U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM

7,607 posts, read 5,111,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, we moved over the last five days or so, into a townhome (from an apartment.) It's about twice as big, and plenty of roam-room for the Nimbus. He was pretty spooked at first, slinking around smelling everything, and trying to become one with the carpet every time he heard a noise. But he's getting used to the place. I think.

I made the mistake (again) of shutting a door to my room behind myself to change clothes, and got to hear him catsplain from the other side about how I am his human and there should be no doors between us.

I got him a cool toy, it's one of those compressed catnip things, but it's got holes in it, and seems to be formed around a plastic ball (I assume) inside that has LEDs that flash on impact, and a chirper. And it's got a feather-floof sticking out of it. So we have light, chirping, feathers, catnip, ball. Yeah. Pretty perfect. Found it at Petsmart. Nimbus has been grabbing it by the feathers and flinging it across the room, then chasing it.

And we've let plenty of flies into the house while moving, so he's been having fun chasing and eating them.

There was a box I put a few things in, that needs to go to storage, and the top flaps are just folded shut. Nimbus keeps getting into it, but he can't get out. He only does this when we are sitting in the living room, and then he meows to be rescued. Another exercise in "training your human" I guess? I finally put the box in a closet.

And finally...last night, he did what he often does, after I got settled into bed, he hopped up and got comfortable next to my legs, and I thought he was going to go to sleep. He was there a while. Suddenly, he startled up, and bolted out of the room. Like zero to warp speed. I have no idea what he heard or why he did that. I got up to investigate, it was so sudden, like I thought he might be hearing someone coming into the house. He had run downstairs, and was sprawling out on the hall floor. No sign of anything to cause a sudden wake-and-zoom. Wrote it off to "cat being weird" and went back to bed...
Add me to the Nimbus Stories Fan Club too. As for the bolded.... I've heard it said that nearly all structures (especially wooden houses) make noises all the time, and most of them are so low we can't even hear them. If that's true, maybe that's the cause of those sudden alerts over nothing that our cats are noted for. Imagine what we would be hearing if our ears were as good as theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:16 PM

9,783 posts, read 6,282,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^^ I love your Nimbus stories! What a joy and treasure he is for you....and I know the opposite is true, as well.

I don't know.....I think I need to see a new picture of Nimbus.....eh?

Alright, let's see if I can do this...had to find a new image hosting site thingie...

Here are the ones I had posted before Photobucket started messing with me...

And here is another one, of the cat-in-a-box...

And my phone's camera lens has got some damage so it no longer takes great photos, but despite the weird lines and stuff this kinda came out good, this is a relatively recent picture...

Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,366,225 times
Ahhhh, thank you! He's a beautiful boy!

Old 09-14-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Ahhhh, thank you! He's a beautiful boy!

Thanks!

Note in that last photo, how one ear is turned in my direction. I was talking to him and saying his name, trying to get him to look at me for the picture, and this is him being like, "Yes, I hear you, but whatever I am looking at is more interesting right now."

Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM

6,724 posts, read 11,753,874 times
Sonic_Spork, I love that last profile picture ... but I am amazed at how nicely your remotes are lined up! If I put mine on a table like that one of my cats would undoubtedly swish them off with his or her tail!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sonic_Spork, I love that last profile picture ... but I am amazed at how nicely your remotes are lined up! If I put mine on a table like that one of my cats would undoubtedly swish them off with his or her tail!
You know, I don't think he's ever knocked the remotes off. He doesn't tend to knock things off of surfaces with his tail, but he does do "gravity experiments" or pushing stuff off tables with his paw. Mostly any kind of cup or bottle of liquid. Especially a water bottle or similar. He'll come up and delicately rub his whiskers on the top, and then push it right off the table. Other small objects like pen or a bottle of aspirin on the desk or table, yeah, he will push those off, too. But not the remotes. He doesn't seem to care about them.

This morning, he had the zoomies, and he was dashing around the house and up and down the stairs. I sat on the floor to trim my toenails, and I'm focused on making sure the slivers get to the trash and everything, like ya do, and Nimbus the Wonder Spaz comes flying into the room, jumps on my back, bites my hair, and then when I exclaimed, "Nimbus!" and went to push him off my back, he zoomed off again and down the stairs. Of course he is rather a large cat, so him pelting about the house sounds something like a herd of miniature elephants. Bowling. With frozen turkeys in place of bowling balls.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM

I have an ASTONISHING tale to report. We had a hot water heater replaced yesterday. While the man was working downstairs, a door was left open to the basement which is typically closed. We don't normally let the cat go down there.

My boyfriend suggested maybe we should let him explore, supervised, to satisfy his curiosity. I advised against it. Everything is about routine with the cat. He's not going to remember that he's been down there and it wasn't that exciting. If he's used to the door being shut, he won't expect it to be open. If he gets to go down there sometimes, he won't understand why he cannot at other times, and he'll complain. Either it's part of his prowl, or it ain't.

Well so. The door was left open. I came down the hall, to find Nimbus in "slink posture" (which he does when he is afraid, but cautiously curious) looking down the stairs and about to go check it out. I pointed at him and said in a stern voice, "Noooo, Nimbus!" and he looked at me, and turned around and went elsewhere. He actually...listened.

And twice now, I have watched him navigate this shelf where I have a number of resin gargoyle figures (I collect 'em)...some quite small, and would be easily overturned, and there isn't a lot of space for the cat to put his paws. And he's a big and very fluffy cat. I keep waiting for him to knock them over, but he does not, he gingerly, I'd almost say, surgically, maneuvers around them. I'm impressed.

Oh, and I have a large rock...a cluster of some sort of crystals, it's about the size of two fists held together I guess, and the other day I saw Nimbus sitting on it, like he was trying to hatch an egg. Very, "wtf dude, that can not possibly be comfortable." Weird cat.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 PM

2,693 posts, read 967,071 times
Weird cat = tautology

Old 10-04-2017, 01:36 PM

So I have been super busy helping my boyfriend get his stuff packed, moved, his old place cleaned out...we are getting so close to being done, with the "move that never ends"... But I have had to spend many evenings over there working. I would come home, make sure Nimbus has been fed and check in with my kids, then head out and be gone until late. Nimbus has not gotten as much of my time or attention as he would like.

So yesterday I come home, and I am rushing around trying to get my act together so I can head over and work, and Nimbus is of course underfoot, trying to be right there with me wherever I am. Finally as I'm sort of ignoring and dodging him, he shoots up ahead of me in the hall, and flops down on the carpet right in front of me, stretches himself across my path, and rolls around showing me his belly.

I did take a few minutes to give him some snuggles then, since he was being so very insistent about it.

He woke me up this morning inspecting my face and ear while loudly purring. If it is possible for a sound to actually tickle, it did.

Also, he now has a new human to exercise his con game on. My boyfriend came home for lunch, and made himself some cold chicken, and Nimbus was so interested in it, that my boyfriend was convinced he must be very hungry, and put a can of food out for him. So he got 4 cans that day, instead of 3. I think boyfriend is not used to the notion of a cat that doesn't get fed dry food, so it's weird to him that there isn't food out and available at all times.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:26 PM

7,607 posts, read 5,111,496 times
I don't know how experienced your boyfriend is with spoiled cats, but you may need to warn him about the 'fake look of starvation' routine. I've never met a cat that wasn't good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats