Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 01:01 PM

41 posts, read 32,690 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much, Catdad and all of your babies too. : )

It is hard to watch them get older and sick, the poor little guys. I think that I got spoiled with my last two cats because Jasper lived to be 21, and my Scootie lived to be 16. I was so lucky to have so much time with them, and since Tom is only 11, I have this irrational feeling that he should live as long as my other kitties. If only that were possible! sigh...

Staying as positive as I can,
Tracy. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 02:05 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Don't feel like you have to agree to every test the vet suggests. If you want to, that's your choice, of course. But you know he isn't well and his time is probably limited. That's really all you need to know at this point. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I've just learned some difficult lessons over the last 4 decades of cat-owning.

Keeping paws crossed for Tommy. Tail-whacking is a good sign!

Old 01-16-2017, 01:17 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Don't feel like you have to agree to every test the vet suggests. If you want to, that's your choice, of course. But you know he isn't well and his time is probably limited. That's really all you need to know at this point. I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I've just learned some difficult lessons over the last 4 decades of cat-owning.

Keeping paws crossed for Tommy. Tail-whacking is a good sign!
ITA. If he is in a weakened state, doing a biopsy may do more harm than good. And if there is cancer, maybe it can't be treated anyway.

Sending a hug.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:58 PM

Thanks so much, you guys. I was on the fence about getting him tested, and then in the end I decided to do it-it was expensive, but luckily my ex-husband sent a check just before I took Tommy in, so it worked out. I don't know if the vet will be able to treat him, but I'm supposed to hear from him about the biopsies soon. Part of me knows that this may or may not help him in the long run, but when my Scootie passed away in January of 2015, it was from cancer, and We ended up having a good ten months together after her diagnosis. Not sure how long I'll have this sweet, grumpy ol Tom (Or as I call him "Tommy Tutone Teen") but I hope it'll be for awhile longer.

Thanks so much for caring and being here, you guys. I am so glad to know I'm not alone!

Hugs to you guys,
Tracy

Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 PM

I hope Tommy recovers from his biopsy quickly and is back to whacking you with his tail asap!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnsky38 View Post
Thanks so much, you guys. I was on the fence about getting him tested, and then in the end I decided to do it-it was expensive, but luckily my ex-husband sent a check just before I took Tommy in, so it worked out. I don't know if the vet will be able to treat him, but I'm supposed to hear from him about the biopsies soon. Part of me knows that this may or may not help him in the long run, but when my Scootie passed away in January of 2015, it was from cancer, and We ended up having a good ten months together after her diagnosis. Not sure how long I'll have this sweet, grumpy ol Tom (Or as I call him "Tommy Tutone Teen") but I hope it'll be for awhile longer.

Thanks so much for caring and being here, you guys. I am so glad to know I'm not alone!

Hugs to you guys,
Tracy
Crossing my fingers for you.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Hi again everyone. Thanks so much for your good thoughts and prayers for my little guy. : )

I have an update on my Tom, btw. The vet did biopsies of his liver and spleen, and the good news is that there wasn't cancer in the liver. But, he does have hepatitis, which was really a surprise! I didn't know that cats could get that, but his eyes have looked funny lately and I think that's why. So, he's getting shots for the hepatitis, and has an antibiotic too, on top of the meds he's been on already for his thyroid and heart. (The poor guy has a whole pharmacy to take now-lol)

The final thing is that they did find mast cells in the spleen, but in order to say for certain that it is cancer they'd have to take out his spleen, and it would cost like $1500. Even if I had the money, I'd hate to put the poor baby through surgery, so we're just going to keep treating the other issues and give him pain meds when the time comes.

Poor love. He's so skinny but so sweet, I just want to cry when I look at him. But, he's eating his chicken, drinking water, using the litter box, and is grooming himself as we speak. I wish I could do more for him, but the truth is, I can't make him live as long as I want him to or wave a magic wand and make him healthy again. I wish I could though.

Not to be selfish, but I've lost three pets, my Mom, and my marriage in the past 4 years, and so knowing that my Tom may not be around too long is getting to me right now. : (

Anyway, thanks for listening you guys. I hope you're all doing good and of course your little furry guys too. : )

Tracy

Old 01-25-2017, 08:15 PM

I am glad Tommy is doing OK. We have a saying around here, especially about our older cats: "As long as (he or she) is eating and excreting, we're good". That usually gets shortened to "eating and excreting". Grooming him/herself is even better. Getting to the litter box and depositing the deposits inside it instead of on the floor somewhere within shouting distance of the box? Throw a party!

Old 01-26-2017, 07:32 AM

Wow, that is a surprise! I think your course of treatment sounds like a good one. Having an elderly cat with glaucoma and hyperthyroidism, I understand the "cat pharmacy," LOL.

Hoping he soon feels better.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks so much, you guys. : )

Lori-LOL! Well that is for sure! I'm going to need to focus on the positives more from now on!

Rene-Thanks so much. Sorry that your kitty is dealing with his own health stuff, but glad you have a good "pharmacy" for him! LOL

Take care you guys,
Tracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats