Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 10:32 AM

560 posts, read 451,175 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My kitten (he was born 2/25) got his rabies and his second round of distemper last night....after sitting in the vet office for 2 hours. He slept with me like normal last night, but he was more whiny when we picked him up. This morning he ate a small amount of food, but every time we pick him up he whines. He doesn't seem to want to play, but he will follow my finger if I put it in front of him. He isn't feeling warmer than normally and his eyes look good.

Is this normal for a kitten? I called the vet and they said I should bring him in, however they made me wait 2 hours last night cause they failed to check us in. I had even asked twice about when we were next! They are also a good 30 min car ride. My parents said it could take him 24-48 hours to feel back to normal. He got his shots last night around 8pm

I know my dog and older cat can act off after going to the vet and getting vaccines. I'm just worried cause he's a baby and he is not being his normal self.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 02:49 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,222,748 times
My vet puts a notice on the bottom of the bill when my cats get vaccinations: "Some cats may experience lethargy and soreness after their vaccination. If this persists for more than 24 hours, please call the office."

My own experience has been that very young and very old cats are the most likely to be lethargic and blah the next day, especially if they get more than one vaccination. As long as he is drinking, eating a little bit and using the litter box, I would just keep an eye on him for a day or so.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My vet puts a notice on the bottom of the bill when my cats get vaccinations: "Some cats may experience lethargy and soreness after their vaccination. If this persists for more than 24 hours, please call the office."

My own experience has been that very young and very old cats are the most likely to be lethargic and blah the next day, especially if they get more than one vaccination. As long as he is drinking, eating a little bit and using the litter box, I would just keep an eye on him for a day or so.
He is eating. He ate his whole bowl of food this afternoon. He is just resting most of the day so I got nervous cause I am use to the super playful and wanting to be held kitty. He hasn't had an accident on the floor so I am assuming he is using the liter box as normals

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:04 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,922,688 times
Don't have more than one vax done at a time. When my cat needed both rabies and FVRCP boosters they were done 2 weeks apart, per the vet's recommendation.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:06 PM

I'm happy to report my kitty is back to himself. He was playing and eating this evening around the 24 hour mark.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:27 AM

3,963 posts, read 4,222,748 times
That's great. Glad to hear it.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 AM

2,976 posts, read 3,897,490 times
I'm glad he's doing better.

Our Ringo had a bad reaction to a rabies booster (hiding, would not eat, cried in pain) and we had to take him to the vet. We will no longer vaccinate him because of this.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene S View Post
I'm glad he's doing better.

Our Ringo had a bad reaction to a rabies booster (hiding, would not eat, cried in pain) and we had to take him to the vet. We will no longer vaccinate him because of this.
I have to get the rabies because of state law and my apartment rules. He is doing great now. He won't be getting the other shot again. Only his rabies.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
That's great. Glad to hear it.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats