Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 PM

109 posts, read 142,527 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow cat people!

I need help with my cat! He is a cuddly cat and is happiest when people are around. For awhile now he has been waking up early in the morning and meowing, trying to get us to wake up. The behavior has been getting worse and he's been getting more insistent. He'll jump onto my dresser and bat things onto the floor now. Sometimes he brings a noise toy into my bedroom and starts playing with it. A few days ago came the big one. Both bedroom doors were shut. He tore up the carpet with his claws, as if he was trying to dig his way in. It looks really bad. This morning I shut him in the bathroom with a few toys and he seemed fine when I woke up. However, I don't know about this solution every night. Anyone else dealt with this? I'm tired!!

(Also, I have been feeding him a little right before bed to tide him over in case hunger is the issue. Even if I get up in the morning very early to feed him he'll eat a little and then come back with the same behaviors.)

Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 03:46 PM

51 posts, read 52,317 times
All cats do that. Its normal. Their natural hunting instincts make them wake up early.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:51 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,825,951 times
Lucky is the cat that sleeps with me normally, and as soon as the sun comes up, he starts walking over the top of me to get me up. I've found a secret though. At night I put a bowl of dry food on the floor in my room, and he nibbles all night, so he isn't so hungry that he leaves me sleep for a while later.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:30 PM

29 posts, read 22,648 times
I agree with don. Our cat sleeps with us and used to do the same thing when we were not leaving enough food out for her. Every morning she will wake me up so I can fill her food bowl and then she only takes a bite or two! But after we leave out a bowl of dry food for her at night, she's been behaving quite nice in the morning. I know you mentioned feeding your cat right before bedtime, but some cats (like the one we have) isn't really hungry and just want to take a few bites in the morning.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,918,919 times
Boy, I feel lucky that there is hardwood floor outside of our bedroom door!

Have you tried a vigorous play session just before you go to bed? That really helps at our house. Try something like Da Bird or Cat Catcher (a mouse on the end of a wire, our cats go nuts for it).

Old 02-07-2017, 02:16 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,537,849 times
How about an office chair mat placed directly in front of your bedroom door? It would cover the entire area and protect the carpet.

Chair Mats | Office Chair Mat for Carpet, Flooring | Staples®

Old 02-07-2017, 03:48 PM

109 posts, read 142,527 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try the play session before bed and keeping some dry food in the room to eat throughout the night. We now have rugs outside the bedroom doors...I appreciate all the help!

Old 02-08-2017, 07:25 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
If your cat is overweight leaving out unlimited food is a bad idea.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,279 times
I have a little ball https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I put just a little food in at night. I keep this in the drawer by my bed. If Regina wakes me up too early, I just take the ball out and roll it across the floor. She bats it for about 3 minutes and gets a couple of pieces of dry food, then she comes back to bed for another hour or so.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:24 PM

838 posts, read 554,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuscoCasa View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try the play session before bed and keeping some dry food in the room to eat throughout the night. We now have rugs outside the bedroom doors...I appreciate all the help!
And just in case he eats all the food before you are ready to wake up, maybe you can invest in one of those time release cat food dispensers? Perhaps have it set to when he is most active in the early morning hours and when the humans are not?

I'm lucky to have been able to train my cats not to move until they hear the alarm go off. Then it's game over. On weekends it is a different story because they have get into a mood that says, "OK, you slept long enough and we've been plenty patient. Now, lady, GIVE US FOOD!". And as the dutiful human I am, I get up and feed them. Oh wait, jokes on me -- I'm the one who was trained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats