Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 10:36 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times

Advertisements

As much as I like to see pets get adopted, I am not fond of adoptions between two individuals. You never know who you are giving your animal too, believe it or not some people troll Craigslist looking for pets to "adopt" and then they are used in rituals, experiments, or otherwise hurt or killed.

An agency like we have here locally charges $100 adoption fee, which covers spaying/neutering, shots, check up, and tests for illnesses. It is a hell of a deal, and it weeds out the people who are not going to be serious about owning a pet. They make you sign a contract and that also scares some people into not doing it unless they are serious adopters.

If you are really wanting to adopt another cat, there certainly is no shortage of them, both kittens and adults, in fact, there is a huge surplus of them compared to the number of people who adopt them. Go to a Petco, or Petsmart and you will have no trouble finding the perfect new roommate. You will be saving a little life and it will enrich your life too. Consider an adult cat too. They are not adopted as readily as kittens and they make wonderful pets without having to go through some of the "kitten issues" that some people find trying.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
NEVER give a cat or any other animal to a stranger whom you have not been able to thoroughly check. People frequently post ads to get small animals as dog-fighting bait, laboratory experiments, or torture. Yes, there are some very evil people. There are humane societies and pounds that will accept all animals. Many pounds will even pick up. If you must abandon an animal a painless death is better than dealing with someone who seeks strangers on the internet rather than goes to a pound or shelter. Please note that the OP quickly disappeared when people suggested legitimate adoption ideas.

I really wish I had not had to write the above but that's what the world is.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Yep, I thought the original post was a little odd too. Why does someone have to ask someone for a cat when there are literally thousands and thousands of them at various shelters ? The lady who heads up our local rescue league warned me about putting the kittens I was trying to find homes for on Craigslist or any other person to person means. She said some people get them and then feed them to their snakes......God, I can't even begin to imagine that or want to imagine that.

The days of just handing off kittens and cats to someone else are pretty well gone. Usually, the cat never gets a checkup or spayed/neutered, and then the adopter gets discouraged and puts the poor animal out to fend for itself. We just took in a little Tortie that someone in our apartment complex put out and she is the sweetest little cat and I am so glad we found her. Even our two male cats get along well with her.

Don

The newest member of the family.

Last edited by don1945; 07-29-2013 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

The newest member of the family.
Calicoes are one of the flashiest cats. Shes very pretty. I'm glad she found a forever home with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats