Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:57 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,872,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't know the status of the relationship you have with your roommate, but she needs to understand that a happy and contented cat needs more attention than she is willing to provide (apparently). The 2 main problems of spraying/urinating and poor diet are easily remedied (neutering and better food). But being left home alone for long periods of time is another matter. It seems your roommate doesn't understand felines very well, or hasn't committed to her pet as much as she should. Either way, you might (tactfully) suggest she find the cat another home, or make some serious changes in her attitude towards her pet.
This may sound a bit harsh, but too many people consider a pet a possession that can be ignored when they're inconvenient. You're roommate may not be like that, but she needs to step up and take better care of her cat, or find someone else who will.

And bless you for doing what you can to help the cat.
ITA!

You can point out that the litter box will smell much better after he is neutered. I can't imagine having an un-neutered cat indoors with that stinky pee! He will not be as destructive either (though obviously he will need mental and physical stimulation)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM

29 posts, read 22,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I don't know the status of the relationship you have with your roommate, but she needs to understand that a happy and contented cat needs more attention than she is willing to provide (apparently). The 2 main problems of spraying/urinating and poor diet are easily remedied (neutering and better food). But being left home alone for long periods of time is another matter. It seems your roommate doesn't understand felines very well, or hasn't committed to her pet as much as she should. Either way, you might (tactfully) suggest she find the cat another home, or make some serious changes in her attitude towards her pet.
This may sound a bit harsh, but too many people consider a pet a possession that can be ignored when they're inconvenient. You're roommate may not be like that, but she needs to step up and take better care of her cat, or find someone else who will.

And bless you for doing what you can to help the cat.
Thank you for your advice. I was really concerned when I saw his litter box. But at the same time, I wasn't quite sure whether I was just overreacting. I will try and talk to her when she comes back from her trip.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'd definitely leave her some of the literature, or print out the web site of any local place you find.

What I'd do is put down a water dish and she may keep it up. I'd also mention the cat had diarrhea and you gave him the same food as your cats and it cleared up. You said she doesn't mind spending on him, so she might be open to switching - especially if it smells better. Has she had a cat before? Maybe she just doesn't know anything about cats. It doesn't sound like it.
No, I don't think she's ever had a cat before. But she mentioned her family had a dog growing up. Maybe she doesn't think cats need as much attention as dogs do? Anyway, I was scheduled to help out at a local shelter this weekend, so when I am there, I will definitely get some helpful flyers and information.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
ITA!

You can point out that the litter box will smell much better after he is neutered. I can't imagine having an un-neutered cat indoors with that stinky pee! He will not be as destructive either (though obviously he will need mental and physical stimulation)!
I will definitely tell her that. I've noticed how his litter box smells worse than my cat's even though I'm cleaning both every day. I didn't know it actually has something to do with him not getting fixed. That's interesting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats