Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:55 PM

730 posts, read 769,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I love to see Aslan grooming Misto!
Yeah but it's like groom for awhile, then it looks like he nips him. No one has drawn blood or anything but Misto screams bloody murder sometimes when Aslan tackles him. I'm really not understanding this. So Misto will jump out at Aslan, Aslan attacks, Misto flips out. Aslan will no longer stop "attacking" when Misto screams. Finally Misto gets away and hides, Aslan chases. Misto hides for about 2-4 minutes, Aslan walks off. Misto explores and freaks out when he sees Aslan and run, sometimes Aslan will tackle again and sometimes not. After awhile Aslan calms down and lays down. Then Misto attacks Aslan again. Cycle repeats. And grooming always happens at the beginning of the first play/tackle/attack session.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 08:39 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
Maybe that's just their game. Neither of them gets tired of it, so they must enjoy it. You can try and distract them or just hope they wear it out eventually.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM

They are doing better today. Lots of playing and no Misto screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuJeMlINfLY

Old 07-16-2017, 10:03 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Ladies and gentlemen, I do believe we're witnessing the transformation of a Doodlemom into a Crazee Cat Ladee! LOL

Misto is adorable. I love the way he leaps right in on Aslan. You're in for hours and hours and years and years of mischief, mayhem, hilarity, and cuteness overload.

I snorted laughing when you mentioned volunteering in the food section - too much temptation? I've accepted that my limit is 2 cats, with the occasional short-term foster, so I can freely volunteer at a cat rescue and squee over all the kitties without risk. It helps, too, that I'm allergic to cats.

And should you be worrying about them "fighting", my two cats fight like crazy at times, and they're siblings. Ten minutes after a big fight, they'll be snuggled up together and grooming each other. I wouldn't worry unless play turns vicious - and swatting, growling and hissing aren't necessarily vicious.

You're doing such a good job with all your critters! Sounds like you've got a happy, happy home.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 AM

1,625 posts, read 1,355,564 times
Adorabubble!

Old 07-16-2017, 03:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomCoS View Post

I applaud you for being concerned, but there's nothing going on here that you need to worry about. What they are doing is normal play, education, and sibling interaction. When you see kittens of the same age playing, they are learning vital skills for hunting prey and self defense. You may even see the same thing between kittens and their mother cat. In your case the same thing is happening, but the sibling (Aslan) is bigger and stronger. He most likely will not hurt Misto, intentionally or otherwise, but the size and weight difference will be over Mistos expectations. Kittens squeal and play the victim if their adversary gets the upper hand even during normal play. It's just what they do, and usually it's a signal for the other to lighten up a bit or break off the match. With Aslan & Misto, there's going to be lots kitten drama because the little one will be on the short end of the stick more times than not.
You will notice that Misto is perfectly willing to tackle Aslan again, and Aslan is perfectly willing to wrestle him again. Why? Because they are both having loads of fun, and enjoying themselves. So relax a little, sit back, and enjoy their antics.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:54 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
Quote:

I wish mine would play like that.

It is obvious that the two of them are enjoying each other. Aslan is spending most of his time on his back-meaning he is not trying to dominate Misto. He only over-towers him a bit to let Misto know that he went just a bit too far and Misto responded by running away. Nothing to worry about at all. The way I see it, they are going to be friends for life-and that is a VERY good thing.

Like I said, I really wish that my cats would play together like that. What I have in my house is a constant battle of who is Alpha.

Cat

Old 07-16-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I wish mine would play like that.

It is obvious that the two of them are enjoying each other. Aslan is spending most of his time on his back-meaning he is not trying to dominate Misto. He only over-towers him a bit to let Misto know that he went just a bit too far and Misto responded by running away. Nothing to worry about at all. The way I see it, they are going to be friends for life-and that is a VERY good thing.

Like I said, I really wish that my cats would play together like that. What I have in my house is a constant battle of who is Alpha.

Cat
Yep, me too. The only two I had that were friendly to each other have gone to the Bridge. Outside of those two, it's always been a case of "peaceful coexistence with conditions".

Old 07-24-2017, 11:38 PM

So I wanted to update. Now that the cats are clear of coccidia we resumed the dog/cat cohabiting project. Pickles (2nd doodle introduced) is pretty scared of Aslan and gives him a lot of space. It only took 1 swipe from Aslan on their second or third meeting (and the swipe was in the air like "back up, dude!" ) and pickles wants nothing to do with him.

When I brought Pickles up yesterday he just climbed in my lap, all 55 lbs of him. Aslan is stretched out ion the floor, owning the room. Misto is Leary of dogs but then forgets and plays with cat toys. Pickles will not chase. Misto comes back in and tries to play with pickles tail. Pickles pulls his tail up around him.

So then I brought Mac up too, since he is more confident with the cats. The energy definitely changed with 2 cats and 2 dogs occupying the area. Mac went to smell Aslan, no problems this time. Aslan rolled on his back. Mac went to smell Misto, Misto freaked and hissed and Mac backed up but Aslan also got between Misto and Mac, with Misto behind him. Mac backed away, sat down, and chilled out. Pickles is glued to the couch. After Mac backs off Aslan lays back down in the center of the room.

Then Mac goes over to pickles and starts thumping his tail. Pickles gets excited and gets off the couch. Both are looking at Misto. Misto hisses and runs away. Both dogs have more excited body language. Aslan looks directly at Pickles. Pickles does a tiny whine and jumps back on the couch. Mac hangs near Aslan but still alert body posture toward Misto who is hanging in the kitchen. Mac really wants to smell him.

Interesting times.

Last edited by DoodlemomCoS; 07-24-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
So I wanted to update. Now that the cats are clear of coccidia we resumed the dog/cat cohabiting project. Pickles (2nd doodle introduced) is pretty scared of Aslan and gives him a lot of space. It only took 1 swipe from Aslan on their second or third meeting (and the swipe was in the air like "back up, dude!" ) and pickles wants nothing to do with him.

When I brought Pickles up yesterday he just climbed in my lap, all 55 lbs of him. Aslan is stretched out ion the floor, owning the room. Misto is Leary of dogs but then forgets and plays with cat toys. Pickles will not chase. Misto comes back in and tries to play with pickles tail. Pickles pulls his tail up around him.

So then I brought Mac up too, since he is more confident with the cats. The energy definitely changed with 2 cats and 2 dogs occupying the area. Mac went to smell Aslan, no problems this time. Aslan rolled on his back. Mac went to smell Misto, Misto freaked and hissed and Mac backed up but Aslan also got between Misto and Mac, with Misto behind him. Mac backed away, sat down, and chilled out. Pickles is glued to the couch. After Mac backs off Aslan lays back down in the center of the room.

Then Mac goes over to pickles and starts thumping his tail. Pickles gets excited and gets off the couch. Both are looking at Misto. Misto hisses and runs away. Both dogs have more excited body language. Aslan looks directly at Pickles. Pickles does a tiny whine and jumps back on the couch. Mac hangs near Aslan but still alert body posture toward Misto who is hanging in the kitchen. Mac really wants to smell him.

Interesting times.
Apparently Aslan is taking on the role of protecting 'little brother', and is doing it in an appropriate way. From what you describe, it seems the intros are going very well indeed. Aslan and your Doodles get some credit for that, but most of it goes to you. You're putting a lot of time and effort into the process, and it shows. Hopefully it will continue to go well, and you'll have a happy & playful furry family to enjoy.

Glad to hear the cats are over their bugs, btw. That's always good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats