Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

Good news: ShadowCat is doing well. She still uses her very low litter box. SO got her to take all her UTI medication. I was floored. He just told her to be quiet and stuck it in her mouth. ??? Exam, meds, lab, x-ray.

Tooth Cleaning: She has plaque on her back teeth. The phone estimate was 575-750$; more if extraction is deemed necessary.

Shots: Shots for her and Cha-Cha will run 225$

We do not have any options but to go ahead. How do folks with a pride of furries handle this? Another vet is not an option unless we want to drive 45 minutes plus.

I had to vent. SO asked this morning what I wanted when he got French Toast for breakfast. He will know later today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:57 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
I hear ya. Our vet is also very expensive but they are REALLY good. I have been bringing my cats to them for the past 20 years or so. They know us-know our cats. The problem is they are growing-getting bigger & bigger. There used to be only one vet there-now there is three and of course they have all the techs, receptionists, etc. etc. About 10 years ago or so, they had the building renovated to make it bigger. All of that cost so their fees have been going up.

I have often thought about going somewhere else. But, it would be farther and I don't think we will have as personal attention. I don't have to warn them about Electra. The vet will ALWAYS warn her tech about her. She always makes sure she brings in a towel & gloves when we bring in Electra. (She has a MAJOR catitude at the vet.) We don't have to relay history-they already know it. That is why I like going to them. But, their prices are really on the high side-and with 3 cats, it is VERY expensive. I keep telling myself that it is worth it.

Cat

Old 09-28-2016, 01:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Yup.

One of our vets (we have two, one for our crazy hound, the other for the rest of the brood) is very good about taking the time to explain what is and is not absolutely necessary when it comes to procedures. I have gotten the distinct impression from the time of our first visit that they absolutely are not into "upselling". The other? Well, there's a reason that I only bring my hound in there, and it's not for their reasonable charges.

At the end of the day though, of course the cost is going to be what it is. What I've decided to do with our orange kitties is to stagger their appointments. At the end, of course, the cost will be the same, but to me it's easier to split it up over a couple of months.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:36 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
The vets that are 1/2 a mile away from my house are also very expensive. They wanted $320 to euthanize my Abby last month. My former vet, who is now 30-45 minutes away, charged me $120. Now that I have a cat I don't know if I will take her there. It's stressful to listen to a cat meow pitifully for so long.

I have a Care Credit card that I use primarily for vet appointments if it is something expensive.

Glad ShadowCat is doing well.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,088 times
Alas....kitty ownership and maintenance is VERY expensive, Threestep. My hubby and I have 20 kitties in our house and I can absolutely tell you - while cheaper than kids and college (probably not by much!) it is sticker shock sometimes. We just had two of our senior girlies in for dentals - one in August and one in September. The one in August was a little over $750, which included her cleaning, and several extractions as well as blood work prior to and also a check of her thyroid (she is hyperthyroid). The quote was around $400, but the extractions cost more - and we have learned to pretty much expect it. Both girls are about 14, and they both had bad teeth. It had to be done....

Her sister had hers done right after Labor day - and surprisingly only had to have 1 tooth pulled, as well as her blood work prior to. Her bill was only about $475 - which was cheap for us. Given that we have so many kitties - we pretty much don't even blink when we have a huge bill. We just pay it and are happy we have our kids with us. Most of them are getting older - and we have lost several in recent months and the past year. When you have furchildren - you have to be prepared to take care of their needs - all of them - regardless. Go on and vent - it will make you feel better....but it has to be done anyway!!!
PS...dogs are expensive too!!!!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Some vets prey on peoples love of their animals and equate how much they love them with how much they are willing to spend on them!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 AM

275 posts, read 396,857 times
I can sympathize on all counts. When I got my first two cats in 2006, I could take them both in for their annual checkups and it would cost under $200 including shots. Now, it will always run $500+. If any treatment or medication is needed it can easily be doubled.

I have 7 cats. My older two, two strays I adopted, and three feral kittens that I rescued. I simply cannot afford to drop $500 if I take two in for routine exams. My vet sold his practice, and prices went up. He will prescribe "supplements" without giving me a choice as to whether I want them, or explain what they might or might not do. He recently put a cappuccino bar in the waiting area. I kid you not! I thought "This is what we are paying for!"

I live in a rural area, and logistically it would be very hard to change vets. Plus, from what I hear the alternatives might not be worth the added travel time and having to take time off work. So I only take my cats in for their rabies shots unless there's a problem. They are indoor only. I do take my two 10 years old in annually.

Good luck everyone!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Similar situation here. Vet clinic was expanded and totally remodeled earlier this year. No coffee bar but K cup options.
It was an expedition to drive 3 1/2 hours from TX with both in the car and I will not put the three of us through travel time with potential traffic jams, wrecks, you name it unless there is no other option. It was vet or body shop. A no brainer!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:41 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
When I bought my condo, I was happy to see that there is an animal hospital not even five minutes from my house. Then I actually took my cats there. I forget what they charged the first year, but it was a couple hundred per cat for an exam and their shots. The next year I brought them back, and they said, "Oh, your cats are now past 7 so they need the Senior Cat exam, which is $350 per cat and we do this, that and the other thing." $1400 for exams for four cats? I don't think so. And then, of course, I'm SURE they would find all sorts of thing that they "needed" that would cost me thousands more.

I do have to give that place credit. They detected at 7 that my kitty Winkie was in the early stages of kidney disease, which was young for a cat to have, but the vet told me that since she was congenitally blind, she probably also had other defects, and the kidney disease could be one of them. She did develop kidney disease, and I had her treated at another vet which gave me a few more months with her, but I lost her before she was ten.

I get the shots at the free clinic they do here in town, and a friend told me about another vet fifteen minutes away who is more reasonable. His building and office isn't as fancy, and he doesn't sell all kinds of products in the front, but I have confidence in him. The price I pay is listening to the yowling for a little longer in the car.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:10 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Some vets prey on peoples love of their animals and equate how much they love them with how much they are willing to spend on them!
Yup. I think my limit was reached with my old vet when they changed the signage on the boarding part of their practice to include the word "spa". They obviously are trying to cater to clientele that does not include me.

Though, I think the word "prey" in this particular case is too strong a word. In our market economy, they have the choice to have their own business model, and I have the choice not to patronize their establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats