Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times

Advertisements

I'm in AZ still, thus it is only near freezing at night, as was last night. But though cold for here, I can't imagine what ND, MT & ID, etc. & the kitties (those homeless ) & what if anything, anyone there can do to help? Just putting this out to see if anyone has ideas to help folks, there dealing w/ this harsh cold, & those cats living outside -- w/ no places to hide for shelter & warmth. It really concerns me, though can't do alot from AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 05:45 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
It's been pretty cold here in NJ, although nowhere near as cold as the states you mentioned. The temp was in the single digits the other night and during the day we had wind gusts in the 40-50 mph range. I worry about my ferals a lot in the cold. I have igloo-style doghouses that they stay in, and I put a lot of fleece blankets in them, as well as multiple heated-up Snuggle Safe Disks. But I know it's not enough and they are cold out there. Darn it, I wish they would come in the house! But they won't. They have been eating a lot to stay warm, and I have to give them fresh water in the middle of the day, because it freezes so quickly.

I bought some mylar "space blankets", but I can't decide what is the best way to use them for the cats. I know if they step on it and it makes a crinkly sound, it will spook them and then they might stay out of the slightly-warmer igloo and hide under my shed.

Luckily, tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 50s. Very strange, but good for the cats.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
It's been pretty cold here in NJ, although nowhere near as cold as the states you mentioned. The temp was in the single digits the other night and during the day we had wind gusts in the 40-50 mph range. I worry about my ferals a lot in the cold. I have igloo-style doghouses that they stay in, and I put a lot of fleece blankets in them, as well as multiple heated-up Snuggle Safe Disks. But I know it's not enough and they are cold out there. Darn it, I wish they would come in the house! But they won't. They have been eating a lot to stay warm, and I have to give them fresh water in the middle of the day, because it freezes so quickly.

I bought some mylar "space blankets", but I can't decide what is the best way to use them for the cats. I know if they step on it and it makes a crinkly sound, it will spook them and then they might stay out of the slightly-warmer igloo and hide under my shed.

Luckily, tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 50s. Very strange, but good for the cats.
Thx Lor, as here in AZ our days in 50s feels cold. I'm originally from back east thus know your winters. They are erratic as days can change from 50-60s to 20-30s next day. But here I do use blankets for ferals, & try keeping food & h2o out, but constant battle as many ferals compete. I've see one for a long time I'd like to catch but he's a tom &, I think, as my g/f says, likes outside best. He is a huge black cat & I love him & he responds when I see him to, "Blackie", yes I know -- how original? lol

Ok, well hope folks have ideas we all can use to do something for these needy kitties in the cold.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:00 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,255,402 times
"Blackie"? LOL We have a "Spotty" feral cat. How original is that? Spotty is almost 14 years old and still hates me. Hisses every time he sees me. Yes, evil woman putting out the food. Must hiss at her...

I have had to change my feral feeding routine because of competition from skunks and possums. We had a rabid skunk here a little over a year ago, and I have no desire to feed the skunks. And possums eat everything in sight! (They are cute, though.) So I feed the ferals in the morning and early evening, before the sun sets. Then I take the bowls inside at dark. The ferals have adapted, and figured out the correct times to come out and wait patiently for my back door to open. In the morning, they hop out of their little igloos, stretch luxuriously and sit in front of my shed as if to say, "Come on, it's cold and we're hungry!".

Old 12-20-2016, 07:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,922,669 times
I'm in SE Wisconsin and it's bitterly cold here. We too have a "Blackie" feral cat. I have a feeding station, but his home base/sleeping area is somewhere else. I check for paw prints daily in the snow, and keep the food bowl full.

He was neutered two weeks ago and has made himself scarce since then, but he's been spotted around the neighborhood by others.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:34 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
We only moved here recently. One of our house cats got out almost as soon as we got here. She refused to come back in so we started leaving food in the mud room. Saturday night the temperatures hit 29 below zero. Yesterday she was meowing to come back in the house. She now seems content to watch the outdoors from the window.

But my point of this cats can survive cold temperature as long as they have shelter to get into.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:30 AM

965 posts, read 938,689 times
This is a great shelter. has anyone else used the Kitty tube?

https://smile.amazon.com/Improved-Ki...door+cat+house

Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
It hit 28 below zero where I live. We have a feral cat support group in our area and we help each other make shelters. The simple solution is lots of straw bales in sheltered places, and fortunately there's plenty of straw and hay available here! People also make individual cat shelters out of foam coolers.

I let the semi-ferals that came with this property I bought last year, who I feed/spay/neuter, into my basement at night. Those who come when I call have a nice warm sleep, while those who don't come seem to do ok out in the barns and hay shed. I also leave my garage door open a smidge and have an old couch out there with several sleeping bags on it.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:11 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
"Blackie"? LOL We have a "Spotty" feral cat. How original is that? Spotty is almost 14 years old and still hates me. Hisses every time he sees me. Yes, evil woman putting out the food. Must hiss at her...

I have had to change my feral feeding routine because of competition from skunks and possums. We had a rabid skunk here a little over a year ago, and I have no desire to feed the skunks. And possums eat everything in sight! (They are cute, though.) So I feed the ferals in the morning and early evening, before the sun sets. Then I take the bowls inside at dark. The ferals have adapted, and figured out the correct times to come out and wait patiently for my back door to open. In the morning, they hop out of their little igloos, stretch luxuriously and sit in front of my shed as if to say, "Come on, it's cold and we're hungry!".
Awe,,,,,he doesn't hate you. Just scared. I had a hissy one, he even bit me because i pet him w/o permission. In fact he made himself really clear to not do that. He GROWLED. And mine that I have in now hissed at me I was like you don't mean it and pet him he was like yeah I didn't mean it lol. But he still hisses at new people. It just means stay away because I scared!

Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,072,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I'm in AZ still, thus it is only near freezing at night, as was last night. But though cold for here, I can't imagine what ND, MT & ID, etc. & the kitties (those homeless ) & what if anything, anyone there can do to help? Just putting this out to see if anyone has ideas to help folks, there dealing w/ this harsh cold, & those cats living outside -- w/ no places to hide for shelter & warmth. It really concerns me, though can't do alot from AZ.
Up until recently I lived in ND for about 8 years. We moved to MN in June of this year. Lived in rural areas in both states. Found that while there are many feral cats it seems many adapt well as barn cats. I do discourage people from dropping cats off at farms in anticipation they will become "Barn Cats" the reality is more often then not the existing dominant cats will kill the newcomers.

Getting back to topic I have found that as long as a cat has shelter to escape from the wind they tolerate the temperatures quite well. One of our current house cats was a former barn cat. Although she was friendly and affectionate she was not interested in coming into the house. Took a year to entice her to come in. When we moved here in June the first chance she had she scooted out the door. I began just setting her food out in the mud room--problem was a skunk decided to share with her---that's another thread. Anyhow Saturday night we had 29 below Zero temps. Yesterday she come mewing at the door. Now she is back in the house and content to watch the snow from a window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats