U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 AM

14,465 posts, read 8,525,820 times

Advertisements

Rowan hasn't peed for about 24 hours. Noticed it last night when I cleaned her litterbox that she hadn't peed, just pooed. Went to clean it again this morning and nothing. She hasn't gone anywhere else or I would have smelled it. Is that normal? She doesn't act sick or anything. I'm leaving for work soon and won't be back till 5:15.

When I first got her in September she didn't poo for quite a few days but finally did after quite a few days. I was on google and it seems a cat not peeing can be rather serious. I guess I will have to call the vet when I get home if there is not a clump in the box.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:23 AM

46,094 posts, read 41,139,613 times
Is kitty drinking water? If so and not peeing get kitty checked for stones.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:04 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,603,343 times
It is rare for a female to actually block (be completely unable to urinate due to an obstructing stone or gravel), but I would call the vet if she is not urinating. Lack of urination can also be a sign of acute kidney failure. Also, double-check she hasn't found a "new spot" to urinate.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Just got home from work. She has not peed, at least not in the litter box. She is drinking - I have seen her. I have a small 2 bedroom condo (she's not allowed in the 2nd bedroom) and I have a very good sniffer. If she was peeing somewhere I would smell it the minute I opened the door. So now she hasn't peed in about 36 hours. That can't be normal. Unless she's figured out how to use the toilet and flush.....She is not acting sick or like she is in pain. She's eating her wet food now and I even added a little water to it although it's got more liquid than a pate type food.

She's only 6 1/2 years old and seems very healthy, although she's a little chubby and has been since I adopted her in September. My vet is closing in 10 minutes and I can't get her there tomorrow until about noon or so as I have an important appointment with my son at 9 a.m.

When I first got her she wouldn't poop for days and I was freaking out because the 14 year old cat I adopted right before I got Rowan only lived for 5 days and he didn't eat a thing for five days. I spent almost $800 on a cat I had less than a week. Still paying off the credit card bill so she had better pee tonight!

Old 02-08-2017, 04:20 PM

9,370 posts, read 16,965,719 times
No pee in 36 hours is an emergency. Go. Now. All paws crossed for her. It cannot wait until tomorrow, she must be in agony. Remember that cats hide pain.

Either that, or she is peeing somewhere. She's got to be. Will Rowan let you handle her? If her bladder is full to bursting (and they do burst, I am sorry to say, though rare in females as the other member said) you'll be able to feel it I think.

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-08-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Just checked - and she has peed in the box - not as much as I would suspect after not going for so long. She does not let me pick her up and I can't afford any bites or scratches on my arms (former cancer patient). I will keep an eye on her - I only work two days a week and I'm off the next few days.

Thank you.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Just checked - and she has peed in the box - not as much as I would suspect after not going for so long. She does not let me pick her up and I can't afford any bites or scratches on my arms (former cancer patient). I will keep an eye on her - I only work two days a week and I'm off the next few days.

Thank you.
Whew. Thank goodness. It's odd for a wet fed cat to go that long though. I would get her in for an exam, have a urine sample taken, maybe some blood work. I know it's expensive, but, catching something early will cost less in the long run, and may avoid an emergency later on.

Glad you can keep a close eye the next few days. Watch her for frequent trips to the box, with lots of unproductive squatting, not just in the box, but other places especially soft or cold places.

Hiding away, crying, either when squatting or just..in general if unusual.

I didn't think she would let you handle her but worth mentioning anyway.

How old is your son? Is there any possibility he may have scooped the litter? Best wishes to him too.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Thank you.
Another thought is that it hurt to pee so she didn't pee it all out. I really would get her seen in the next day or two.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 PM

3,771 posts, read 3,603,343 times
I would still get her checked. If her kidneys aren't functioning properly, she wouldn't be making much, if at all urine, and she wouldn't be in pain because her bladder wouldn't be full. Glad she peed something, though.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:07 AM

I will try to get her in this afternoon or tomorrow. My son is here now and he can put her in the carrier. While I'm there I can tell them about the giant size poop from a while back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats