U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM

9,795 posts, read 6,287,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
ROTFL I hope you took a photo of this! He sure kept himself busy!
I didn't, because when I got home I was in a hurry to get ready and head back out to a party that evening. I grabbed up all the bags as quick as I could, snuggled my silly catterz and then had to change and stuff. But looking back though, I really wish I had thought to snap a few pictures. I kind of wish I had cameras set up to record the whole thing.

That's the thing about having a cat though...I wish I had a camera on him always, never know what he'll do. We could totally have been famous on Youtube by now, I bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I haven't a clue what his message might have been, but he did get your attention. At least he didn't leave a damp surprise in your shoe.

Glad to see you back btw. Was starting to think maybe you were abducted by aliens or something.
Nope, not abducted by aliens! I departed for greener (kinder) pastures after the Relationships subforum caused me to lose faith in humanity somewhat. But from time to time, knowing there were some few posters here I'd really enjoyed talking to, I came back and wrote in the "blog" section of my profile to kind of say "Hey, I'm still around and life is improving."

I moved into an apartment a little over a year ago, and Nimbus the cat had to cope with his first relocation from a big house to a small apartment and a lot less territory. But he handled it like a champ. My 16 pounds of silver floofy mischief has never yet pottied outside of his litterbox for any reason, he's a good boy. And I bought a new big upholstered armchair for the living room from Goodwill which he has enjoyed tearing huge holes in. But, see, my solution to scratching furniture, is to buy cheap used furniture and not be particularly attached to it. I use throw blankets if I want it to look nicer. I love my cat more than I will ever love a chair. Let him scratch it.

And he likes to lurk in the bathtub, and ambush us when we walk by the bathroom. I often walk by and see just the eyes and ears sticking up, and he promptly ducks down...then peeks...then hides...and finally if I move on, comes running out and does an attack posture at me, but doesn't actually make contact, then runs off. We have discovered that he hates Paul Simon. I bought some songs and I was playing them, and he complained loudly about it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM

Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 AM

6,726 posts, read 11,757,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey, I have been away for CD for quite a while. Not sure just how much I'm returning to the site yet but wanted to pop in and share a cat story for my cat peeps.

My magnificent Nimbus cat, was displeased, because I was out all night. (My son was home, he got fed, his routine was just disrupted as I wasn't there for him to lay on my feet and sleep that night.) So the next day when I got home, and went to my room, I discovered a surprise...

We have a cabinet in the kitchen, which Nimbus is able to open, full of plastic grocery bags. He had removed ALL OF THEM, and carried them down the hall and deposited them in my bedroom. The entire floor was a sea of white Walmart bags. It must have taken him all night.

He has never done this before, or since.
Is it wrong of me that I laughed out loud at this?

Welcome back, Sonic_Spork! And I look forward to many more Nimbus stories (and pictures of course).

Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 AM

3,273 posts, read 1,949,833 times
Quote:
I moved into an apartment a little over a year ago, and Nimbus the cat had to cope with his first relocation from a big house to a small apartment and a lot less territory. But he handled it like a champ. My 16 pounds of silver floofy mischief has never yet pottied outside of his litterbox for any reason, he's a good boy. And I bought a new big upholstered armchair for the living room from Goodwill which he has enjoyed tearing huge holes in. But, see, my solution to scratching furniture, is to buy cheap used furniture and not be particularly attached to it. I use throw blankets if I want it to look nicer. I love my cat more than I will ever love a chair. Let him scratch it.
I completely agree. You should see our living room furniture. I suppose we should buy some more, but the kitties would have it scratched up in short order. I also have great scratching posts, which the kitties also love to use. But while it decreases their furniture scratching, it doesn't stop them 100% from scratching the couch and loveseat. Both of those pieces are over 25 years old, so we've already gotten our money's worth.

I hope you stick around, Sonic_Spork. I like your stories and your approach to felines.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM

31,212 posts, read 57,343,818 times
Nimbus is as handsome as ever!

Old 06-10-2017, 05:22 PM

7,614 posts, read 5,114,931 times
Quote:
I didn't, because when I got home I was in a hurry to get ready and head back out to a party that evening. I grabbed up all the bags as quick as I could, snuggled my silly catterz and then had to change and stuff. But looking back though, I really wish I had thought to snap a few pictures. I kind of wish I had cameras set up to record the whole thing.

That's the thing about having a cat though...I wish I had a camera on him always, never know what he'll do. We could totally have been famous on Youtube by now, I bet.

Nope, not abducted by aliens! I departed for greener (kinder) pastures after the Relationships subforum caused me to lose faith in humanity somewhat. But from time to time, knowing there were some few posters here I'd really enjoyed talking to, I came back and wrote in the "blog" section of my profile to kind of say "Hey, I'm still around and life is improving."

And he likes to lurk in the bathtub, and ambush us when we walk by the bathroom. I often walk by and see just the eyes and ears sticking up, and he promptly ducks down...then peeks...then hides...and finally if I move on, comes running out and does an attack posture at me, but doesn't actually make contact, then runs off. We have discovered that he hates Paul Simon. I bought some songs and I was playing them, and he complained loudly about it.
That's been my philosophy for almost 30 years. Much less stressful for all concerned IMO.
And thanks for the pics of Nimbus. I had almost forgotten how much of a handsome devil he is.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 AM

Thanks! And well...thanks on behalf of the cat, though I'm pretty sure he knows exactly how handsome he is, or at least he acts like he does.

He's very majestic, when he's not being a complete goof.

Last night, my boyfriend and I were watching TV, and he was up in his cat tree, lounging in the highest perch, with his head and upper body hanging out, sideways, watching us watch TV, at a 90 degree cat-angle. It was one of those, "how on earth could that possibly be comfortable?" poses.

And he has a new hobby of intimidating inanimate objects. Is it odd that I have only ever seen him growl or hiss at random things, and only very rarely? He growled at a lamp. He hissed at my purse. Such a weirdo.

EDIT: Those pics were taken of him indulging in another of his odd pastimes, staring at the bathtub drain. I wonder if he once saw a spider go down there, or if he can hear the suds or some other noise coming from it? But he'll sit and patiently watch like it's the most fascinating thing.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks! And well...thanks on behalf of the cat, though I'm pretty sure he knows exactly how handsome he is, or at least he acts like he does.

He's very majestic, when he's not being a complete goof.

Last night, my boyfriend and I were watching TV, and he was up in his cat tree, lounging in the highest perch, with his head and upper body hanging out, sideways, watching us watch TV, at a 90 degree cat-angle. It was one of those, "how on earth could that possibly be comfortable?" poses.

And he has a new hobby of intimidating inanimate objects. Is it odd that I have only ever seen him growl or hiss at random things, and only very rarely? He growled at a lamp. He hissed at my purse. Such a weirdo.

EDIT: Those pics were taken of him indulging in another of his odd pastimes, staring at the bathtub drain. I wonder if he once saw a spider go down there, or if he can hear the suds or some other noise coming from it? But he'll sit and patiently watch like it's the most fascinating thing.
On the bright side... at least he's staring at something, which is better than staring up at a blank wall at nothing (which frequently happens at my house).

On the not so bright side... he's hearing strange creature sounds coming from the drain (you probably don't want to know), and he's standing guard to protect you.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
On the bright side... at least he's staring at something, which is better than staring up at a blank wall at nothing (which frequently happens at my house).

On the not so bright side... he's hearing strange creature sounds coming from the drain (you probably don't want to know), and he's standing guard to protect you.
Oh, he does that, too. I am convinced he's experimenting with the human "monkey see/monkey do" and "made you look" stuff. So he'll stare at nothing, and then I'll look, and when I look back at him, he's staring at me. Every time. I think he's testing his ability to control his human.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, he does that, too. I am convinced he's experimenting with the human "monkey see/monkey do" and "made you look" stuff. So he'll stare at nothing, and then I'll look, and when I look back at him, he's staring at me. Every time. I think he's testing his ability to control his human.
That's been my take on it too.

There's another option that I don't like to think about... that cats can hear termites eating wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats