U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:28 PM

43 posts, read 138,740 times

Advertisements

I have had my cat for about 13 years. She is an indoor/outdoor cat. Mostly out door. She comes in to eat and all that but stays outside all day and most of the night. I noticed the other day that she is missing her bottom teeth. Is this normal in older cats or is it something I should be concerned about? Just wondering if I should get her into the vet....but I don't want to have to pay a hefty fee if I do not have to really. So any help or information would be wonderful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM

2,801 posts, read 5,877,821 times
We had a couple of purebreds and they lost all their teeth by age 6 and they even ate dry food. You should be fine if she is still eating well but have the vet check her mouth carefully when she gets her shots. At her age, a yearly check is important.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 3,627,408 times
I've had one of my cats for almost 12 years now, and she still has all her teeth. (of course she is an indoor only kitty) I would call and ask the vet if nothing else, it is possible that she lost them naturally, and nothing is wrong, or it might be that she has some sort of gum disease or something that needs to be treated.

Proper dental care is very important in animals (and humans) because it can lead to other more serious problems.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 PM

337 posts, read 1,056,730 times
You might want to start keeping her indoors at that age. My boy is 14 now and only goes outside when I'm there to supervise. I don't need to have a heart attack if he goes missing.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:11 PM

It's hard to keep her inside, but she's getting use to staying in the garage at the moment so that is a step. Suppose it's time to just take her into the vet, it never hurts anyways. I just never knew if it was normal for a cat to lose their teeth or not.

Thanks for the tips~!!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 AM

22,480 posts, read 27,048,543 times
Older cats can and do sometimes lose their teeth. As long as she's eating well and maintaining weight and general good health I wouldn't worry too much about it - unless she has gross zoo breath! Cheers!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM

ha-ha. Her weight is great! She hasn't been very active lately though. As for her breath...it smells like cat food so nothing out of the normal there.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:10 AM

13,565 posts, read 23,049,866 times
I had a himalayan lost her back teeth at 16, but she couldn't eat dry food and was loosing weight. The dogs were helping her eat her food I guess but I was giving her some wet food too. I had to change to only wet food. Learned my lesson on that one. Now kitty food is in another room and blocked off so no snacking by the pups.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 31,254 times
I had a Siamese that lived to be 23yo and in the last couple years he lost some of his teeth and got cataracts on his eyes but he was still healthy and just moved a little slower. It wasn't until he started losing weight and refused to eat that we finally decided he was a very old man that didn't need to suffer in his old age.
When he started losing teeth, I just changed his diet to include some canned food with the dry so I knew he was eating enough. Dry food can be hard on their gums and they can slow down their eating because of it but adding some canned food will guarantee you they are eating plenty.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,504,010 times
By all means, please take your cat to the vet. You have to expect that the animal is going to need care, especially in the later years. If I had only realized that my cat was slowing down because of pneumonia, I would have had her to the vet sooner. Another thing for people to know is that cats get arthritic in their old age too and are prone to fall off things. That happened to my 19 year old cat and she was not the same after falling from a second story ledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats