Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 07:55 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions to help my kitty, Buttons? Buttons is 12 years old, and has been plagued with skin problems. He's been to the vet numerous times. This problem started about last summer. He was scratching his lower back (base of tail area), so badly the fur rubbed off, and his poor little back was red and swollen. This all happened rather quickly, and we took him to the vet as soon as it was noticeable. They recommended Zyrtec, 5--10 mg/day, along with a temporary course of prednisone. He seemed to recover, and his fur grew back, however he continues to scratch. He's been to the vet 3-4 X for this.

Today I noticed what appeared to be pieces of rice along his tail base. Some appeared to be moving! I was horrified, and dh immediately rushed Buttons to the vet. They did a bunch of tests, and said he just has dry skin, and to brush him! We do, except he won't let us get near his tail area when its bothering him.

The vet didn't prescribe anything for him, no supplements, creams, etc, just said to keep giving him Zyrtec and brush him. She said last visit he's allergic to fleas, so we dosed him with Advantage. In about one week, this shows up! I understand those little things that look like rice could be worms, but I don't believe she tested for worms.

Perhaps time for a new vet? Or at least a second opinion? Poor kitty cries when his backside hurts, and all we have to give him is Zyrtec, which helps relieve the symptoms, but the itching just comes right back when the Zyrtec wears off. I believe its more than just dry skin!

Suggestions, please!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 01-09-2017 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 08:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 4,186,049 times
Moving pieces of "rice", if they were near his anus, sounds like tapeworm. Did they check his stool? It sounds like they did not.

Has the vet suggested changing his diet? What does he eat? Did you change the type of litter you use, or detergent you use to wash his blankets or bed (or even your blankets, if he sleeps on your bed).

If it is allergies, a lot of detective work is in order. They can be frustrating for sure.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Moving pieces of "rice", if they were near his anus, sounds like tapeworm. Did they check his stool? It sounds like they did not.

Has the vet suggested changing his diet? What does he eat? Did you change the type of litter you use, or detergent you use to wash his blankets or bed (or even your blankets, if he sleeps on your bed).

If it is allergies, a lot of detective work is in order. They can be frustrating for sure.
I wasn't at the vet, my dh took him. According to dh, they did a fecal/worm test, but its not on the bill. The vet made NO suggestions, other than what she has prescribed before, which is Zyrtec. I'm wondering if she doesn't want to admit she was wrong or not thorough. She just said he has dry skin and to brush him, which we do, when he lets us. He bites at the base of his tail, and will bite at us if we go near that area. If she said dry skin, you'd think she would prescribe some sort of dietary supplement?

The test they did include:

Chem 10 panel
Idess electrolytes
Idexx CBC procyte
cytology
cytology diff quick

They said his blood count, sugar, kidney liver functions are all ok. Supposedly they did a fecal exam, too. So, what is his problem? Why does he scratch, cry, and have little "things" crawling over him? They are near the base of his tail, not around his rectum.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Any suggestions from other cat parents?

If his coat is dry, perhaps a supplement? We currently feed him Blue Freedom Indoor Cat, one can wet food/day, and the same brand dry food in the feeder. According to the label, it does contain Omega 3 Fatty Acids, 9% min. 9% of what? I have no idea how much that works out to, and don't know if its enough, but the food does contain some fatty acid.

He developed this problem last summer, but I can't think of anything different introduced to his life/diet/etc. We are consistent in our lifestyle and "brand-loyal" to cleaning products, etc. I just can't understand why he has these problems, and I hate to see him in such distress. You can tell when he's itching. He can't reach that area to scratch, so he starts kneading things like soft blankets, etc, or rubs his back against pillows, etc, while he cries. Its sad to watch. Sometimes he lets me put an ice pack against the area, sometimes he doesn't want to be touched there.

Surely there must be something better than just watch him suffer and treat the symptoms with Zyrtec? I'm considering a visit to Texas A&M Vet School for a second opinion. They're expensive, but worth the cost if they can help, and we live close by.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:16 AM

991 posts, read 1,217,701 times
As LoriNJ intimated, sounds like allergies; which can be pretty common in pets.

Food is a possibility ... or the environment, lawn spray if the cat goes outside, cleaning solutions if the cat stays inside ... bedding & all kinds of other things.

And even though you may not have changed what you buy, the formulations could change from the manufacturer.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:50 AM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Get rid of the dry food. Feed only wet.

Add an Omega 3 supplement such as krill oil. Most pet foods are deficient in omega 3.

I'd be concerned about the moving grains of rice. Could be maggots in the wound?

Continue to treat for fleas.

Take kitty to another vet. Your vet doesn't appear to be taking any of this seriously, or listening to you (or dh)

PS avoid caned foods containing fish. Fish, especially the quality (very poor) used in cat food is very high in histamines.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-10-2017 at 06:09 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 06:17 AM

One more thing regarding food. Rotate brands and proteins (continue to avoid fish, read labels, often fish is added even though the food is not fish named)

There may be something the brand uses that he is sensitive to.

Add new (canned) foods gradually.

Constant exposure to the same food ingredients greatly increases the potential for allergic reactions.

Last edited by catsmom21; 01-10-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 PM

2,973 posts, read 3,868,588 times
I'd start with bringing a stool sample to your vet and ask them to test for tapeworms (and other parasites). You can drop this off without bringing the cat in. A cat gets a tapeworm by ingesting a flea, so even if you treat for fleas, the tapeworms will still be there unless treated.

Also, did the vet do a skin scraping to check for anything medical? I'd insist on this to make sure it isn't ringworm/fungus/etc.

Finding a different vet seems wise.

ITA with everything cats mom said above. ^^^^

Old 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,238,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I wasn't at the vet, my dh took him. According to dh, they did a fecal/worm test, but its not on the bill. The vet made NO suggestions, other than what she has prescribed before, which is Zyrtec. I'm wondering if she doesn't want to admit she was wrong or not thorough. She just said he has dry skin and to brush him, which we do, when he lets us. He bites at the base of his tail, and will bite at us if we go near that area. If she said dry skin, you'd think she would prescribe some sort of dietary supplement?

The test they did include:

Chem 10 panel
Idess electrolytes
Idexx CBC procyte
cytology
cytology diff quick

They said his blood count, sugar, kidney liver functions are all ok. Supposedly they did a fecal exam, too. So, what is his problem? Why does he scratch, cry, and have little "things" crawling over him? They are near the base of his tail, not around his rectum.
Your kitty may have an allergy/dry skin issue, but I can tell you that the 'moving white rice' things near the rear end are tapeworm segments.... and I don't care what that vet said. Gather up a sample in a baggie and show it to your vet (or get a second opinion). There's a topical available to treat tapeworms and it works quite well, just don't recall the name. The worms coming out may or may not be causing the skin issues, but it's one problem that you can fix fairly easy.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Your kitty may have an allergy/dry skin issue, but I can tell you that the 'moving white rice' things near the rear end are tapeworm segments.... and I don't care what that vet said. Gather up a sample in a baggie and show it to your vet (or get a second opinion). There's a topical available to treat tapeworms and it works quite well, just don't recall the name. The worms coming out may or may not be causing the skin issues, but it's one problem that you can fix fairly easy.
Profender. It's broad spectrum, treats tape round and hook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats