kitten nursery. Fast forward two months later, more than half dropped out citing it was "too much work" (especially the high school students). This year, the kitten nursery closed down five weeks early due to lack of volunteers (first time).

Old 09-29-2016, 08:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,412,337 times
I like SouthernBellinUtah's suggestion of asking one of the vet tech's at your veterinarian's if they might be interested - or perhaps seeing if you could board your cats at your vet's office for a couple of days while you are gone. Some have an area where they could put the cats away from where the dogs are - so that they are not visible and the cats are not bothered by them. I thing the cat only sitter is a rip-off as well.....what a tidy little system they have there.

I can understand them wanting to only admit healthy cat patients - but a notice from your own veterinarian should certainly be acceptable. I think they are money grubbing. If your vet's office isn't an option - perhaps they know of someone trustworthy they can vouch for and guide you to. I would check into them.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:25 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
We do not have a cat sitter but our girls are so neurotic they are scared of almost everyone unless someone is around often.
When I was in the hospital after my stroke last year my Brother moved in with us to care for our animals and they love him but they got used to him.
We generally take the girls with us when we travel unless we are going to be camping then we leave them at home but we go camping 15 miles from our home so one of us comes to check on them a few times a day while we are gone and we generally spend Friday evening, all day/night Saturday and come home on Sunday around 1:00PM

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
I have an older neighbor that I sometimes have dinner and drink wine/play cards with. Last year when I was going to Europe for the first time, and that was the first real vacation I'd taken since 2009, I asked her if she would be willing to come in and feed and scoop. I have no one else I could possibly ask, and no family anywhere near me. I was a bit leery, because even though she is my friend, she is very nosy and gossipy and my condo is not as fancy or as neat as most people's houses, but she is goodhearted and I figured she would be better than a stranger.

It worked out very well, and I've had her watch the cats for weekends, when previously I just left them alone with food and water and an extra box, and then again for a whole week earlier this month. The cats just love her. When she stops over, they come trotting out and run over to her to be petted.

When I was in Europe, she came over a few times with her granddaughter and they stayed for an hour, petting the cats and playing with them. I was a little nervous this past month when I went on vacation out of state because now I have a sick cat who needs medicine, but she did just as I do, wrapped her in a towel and dropped it down her throat with the dropper.

She said she would do it for free, but I pay her. She is 76 years old, on SS and food stamps, and she had a job taking care of a lady with Alzheimers to bring in some extra money, but the woman died earlier this year. I know she can use the money I pay her, and I feel secure knowing the cats are being taken care of by someone THEY seem to like.

She has a cat of her own, by the way, and has had other animals in the past, so she isn't a complete stranger to pets. And taking care of cats is probably easier than bathing, dressing, and changing an old woman's diapers.

See if you can find someone like that in your neighborhood.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:02 AM

6,307 posts, read 7,135,200 times
We had our next door neighbor's son (about 17) come and do a "feed and scoop" when we went away for two weeks. As our cats do not require medication or other specialized handling, we thought it would be somewhat ridiculous to pay a professional to do what just about any person on the face of the earth can do.

If we had a situation where we could not get a neighbor or a friend to come in, we would hire a professional, but that would pretty much be our last resort.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 AM

51,245 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
We had our next door neighbor's son (about 17) come and do a "feed and scoop" when we went away for two weeks. As our cats do not require medication or other specialized handling, we thought it would be somewhat ridiculous to pay a professional to do what just about any person on the face of the earth can do.

If we had a situation where we could not get a neighbor or a friend to come in, we would hire a professional, but that would pretty much be our last resort.
Before I lived where I do now, when my daughter was still a teen and I knew lots of people in the neighborhood, I just had one of her friends come feed and scoop when we were away. They already knew the cats and the house and they were happy to make a couple of dollars.

Before I took my last vacation, I noticed that my vet offers medical boarding for $24 a day, and I considered it for the cat with IBD, but the neighbor was willing to administer the medication and I thought it would be traumatic for Mattie to not be in her familiar surroundings when she doesn't feel great to begin with.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:46 PM

2,090 posts, read 971,994 times
As luck would have it, my wife worked for a pet groomer and boarder, so when we were out of town they boarded our three munchkins, even delivering twice daily insulin shots to our diabetic cat.

Flash forward to this year. We moved from NC to FL and we had to board our 3 for six weeks because we didn't have a home yet - we were living with my mother-in-law and she had a cat of her own - no chance to make a 1 cat family a 4 cat family, even for only 6 weeks.

When we finally moved our "family" into our brand new home, they cried for days and hid under the bed. It took several weeks till they finally got used to their new "digs."

The point is, if you can keep 'em home, they'll usually fare better than to board them for long periods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats