Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylinap View Post
My cat has been missing since last night. He is an indoor cat but he managed to slip through the open door. We have searched outside but no luck. I have contacted several places as well. I'm starting to worry I won't be able to find him or that some animals will get to him. How far would an indoor cat wander off? I want to be able to find him before we get snow on Sunday...what is the best way to find him and has anyone else had luck finding their cat?
As others have said, and indoor cat outside probably won't go very far, unless he was chased by something or otherwise spooked. He's more than likely still quite close to home. At the time of your post he had not been missing all that long (comparatively), and hopefully he's home by now. Keep looking around your property, calling his name, etc., and use whatever you can think of to entice him... his favorite people food for example.
These things happen, and probably most folks here have been through it. More times than not, kitty will find his way home when he figures out being outdoors has its down side. Keep trying and don't give up.

And keep us updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 PM

224 posts, read 285,882 times
My husband and I have searched twice today..once during our lunch break, and then after work. I have another cat that was his companion. I know it sounds crazy but if I bring her along my search in a carrier, do you think her scent would attract him to come out?

Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,736 times
Put the dirty litter box outside, if he is confused as to where home is that is a scent he will recognize. Stinky food is good too, like sardines. I don't think it would hurt to bring your other cat for a walk around in a carrier, it could be helpful if she is vocal.

Check local shelters, post on local Facebook pages, put up flyers, the more eyes looking the better chance you have of finding him.

Paws crossed for you.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
Oh, you poor thing. You and your husband must be frantic. One of our cats escaped during a house fire when I opened her carrier to put another cat in with her (the carrier was outside on the lawn). Fortunately, she didn't go very far. She showed up the next night at the food bowl I put out on my front porch.

Your cat may be terrified and hiding close by, afraid to move a muscle. Keep calling her and don't give up. Put flyers up and be sure you call and visit your local animal shelter.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:12 AM

We searched again today and no luck. We put up some flyers and a box with his companion's old towel and food. I'm just so scared he might've drowned or just froze to death, since there is a mansion nearby with its own private lake by the woods. Contacted every single animal clinic/hospital in town and no luck. I have also contacted some animal shelters nearby and nothing there either. I'm thinking it could be a bad scenario.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:28 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
I know it's hard, but try to keep the faith. It's only been a couple of days.

Have you been able to contact any neighbors?

Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I know it's hard, but try to keep the faith. It's only been a couple of days.

Have you been able to contact any neighbors?
Yes I have and nobody has seen him. The only place I haven't contacted is the neighbors who live in the mansion with the private lake nearby..but I have put signs up so hopefully those neighbors will see too.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,278,419 times
I totally understand what you are going through. Been there, done that. I hope Kitty comes home soon.

My thoughts are with you.

Cat

Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,569,713 times
Post flyers everywhere including all vets and shelters. You must go door to door and ask your neighbors to look in (or let you look in) outbuildings and garages and trash bins.

All paws crossed your boy is home soon, I can't even imagine how you must be feeling. xx

Old 03-11-2017, 10:48 PM

We put out some food but it still hasn't been eaten...I still think he may be in the woods somewhere..Has anyone had any luck finding their cat in an unfamiliar area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats