Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times

Advertisements

If she was living outdoors, other cats would have been competition for food and any other good things that come the way of outdoor cats. She sounds like she's not minding you loving on her, so I think she just needs more time to understand the concept of not hating or fearing other cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:54 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
She is back inside! She showed up Saturday night and the neighbors behind us decided to set off fireworks for well over an hour. It scared her and she ran off before she had any food. We did not see her again until yesterday evening, we were both really worried. She looked thinner and full of dirt and burrs. I cleaned her up and put her in the house. She seemed to recognize all the kitties from last time she was in the house and the hissing and carrying on was greatly diminished.

She spent last night on the enclosed porch with food, water, litter box and cat bed. This morning she came in again and there was a bit more hissing and threatening, but nothing major, knock wood. I am switching them out, when she comes in the house the others can go on the enclosed porch and when they come in, she goes out there. And when one of us can supervise they can all be in the house. She is exploring the house, sitting on window sills, etc.

Last night I put her on my lap while we watched netflix and she stayed put and fell asleep for about half an hour. She would make a great companion for someone who only wants one cat, but maybe she'll settle in and adjust to living with other cats as well.

Crowgirl, thank you for the info. I checked the Clear the Shelters website and there aren't any participating in our area.

Rene, we initially called her Blackie as well because she is black and white. Now her name is Bella. Fingers crossed that your Blackie comes around and decides to be an indoor kitty. Incredible that so many people think abandoning/neglecting/mistreating animals is just fine.

NRaleighMom,
she is lucky to have you. Sad when they are so shy and afraid, but desperate for affection. I bet she will eventually come around. Years ago, we trapped a 100% feral and her two kittens who were in danger of being poisoned by someone. She was approx. 2 or 3 at the time and she lived to 18 or 19. She would come sit on laps and allow us to pet her and dote on her. She did not like being picked up for too long and she had to go to the vet to have her nails trimmed, but other than that she made a complete turnaround. She passed away last March and we miss her. We still have one of her daughters who is going on 17 now. She had surgery to remove a liver cyst a few months ago and is doing really well.

NYC Refugee, you are absolutely right. I kept putting food out Saturday and Sunday night when she was missing and saw a beautiful big gray cat help himself. I assume it's a "he" because it's a big, muscular cat. So she was likely being terrorized and chased away from food by other cats in the area. This one appears to be hungry as well so I am going to keep putting food out.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:26 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
While I'm sorry she had to be so scared like that, I'm glad she's back inside! Maybe she'll change her mind and decide inside is better. Crossing my fingers for you!

Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Things are going great!! Her personality is emerging more and more and she is a sweetheart. Loves to be brushed and loves attention, greets us when we come home, is getting better with the other kitties. When she asks to go outside I let her on the enclosed porch. So, it looks like we might be successful at integrating her, knock wood.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Things are going great!! Her personality is emerging more and more and she is a sweetheart. Loves to be brushed and loves attention, greets us when we come home, is getting better with the other kitties. When she asks to go outside I let her on the enclosed porch. So, it looks like we might be successful at integrating her, knock wood.
Hooray! What great news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats