Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,257 times

Advertisements

I realize this is an old thread, but a friend of mine had a very recent experience involving Convenia.

His 4-year old female cat apparently had a urinary tract infection [UTI]; she was otherwise a healthy cat. The cat was taken to a vet [not her regular vet], who as a first-line approach gave her an injection of Convenia.

Within a couple of hours the cat had become "a zombie"—extremely lethargic and not eating or drinking. The cat's health rapidly deteriorated and two days later she had to be euthanized. The severe reaction was clearly caused by the Convenia injection.

I understand there are many far less risky options to deal with a UTI in a cat, and Convenia appears in any event to be touted primarily for 'skin infections'. Plus Convenia stays in the body for a long time, as opposed to other non-injectable drugs that the body can get rid of quickly.

Last edited by Judi-1; 08-04-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi-1 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but a friend of mine had a very recent experience involving Convenia.

His 4-year old female cat apparently had a urinary tract infection [UTI]; she was otherwise a healthy cat. The cat was taken to a vet [not her regular vet], who as a first-line approach gave her an injection of Convenia.

Within a couple of hours the cat had become "a zombie"—extremely lethargic and not eating or drinking. The cat's health rapidly deteriorated and two days later she had to be euthanized. The severe reaction was clearly caused by the Convenia injection.

I understand there are many far less risky options to deal with a UTI in a cat, and Convenia appears in any event to be touted primarily for 'skin infections'. Plus Convenia stays in the body for a long time, as opposed to other non-injectable drugs that the body can get rid of quickly.
Sorry your friend lost his cat, especially in such a manner. When I've dealt with UTI's in the past, it was usually clavamox or clindamyacin (sp?), with a 10 day regimen. Covenia provides no hassle for the human, but at what cost?
Thanks for this little story.... and welcome to the forum.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:10 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,150,657 times
Default In-CONVENIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I wasn't given an option nor was I warned. I thought, after my cat became a bit lethargic and I panicked and learned about it, that I should have been told options. And perhaps suggest to me that if I can pill her or liquid medicate her, that would be better .....

I WOULD have used it on the feral I tamed, but not enough to medicate. He was very sick. Convenia was certainly apt to do more good than harm and better than no meds!
I caught one of our strays--not feral, he's quite affectionate now (or was until Convenia)--and took him to the neuter joint, Humane Ohio. They said he had a skin infection on his head and suggested Convenia. I figured, just another antibiotic so OK, the guy was in a pretty bad way.

Little did I know the side effects. I got him home Tuesday, and when I opened his cage door rather than hiss he let me pet him and scrunch his head.

Later when it got warmer I opened the garage door, thinking he'd probably head for freedom. But he's been holed up somewhere in the garage clutter ever since. He's eating and drinking, but this morning I found a big gob of diarrhea by the drain. I'd seen a little spot of it Wednesday and thought, side effects, no biggie, he's been through a lot.

So I looked up Convenia and saw the articles referenced above. NEVER AGAIN!!

I don't want to kill or make very sick this poor guy, I just want him better so he can live a happy cat life.

One person said they administered probiotics every three hours.

I haven't contacted our vet yet, any OTC suggestions and successes are much appreciated. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats