Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:53 PM

730 posts, read 769,337 times

Advertisements

When we got our cat, someone on here mentioned orange tabby males are known to be sweet. Are there other known gender color combos that produce certain general personality characteristics? I'm thinking of tuxedo cats (black with white down the neck and mid section), calico, solids, etc? And like the calico, are some color patterns more prevalent in a gender?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 11:38 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Tortoiseshells are said to have "tortitude." That's the only one I'm sure of.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times
Orange Tabby Males are definitely sweet. Our Dweezil is a huge mushbucket.

Torties definitely have tortitude. Siamese or certain other color point breeds are kind of known to be schizo.

It so happens we have a Tortie point Siberian/Balinese (not sure which one as she came from a shelter) and her personality is just fascinating!

Old 06-18-2017, 07:23 AM

457 posts, read 497,015 times
I have two ginger males. One is sweet all of the time, the other is sweet half of the time - he has a split personality.
We have also had a torti female. When I met my husband she was part of the package.
Honestly, she is the only cat that I can say I was ever scared of. You could be petting her, she's purring, then she would attack........without warning.

Horribly mean cat.

I think Calico's are usually female, I used to think that about orange cats, not so much now.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:36 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I have found the orange tabbies to always be nice. So are the tuxedo cats I have owned. The two least friendly cats were an all white female, whose brother was a brown tabby and WAS friendly and the current shelter cat I have, who is a brown tabby. Since I didn't get her until she was 6 1/2 I don't know how much of her behavior is her personality and how much is her bad experiences with people.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Our vet will tell you that calicos DEFINITELY have a cattitude. Electra is a prime example of that.

My torti Brandy was VERY sweet-except when it came to some male cats. She didn't mind Bear & Swatcha but when we got Andy, MAN, she used to go after him. She used to go after a neighbor's male cat, too. She was never aggressive with humans.

Cat

Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
All white cats with blue eyes are most often congenitally deaf, which makes them seem unfriendly.

My mother had a male orange fat bast - er, kitty cat who was so nasty to everyone but her that the vet, after surgery, called her to drive over there and take him out of the cage. Apparently he was too vicious to everyone else. The exception to the rule - except that when she arrived to find him reared up in the cage like a bear, he took one look at her and melted into a big pile of smooshy orange love.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times
Of course a lot of what you get in an adult cat depends on the circumstances/environment at birth and early development, with any trauma they experience thrown in on top of that. But if all of that being equally 'normal', some generalizations can be evident. Through personal experience, and what I've heard/read from other cat folks, is the following;

* Most orange cats are male, and have easy-going & loveable personalities. Same for orange and white males.

* Calico cats are almost always female (1 in 3000 is a male), and have an abundance of cattitude. I had four of them at one time, and I can tell you that's absolutely true as far as they were concerned. They were all very loving to their humans (even possessive), but hated other cats. Each one considered herself the Alpha on top of that.

* I've not had the pleasure of living with a Siamese, but I understand they can be very talkative and clingy to their humans. As another poster said, I've also heard they can sometimes be good candidates for a thorough kitty mental evaluation.

* Years ago I had the good fortune of living with a Tortiseshell female. She was a very loving and almost a velcro kitty to her people who would talk your head off whenever she felt the need. She was also a quirky little goofball who never had a bad day. The Brits say that to have a Tortie in your home is to bring good fortune.

* Just my personal experience and carries no weight, but with the cats I've had I've found females generally bonded more to their humans, and disliked other cats. The males were more laid back and while bonded to their humans, they also showed more affection/bonding to other cats. That's with everyone spayed & neutered btw.

All of this is just FWIW.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,924,021 times
We have a calico and yes, she sure has a lot of cattitude, more so than any cat I've had before.

Our tuxedo boy is easy going and a real goofball.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:37 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Catdad - I have found just the opposite with all the cats I have owned over the last 45 years: the males tend to be friendlier and the females are a little more aloof even thought they are all neutered. I tend to adopt the males for this reason except with my current cat Rowan. She needed out of the shelter the most and she was the perfect age (6 years old) for me. I have had her 9 months and she just now meows at me and rubs against me. I actually pulled her into my lap one day on the couch (she always sits perpendicular to me with her butt closest to me), scratched her head and behind her ears and she stayed! Well for about 2 minutes but then she moved to the other side of me on the couch and laid up alongside me with her whole body touching mine. It was the first time she ever did that.

She loves being brushed, just don't pick her up. She has never hissed, bitten or scratched me but she lets you know she doesn't like it so I don't do it unless she has to go to the vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats