Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,405,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Wellness, & their step-down brand Weruva, are ok in a pinch. But do try to splurge for Rad Cat as its soo good & really helps -- from digestion to taste to coat, etc.
Would you say these two are far and away better than FF? looks like it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Be careful, there is a Wellness recall currently.

https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/update/

As for the quality compared to the other foods mentioned, possibly better quality marginally. Look for foods without carageenan or spinach.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:21 PM

ok, well the thread title is feeding canned food. OP didn't ask for a lecture on raw, OP asked about feeding canned food.

I am also interested in feeding canned food and I am uninterested in feeding raw. I think it's rather stupid to act like there is no such thing as one canned food being better than another because only raw is suitable.

I know for a fact that FF is better than Friskies, for instance. A quick glance at the ingedients makes that really easy to see.

Now OP and I both want to know something better than FF but not raw. If you want to help, great, if not, don't. But don't lie and say that some canned cat food are only 'marginally' better because that is bunk.

This is like the coo-coo's on another forum that won't help people pick out better dry food because they are too committed to people feeding canned.

That's all well and good but if someone insists on dry then it's good to help them at least get a better dry. And for those of us who insist on no raw, it is really the cats you are hurting by refusing to help with which kinds of canned are better than others.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 PM

How am I refusing to help? I answered your question. Wellness is marginally better than FF and other Purina foods. It's not hugely better.

All canned is highly processed food with all the goodness of the real ingredients cooked out, and added back in as supplements.

Any canned is better than any dry, because of the moisture content, there is no such thing as a "good dry". But you can still feed wet, not break the bank, and feed foods that don't have too much junk in them.

The best way to do that is to learn to read labels, learn what ingredients are and decide what you can live with and what you can't, and make your choices based on what you have learned.

It is preferable to feed a rotation of brands and proteins, rather than one brand. Recalls or discontinues can happen at any time. If you are feeding only one brand, you could be left with nothing the cat will eat.

In addition, if you are feeding more than one food, and one of those foods go on recall, the risk to kitty is much less, if s/he has not eaten that food exclusively.

Another reason to feed a variety, is: there is no perfect canned food.

You may not be able to find enough foods to feed that don't contain one or more undesirable (to you) ingredient. Feeding a variety, even if you have to feed some with those worse ingredients, dilutes the effect of them.

Plus, many recalls are because the food is imbalanced in some way. No two foods provide exactly the same nutrition, no two batches of the same food do either. The more variety you feed, the better the chance that your cat(s) will have a balanced diet.

Without too much or too little of something constantly, as they might with the same food all the time.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:40 PM

If Wellness or any other food is only 'marginally better' there is no reason to spend more then. They may as well stay on FF. Heck, I may as well put them on Friskies or 9 lives. Since raw is the only healthy thing and there is not an appreciable difference, might as well save money. That is what your 'help' leaves a person with.

There is no science for your opinions on canned vs dry. I happen to agree it's better, but there is no supporting evidence for your statements.

Especially 'any canned is better than any dry'. No way. If I had to choose between a great dry and a ****ty canned I'd go with the great dry. 'There is no such thing as a good dry' is your opinion. It isn't a fact.

I think Wellness is a lot better than FF and something I am willing to spend more money on. But if you were my only guidance it would be ****ty. If I agreed with you, I'd start buying the cheapest canned.

That is how your 'help' end up being very unhelpful except to people who want to feed raw. Being a zealot you aren't helping cats whose humans want guidance on better dry or better canned. Maybe you should bow out and let people who know about that advice rather than turning every single thread on it into an argument about raw.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 AM

29 posts, read 22,222 times
Okay I think the discussion has taken a turn and went down the road of which food is the best lol. I'm aware of the raw feeding option but I'm not ready to go down that route yet. Raw feeding is a whole different animal in my opinion, and I will have to do a lot more research on that before I start raw feeding my cat.

The good news is, my cat finished a whole can of Soulistic chicken flavored food all by itself today, so I think the transition is much easier than I have initially thought. Mixing the two flavors definitely helped! I did get two cans of Sheba pate food on Friday, I don't like how it has meat by-product as one of the ingredients but figured I should at least give it a try. My cat ate those just fine, however, she also had diarrhea the very next day. That left me feeling extra guilty and decided to stay away from that brand. :/

As far as better canned food options goes, I've been looking online a lot more this weekend. (Now that my cat is eating chicken flavored food makes me feel more comfortable stocking up on canned food). And what I've found out is that a lot of the cat food are actually cheaper than I have thought when I converted the price to dollar/oz. So I guess I will have to look around more and figure out the best food for my budget. Hopefully I will find a quality food that I can afford.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
If Wellness or any other food is only 'marginally better' there is no reason to spend more then. They may as well stay on FF. Heck, I may as well put them on Friskies or 9 lives. Since raw is the only healthy thing and there is not an appreciable difference, might as well save money. That is what your 'help' leaves a person with.

There is no science for your opinions on canned vs dry. I happen to agree it's better, but there is no supporting evidence for your statements.

Especially 'any canned is better than any dry'. No way. If I had to choose between a great dry and a ****ty canned I'd go with the great dry. 'There is no such thing as a good dry' is your opinion. It isn't a fact.

I think Wellness is a lot better than FF and something I am willing to spend more money on. But if you were my only guidance it would be ****ty. If I agreed with you, I'd start buying the cheapest canned.

That is how your 'help' end up being very unhelpful except to people who want to feed raw. Being a zealot you aren't helping cats whose humans want guidance on better dry or better canned. Maybe you should bow out and let people who know about that advice rather than turning every single thread on it into an argument about raw.
"no science"? Cats are strict obligate carnivores. They are not meant to eat hard dry grain nuggets. They are meant to eat meat high in moisture. There's your science.

As for the rest, use your brain. I've given you guidance on how to choose a foodsI am not going to tell you what food to feed. You'd argue about it anyway. You have a brain and have been given suggestions on how to make choices. Use it.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarctic View Post
Okay I think the discussion has taken a turn and went down the road of which food is the best lol. I'm aware of the raw feeding option but I'm not ready to go down that route yet. Raw feeding is a whole different animal in my opinion, and I will have to do a lot more research on that before I start raw feeding my cat.

The good news is, my cat finished a whole can of Soulistic chicken flavored food all by itself today, so I think the transition is much easier than I have initially thought. Mixing the two flavors definitely helped! I did get two cans of Sheba pate food on Friday, I don't like how it has meat by-product as one of the ingredients but figured I should at least give it a try. My cat ate those just fine, however, she also had diarrhea the very next day. That left me feeling extra guilty and decided to stay away from that brand. :/

As far as better canned food options goes, I've been looking online a lot more this weekend. (Now that my cat is eating chicken flavored food makes me feel more comfortable stocking up on canned food). And what I've found out is that a lot of the cat food are actually cheaper than I have thought when I converted the price to dollar/oz. So I guess I will have to look around more and figure out the best food for my budget. Hopefully I will find a quality food that I can afford.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,528,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Be careful, there is a Wellness recall currently.

https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/update/

As for the quality compared to the other foods mentioned, possibly better quality marginally. Look for foods without carageenan or spinach.
It does not say WHY though, that all these -- 12oz cans ONLY -- are recalled? Is it missing things or worse, added toxic items? Anyone know?

Do any Wellness, Weruva or Soulistic cans actually not have carrageenan or spinach in them? Catsmom??

Old 02-13-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
It does not say WHY though, that all these -- 12oz cans ONLY -- are recalled? Is it missing things or worse, added toxic items? Anyone know?

Do any Wellness, Weruva or Soulistic cans actually not have carrageenan or spinach in them? Catsmom??
Ingredients per brand can vary greatly, the only way to know for sure is to read every label.

There was a problem with a different brand being processed in the same facility, is what I read, and they were doing this as a precautionary measure.

from the link:

Quote:
Our Quality team learned that a foreign material was found in non-WellPet products made in the same facility, and so we are taking this conservative step to ensure the well-being of cats and to put our consumers’ minds at ease
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats