Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 08:18 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times

Advertisements

We bought a tent for our two sister cats a couple months ago and they love it! We will either put it on the front porch or the back deck and once we were planting some bushes in the back so we brought the tent to the grass but partially in the shade.

Now whenever we go outside to grill or do anything else they will dart outside on the deck and one will run down the stairs. And when the doors are open but the screen doors are closed they meow up a storm because they want to be outside.

Wondering if we are spoiling them! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 10:07 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I hope nothing spooks them when they are outside and they run away ... you could lose them forever.

Honestly don't understand why anyone would take that chance.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:22 AM

Back yard is fenced. They're not going anywhere

Old 06-10-2017, 02:28 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Back yard is fenced. They're not going anywhere
Cats can't get over fences?

OP, I DO hope they don't go anywhere ... I just would never take that chance, and sorry, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. Too many predators around in most areas.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Cats can't get over fences?

OP, I DO hope they don't go anywhere ... I just would never take that chance, and sorry, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw your post. Too many predators around in most areas.
No. Not a 7 foot wood fence

Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
If they have claws they might be able to climb a wooden fence that's neither here nor there. Glad you found something they love. Still trying to find that magic bean for my cat.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:52 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If they have claws they might be able to climb a wooden fence that's neither here nor there. Glad you found something they love. Still trying to find that magic bean for my cat.
That would depend on how smooth the wood is. I've seen some fencing planks that had a hard, smooth surface that I don't think a cat could sink his claws in good enough to climb more than a foot or 2. That said, most of the fencing I have seen was of the rough & unfinished variety that a cat could definitely get his claws in. Also the average young cat can jump 3 feet or better, and would cover nearly half the height of a 7' fence. Wouldn't take much climbing to get the rest of the way. It really depends on the fencing material, and how bad the cat wants to get over it.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times
I have a 7 foot fence. One of my cats is spending majority of her summer days outside. I know I've been scolded on this forum for letting her outside, but she was never a jumper, and now, at 9 years old and with a knee problem that flares up occasionally, she can barely jump on the counter (although she still does, ugh), let alone scale my fence. She's been in this yard for 5 years now, about 300 days a year, and likes to go out even when it's snowy outside. She does ask to be let in almost instantly. She never escaped. One time my babysitter let her out and left the gate open. She did venture outside the fence, but didn't go far. I came home about 30 minutes later to find her at the front door.

My younger cat, on the other hand will be gone from the yard in a flash. He can't quite scale the fence, but he figured out a few corners where there is a "step stool": a tree that's close to the fence, or a compost bin. He is also a little Houdini, and will run out as soon as the door is open.

So, you need to know the cat and observe their behavior in the yard. I know I don't want to deprive my girl a little pleasure of basking in the morning sun on the patio, and there is no real risk there for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats