Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 AM

16 posts, read 21,120 times

Advertisements

Couple thoughts. I ordered a timed feeder for my cat on Amazon, so we will see how it works.

As for the dry vs wet, I can say that when I adopted my cat, he ate nothing but dry food. He must have had wet food at some point, because I tried some and he gobbled it up. As far as I know, most cats refuse wet food at first since they don't even recognize it's food. I guess I got lucky. I did notice within a few weeks to a month, his fur got MUCH longer and softer. He was fairly coarse feeling when we got him, but the wet food diet made his white stomach look like a polar bear. He definitely benefited from wet food, but I don't hold it against folks who feed dry food. I still hate how his wet food smells, and we mix in extra water to it for him, so it's more "work" than just throwing a cup of kibble in a bowl. If he were a female id feel much better about dry, but it's not fair to feed him dry when I know it could cause him to block and die. Almost wish I was still uninformed, but all in all he's much healthier and has way more energy.

Fancy feast classic sells a 24 pack of 3oz cans (8 each of 3 flavors) and it's like $14. Serves us well and doesn't break the bank. I like the fact it's low carb and he crushes it. He wouldn't really eat it at first until I mixed in water and made it a soupy texture. Could work for others who want to try it out. Not pushing my beliefs, it's just cool seeing him appear healthier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:01 AM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube View Post
We feed our cat wet food twice a day, as well as a few small snacks. He's perfectly healthy and a good weight. Here's his eating schedule:

Breakfast 930am
Snack noon
Snack 5pm
Dinner 930pm
Small snack 1am when I get off work

He eats small amounts every time, trying to space it out. 6oz wet food, plus healthy grain free snacks. He's 2 years old and weighs 11.5lbs. His weight has stayed the same for months now.

My problem is he wakes me up EVERY morning, nearly always between 6-615. He has a meow he does when he's hungry, and he won't leave me alone. Ive tried shutting the door, but he goes into my kids room and wakes them up. Any good suggestions? He ate only dry food when I got him, but we got him completely off of it. I wish I could leave a small bowl of it out just at night, but I know it's bad for him so I want to avoid it. No one is awake at 6am in my house, so he's becoming a big issue. I don't want him to go hungry, but I also need my sleep.
I'm up by 4 am so I can't sympathize with your problem. If you have a cat like this, then either feed him more before he goes to bed, or leave some snacks out for him to eat in the morning. He is your charge and you need to get up and feed him if all else fails. It's call responsibility. Or give him to someone who can take care of him.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubikscube View Post
Couple thoughts. I ordered a timed feeder for my cat on Amazon, so we will see how it works.

As for the dry vs wet, I can say that when I adopted my cat, he ate nothing but dry food. He must have had wet food at some point, because I tried some and he gobbled it up. As far as I know, most cats refuse wet food at first since they don't even recognize it's food. I guess I got lucky. I did notice within a few weeks to a month, his fur got MUCH longer and softer. He was fairly coarse feeling when we got him, but the wet food diet made his white stomach look like a polar bear. He definitely benefited from wet food, but I don't hold it against folks who feed dry food. I still hate how his wet food smells, and we mix in extra water to it for him, so it's more "work" than just throwing a cup of kibble in a bowl. If he were a female id feel much better about dry, but it's not fair to feed him dry when I know it could cause him to block and die. Almost wish I was still uninformed, but all in all he's much healthier and has way more energy.

Fancy feast classic sells a 24 pack of 3oz cans (8 each of 3 flavors) and it's like $14. Serves us well and doesn't break the bank. I like the fact it's low carb and he crushes it. He wouldn't really eat it at first until I mixed in water and made it a soupy texture. Could work for others who want to try it out. Not pushing my beliefs, it's just cool seeing him appear healthier.

Let us know how it works out!

Old 11-04-2016, 12:52 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,746 times
LOL...ours do the same thing. We feed them 3 times a day. 6am, 5pm, and midnight. Every morning about 5:45 our one cat will start to meow and cry until one of us gets up and feeds her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats