Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times

Advertisements

So, Josette just had her 3rd birthday last week. Since we got her (at the age of 10 weeks or so), she has always been a bit standoffish. I would reach out my hand to pet her and she would run. She would rub against my foot if I stuck it out and would come up to me when I am in bed but that was about it. I always say out of all the mental cats I have had, she is the "mentalist."

We just got back from our annual 6 week trip and not only are Electra & Elvira all over me, so is Josette! I didn't see her the first day we got back-which is what I expected from her. But after that, she has all over me. She has jumped in my lap several times-this is the FIRST time she has EVER jumped in my lap! Is it possible that she is turning into a lap kitty? Yesterday, I saw her sleeping close to Elvira (they weren't snuggling-that would be asking WAY too much). In the evening when we are eating (we eat in the living room since it is only the two of us), Elvira is there licking her chops at Hubby. Electra is on my chair trying to check out my food. (Yeah, we usually give them a taste. ) Normally Josette is no where to be found but this week, she is right there with the other two asking.

So, is it possible that after 3 years, she has FINALLY adapted to being part of the family? Or is this just because we have been gone for so long and she will go back to her "old self?"

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,259,315 times
Sounds like the kitty lightbulb lit up over her head. "Hey, these humans are pretty good! They feed me and pet me and clean my litter box and dang it, I miss them!".

Old 03-14-2017, 07:20 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Maybe Josette feels comfortable with you now although since you got her as a kitten I'm surprised it took so long. I have one that I adopted this past September. She was 6 years old, had been left at the Humane Society by her owners when they "moved"; then she was adopted and brought back twice because she is not playful.

She still won't sit in my lap and she still hates being picked up but little by little I notice she is getting closer and closer to me. Where she once would sit on the couch if I was sitting there she kept her distance. Now she at least lets her body touch mine and she sleeps a little closer to me at night in bed.

She follows me into the bathroom all the time now and she actually rubs up against my leg when I'm at the dining room table. This is huge for her. She still won't play with anything for longer than 10 seconds but maybe she is just not playful. She has her sudden burst of energy where she will pick up a toy, throw it up in the air, chase it and that's it.

I'm hoping in time she will sit in my lap and be more affectionate but if she doesn't that's okay also. I went to the shelter and asked to take home the cat that most desperately needed out of the shelter and that's how I got Rowan. They told me she hated other cats but I had to borrow my son's carrier when I took her to the vet and she is fascinated by the smell of his cat on the carrier.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:10 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Sounds like the kitty lightbulb lit up over her head. "Hey, these humans are pretty good! They feed me and pet me and clean my litter box and dang it, I miss them!".
I hope this is the case. Crossing my fingers!

Old 03-14-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I hope this is the case. Crossing my fingers!

I'm hoping so, too. She was just in my lap again. The thing is, she doesn't settle down. She jumps in my lap, walks all over me, and then jumps down. One time she did settle down. And of course, I get up to use the bathroom and come back she is has stolen my seat. (Well, this time it was Elvira who did that. lol)

I just wonder why it took so long for her to come out of her shell. 3 years? I always said that she has acted like she was abused but I KNOW she wasn't. In fact, one of our catsitters is the guy we got her from. (He still has Josette's mother & sister.)

Cat

Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
Sounds like a case of "Don't know what you've got until it's gone".

I had a standoffish cat once. He wasn't afraid of me but when I did extend an arm to pet him, he'd dash. Always made me sad that he didn't trust me. At least, that is how I felt. My friend told me that when he was eating, take that opportunity to stroke his back. I started out with just one or two strokes until he let me pet him throughout his entire meal. Eventually he associated good stuff (food) with touch and became the most affectionate cat I've ever had. (RIP Monty)

I'm glad Josette is coming around. And tell her I said Happy Belated Birthday!!

Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Enjoy what she is giving you. It may be more in the future.

We caught Cha-Cha and ShadowCat in bed together last Sunday, ours to be precise. At opposite sides but a start after six years.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:35 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I'm hoping so, too. She was just in my lap again. The thing is, she doesn't settle down. She jumps in my lap, walks all over me, and then jumps down. One time she did settle down. And of course, I get up to use the bathroom and come back she is has stolen my seat. (Well, this time it was Elvira who did that. lol)

I just wonder why it took so long for her to come out of her shell. 3 years? I always said that she has acted like she was abused but I KNOW she wasn't. In fact, one of our catsitters is the guy we got her from. (He still has Josette's mother & sister.)

Cat
There's no timetable for epiphanies, they happen when they happen. Like the ShanIam said, your absence may have had something to do with it. Whatever it was, just hope it's a permanent change for her. I know what it's like to have one that can't (or won't) be part of the family. My own similar situation corrected itself after I retired, and started being home every day.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM

Well, apparently that was only short lived. I guess she isn't going to become a lap kitty after all. She does come up to me at night-but she has always done that.

Cat

Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
Well, apparently that was only short lived. I guess she isn't going to become a lap kitty after all. She does come up to me at night-but she has always done that.

Cat
I had one of those too. My old girl Rainbow (RB 2013) wasn't a people cat at all, and with one exception, didn't like other cats much either. She was the Alpha and duly appointment Sheriff of the house. We got her as a kitten and she was never feral, but always had a no nonsense temperament. she didn't mind being close to us, but never got in our laps or let us pet her. She saved all of her affection and cuddles for her true love, which our resident male Stormy. She had no interest in anyone else.

She started to change and become a bit more affectionate in her later years. I noticed her coming to me for attention when she was around 8 or 9 years old, and as time went she let me pet her more and more.
Point is, she really mellowed as she aged, and maybe Josette will as well. Don't give up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats