Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

I have three cats, I have found it unbearable to live without a cat in the house. I lost three cats all within a year of each other, I was devastated. The house was empty of cats for like 3 months and it was awful, then I adopted Salem.

He has other names as well, when he escapes, we call him Houdini, when he passes gas, we call him Farticus, when he runs from the thunder, we call him a BIG BABY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
People who thinks they are just unfeeling animals need to work at a kill shelter! They DO very much have feelings just like us. I got so mad at the people who brought their beloved pets in for stupid reasons and just dumped them, not knowing what it would do to them. The FEAR in their eyes of where they were and what happened to their humans, some would get so depressed that they would stop eating and die, others were put to sleep right away simply because they were not special enough. One older couple brought in the cutiest litter of long haired babies I ever saw and as I took them to the back, I said loud enough for them to hear "If they knew what bringing you here would do to you, they would grab you and run out the door and love you for the rest of your life!".. The lady left in tears.. I wanted to scream at her "WHY NOT JUST SPAY THE MAMA AND STOP THIS MADNESS!!!!!?????"

I have had a cat all my life and the one thing I know is just how darn smart they are! They have shown me they CAN think and solve a problem, I have a CH little girl that has set her goals and done what I thought was impossiable for her to do but she set her mind to it, studied it and figured out how to do it! They KNOW what t-r-e-a-t means and what time they get them. They know what I mean when I say it is time go go nitey-night and head right for the bedroom. They understand SO much more than people realize. I read somewhere that they have the understanding of a 3 year old child and I believe that.

I have another one that belonged to a neighbor that neglected and abused her and she sat on my door step for over 2 years begging to be mine because she knew she got love, respect and food here. When she was at her worst and not far from dying, the neighbor allowed her to belong to me and she has repaid me back so much with undying devotion and love. She looks at me and I can see the love in her eyes that she has for me..

I could tell you stories all day about things like this...

I will end my post with that was a deal breaker with a guy I would be interested in. I always asked if they liked animals, if they said no, that was that. If I was dating them and one negative comment was made about my cat... that was the end of him. To me, when I bring one home, it is a lifelong committment and for better or worse. Nowhere else have I found such faithful, unconditional love. They are my fur kids, my babies and I adore them.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:18 PM

31 posts, read 173,716 times
I got my cat 18 years ago and he was like my first born. Everyone said he will be just a cat after you have kids. He never was just a cat. We have two children and I always said we have three children, one is our furry child. However, yesterday we had to have our furry child put to rest. He had diabetes and was very ill. I am so emotional. I truly physically ache to hold him and cuddle with him. I am lost. Yesterday was nothing short of awful...today is slightly better. He will never be just a cat. He was family. He was so much to me and I feel like I have lost one of my own....I am probably crazy but he was so very special to our family.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
No, you are not crazy, and you have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your beloved kitty.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:22 PM

31 posts, read 173,716 times
Thank you so much. It is comforting to chat with others that understand how much your pet means to you.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Yes, I love my Big Girl very much. Have only had her a few years. Got her a couple years after my Old Girl passed on (may she rest in peace). She has the run of the house. And I agree, if someone doesn't like my cat, it is a deal breaker. Was dating a guy and getting serious (I thought), when he kicked my cat off the bed (my Old Girl). He was gone soon after.....

Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Yes, I love my Big Girl very much. Have only had her a few years. Got her a couple years after my Old Girl passed on (may she rest in peace). She has the run of the house. And I agree, if someone doesn't like my cat, it is a deal breaker. Was dating a guy and getting serious (I thought), when he kicked my cat off the bed (my Old Girl). He was gone soon after.....
OOOH, now that would not be tolerated. Entrance into the inner sanctum of my bedroom is not only granted by myself but by my cats. There will be NO kicking of the real men in my life.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:38 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Song of Saint Jerome

Eusebius Hieronymous Sophronius kept a cat
On dark nights alone in a dim cramped cell
Laboring over moldering tombs translating the word of man
He would pause from the speeches of the savior
Scratch behind alert ears and under proud chin
Run a foot over belly exposed in perfect trust
A blanket of warm fur curled around ironbound feet
A saucer of milk filled with languages captured by candle
Each time he reached for the ink well, flourishing the quill,
Curious whiskers twitched with a knowing smirk
When Hieronymous sought to quench the driving desert thirst
Did his feline friend, ascend desk with agile grace
Unsheathe claws and curling a purposeful paw with indifference
Bring a deep indigo flood across carefully scrawled scripture
Paw prints left ever so callously across gilt and God
Did Jerome, maker of fact and keeper of cat - sigh
Shake his bald head and pull on his neglected beard
Only to bend and stroke silky hair and bushy tail...

P. Hintlian

Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Only a keeper of cats would understand that wonderful bit of prose.......

Old 03-28-2008, 05:20 AM

621 posts, read 3,205,348 times
I have to agree with most everyone on here. I LOVE my cats. They are like my children(I have no human ones ) and are definitely part of the family. When the time comes for them to go I will be so heartbroken. I truly hate when people just think animals are just "pets" or "animals". They have their own personalities and some are such affectionate creatures. They are great and I love my kitties to death!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats